Son had problem on the imagination

lennel

Just got off the Pride Sunday and saw several coffee cups break after being dropped while we were waiting to disembark.

I do recall some plates or cups breaking on the Imagination in June. I am not sure what they are made of though but some were dropped and did break. It wasnt where passengers could be affected though.

There was absolutely no negligence on the part of Carnival (if we can assume that what we have been presented with is 100% true, which is difficult as we are getting it through a third party). They are not responsible for everything that happens on their ships, nor should they be. They are responsible for what is within their control.

As for "goodwill" money, save it for those with legitimate issues. The complain-long-and-loud-enough-and-they-will-give-me-something (also known as a "gimme grab') mentality cheapens us all.

I have worked in the service industry for over 40 years and although my employers incurred safety incidents at times, they were all not the fault of the company or it's employees. It is truly unfortunate that the laws dictate liability to a company even when the fault clearly lies directly or indirectly with a customer.

Several of you mentioned uncertainty regarding who dropped the plates and/or who caused the plates to drop. I believe the quote below from the OP in post #8 narrows it down to the child or his parent. Regardless whether it was the child or the parent, it remains an acccident, unfortunate as it was. I concur with most of the posters that a sincere apology for the situation was warranted by the cruiseline staff, but not an apology that anyone connected with Carnival was to blame.

"An adult thought his 5 year old should do the buffet line, he grabbed ast the plates 2 or 3 of them hit the floor......".

I small token of empathy would suffice in this case, but no more.

My son and his fiance were on the carnival imagination, for a birthday cruise to mexico, on the first day on the Buffet line, plates were dropped and my sons fiance legs were cut pretty badly, Carnival sent her to the infirmary were they bandaged her up but it pretty much ruilned the trip because she could not go into the pool, swim at the the beach or do any thing that involved walking alot, they asked for compensation on the ship, but...all they recieved was we are sorry, Why do the have Glass Plates on a buffet Line? accidents do happen but they should have had unbreakable plates there do to passengers who are clumsy, adults thinking there kids are old enough to walk with a plate etc. I went to a buffet the other day they had correlle unbreakable plates,Carnival should have foreseen this a s an accident waiting to happen. I travel Carnival quite a bit including one of the being one of the first Passengers on the Dream, I had just booked the Sunshine for May but have now cancelled that reservation until something can be done about my son and fiances dilema, They loved the ship, and the shows but thats all they could do, when they came back they called the cust relations department who said they would get back with them, which they did in a form letter stating we are sorry but thats it. I for one cannot support a cruiseline that looks the other way I am Platinum with RCCL and have alot of points with carnival, I also have been on NCL this is the first time we had any problems, and my son has been on Carnival at least 8 times in the last 8 years not a good way to treat guests. What do you think?

Sorry about your son's cruise. It sounds like an unfortunate accident in which your future daughter-in-law was injured. Although that accident could have occurred on any cruiseline-RCCL, NCL, Disney etc. So I am not sure how cancelling your reservation is going to help. I agree Carnival could have at least handled it better since it was not your son's fiance's fault but things do happen when a lot of passengers are together. If your son has travel insurance perhaps they could reimburse him since that is what insurance is for. Hopefully he will get some sort of compensation. Sorry it ruined their cruise.

it makes no difference who dropped the plates, but in this case it was a year old. If someone spills water on the floor and you slip on it it is the fault of the store, if a worker comes to your house and gets hurt it is your fault, what is the difference here? Glass plates were dropped a person got hurt enough to go to the infirmary? If unbreakable paltes were there there would be no problem, they have plastic cups.

It actually does matter who dropped the plates and how long the condition existed. Carnival is only liable if they had actual or constructive notice of a dangerous condition. Because the plate breaking was a spontaneous occurrence, Carnival had no opportunity to prevent the injury. Therefore, there can be no liability. Accidents happen. Yes, glass or ceramic plates will break, a knife will cut and a fork will puncture. Are you suggesting that Carnival should do away with metal utensils becasue something bad can happen?

No, this mindset is the problem with this country...it's YOUR fault!!! Watch where your walking, be responsible for your own self.

As to your situation, you have failed to describe her injuries. It sounds like they were very minor, and she chose not to swim on her own accord....just as if she cut herself shaving. In that case, Gillette needs to pay up :rolleyes:

I'm thinking minor injuries too. The OP wasn't there. Just because dressings applied, doesn't mean major. No mention of stitches needed. Who chose not to go swimming? Them? Did Carnival say no? Couldn't walk..really? I'm sure she got plenty of attention from other passengers. Rumors fly. I know that happens, as it happened to me. Got all kinds of attention.

I'm sorry the young lady got scratched though.

Oh, please DON'T go to plastic plates:eek: It will be called a cutback and threads will start. I see the point of safety, but I believe plastic looks cheesy and eventually carries a stained look.

Please don't encourage Carnival to use plastic plates! They harbor food odors, are less sanitary, are just plain cheap.

Assist your child at the buffet instead.

My response to you after your also felt it necessary to put this on Johns facebook page was and is still the same...

Lenny, It seems to me like Carnival did all they could to help your future daughter in law by sending her to the infirmary and taking care of her cuts... Accidents do happen but I don't see what else you want from Carnival.

Just wondering if "Lenny" has repeated this complaint to Yelp, Trip Advisor, the Better Business Bureau and anyone else she can think of to embarrass Carnival.

As Tonit posted "It's possible Carnival did apologize and offer something like chocolate covered strawberries or a bottle of wine,

etc but it seems the OP is wanting $200 as stated in a previous post."

Yep, that's would be my guess.

My son and his fiance were on the carnival imagination, for a birthday cruise to mexico, on the first day on the Buffet line, plates were dropped and my sons fiance legs were cut pretty badly, Carnival sent her to the infirmary were they bandaged her up but it pretty much ruilned the trip because she could not go into the pool, swim at the the beach or do any thing that involved walking alot, they asked for compensation on the ship, but...all they recieved was we are sorry, Why do the have Glass Plates on a buffet Line? accidents do happen but they should have had unbreakable plates there do to passengers who are clumsy, adults thinking there kids are old enough to walk with a plate etc. I went to a buffet the other day they had correlle unbreakable plates,Carnival should have foreseen this a s an accident waiting to happen. I travel Carnival quite a bit including one of the being one of the first Passengers on the Dream, I had just booked the Sunshine for May but have now cancelled that reservation until something can be done about my son and fiances dilema, They loved the ship, and the shows but thats all they could do, when they came back they called the cust relations department who said they would get back with them, which they did in a form letter stating we are sorry but thats it. I for one cannot support a cruiseline that looks the other way I am Platinum with RCCL and have alot of points with carnival, I also have been on NCL this is the first time we had any problems, and my son has been on Carnival at least 8 times in the last 8 years not a good way to treat guests. What do you think?

If you are looking for compensation then don't cruise RCCL either. I was at the ice show and the glass broke all over my legs and cut them. I was taken to the infirmary where they took the glass out and bandaged my legs. I also only got a we are sorry from them. It will not keep me from cruising RCCL again. I realize that accidents do happen.

So sorry this happened to your son and his fiance - I know how this can effect a cruise from experience. But I was just grateful I was not hurt worse and did not have to leave the cruise.

If you are looking for compensation then don't cruise RCCL either. I was at the ice show and the glass broke all over my legs and cut them. I was taken to the infirmary where they took the glass out and bandaged my legs. I also only got a we are sorry from them. It will not keep me from cruising RCCL again. I realize that accidents do happen.

So sorry this happened to your son and his fiance - I know how this can effect a cruise from experience. But I was just grateful I was not hurt worse and did not have to leave the cruise.

I am sorry to hear about your ice show mishap.

I believe RC was one step more culpable then Carnival is in OP's case and would have hoped for more then a "we are sorry'.

In the end both are unfortunate accidents and as one wise CCer posted, "Po Po happens".:D

I am sorry to hear about your ice show mishap.

I believe RC was one step more culpable then Carnival is in OP's case and would have hoped for more then a "we are sorry'.

In the end both are unfortunate accidents and as one wise CCer posted, "Po Po happens".:D

I am not the type of person to demand compensation for accidents. Perhaps it comes from having a small business and I know some people are just looking for some way to get something for free. I did not ask RCCL for anything and they did not offer anything. Which is why I said it would not keep me from cruising them again (as a matter of fact I leave in 6 days for a cruise on Royal:D) and I was thankful that I was not injured enough to have to leave the cruise.

On every cruiseline we've sailed the plates in the lido are hard plastic as are the glasses and coffee cups! :rolleyes:

I feel better reading this. I was beginning to think I'd lost my mind...14 cruises, 12 on Carnival, and I could swear the plates have always been a super hard melamite (sp?) type of plastic in the pool area.

Which makes sense...it is the pool area. Glass is a very bad idea. It's why the "bottles" of beer are plastic too.

I am not the type of person to demand compensation for accidents. Perhaps it comes from having a small business and I know some people are just looking for some way to get something for free. I did not ask RCCL for anything and they did not offer anything. Which is why I said it would not keep me from cruising them again (as a matter of fact I leave in 6 days for a cruise on Royal:D) and I was thankful that I was not injured enough to have to leave the cruise.
Let me ask you as a small business man, wouldn't you want to try to do something for a customer who was harmed on your premises?

At one point I was a restaurant manager. If a staff member spilled food on a customer, you can bet we would pay for any dry cleaning

and give a bottle of wine, or comp that persons meal. It was the least we could do.

Therefore I '"would have hoped for more then a "we are sorry'. BTW we don't know if Carnival did anything more then medical care or not.

What's a bottle of wine?

Let me ask you as a small business man, wouldn't you want to try to do something for a customer who was harmed on your premises?

At one point I was a restaurant manager. If a staff member spilled food on a customer, you can bet we would pay for any dry cleaning

and give a bottle of wine, or comp that persons meal. It was the least we could do.

Therefore I '"would have hoped for more then a "we are sorry'. BTW we don't know if Carnival did anything more then medical care or not.

What's a bottle of wine?

what if another customer spilled food on that customer?

i wouldn't mind throwing some food on my wife just to get a free bottle of wine at your restaurant. or better yet, a free meal.

It actually does matter who dropped the plates and how long the condition existed. Carnival is only liable if they had actual or constructive notice of a dangerous condition. Because the plate breaking was a spontaneous occurrence, Carnival had no opportunity to prevent the injury. Therefore, there can be no liability. Accidents happen. Yes, glass or ceramic plates will break, a knife will cut and a fork will puncture. Are you suggesting that Carnival should do away with metal utensils becasue something bad can happen?

I have seen the plates stacked way past the retainers. Some stacked 2 feet over them. That would be Carnivals fault in such a situation.

What's a bottle of wine?

If a staff member was involved, you bet the result would have been different. In this case, it was supposidly a 5 year old picking up more than 1 dish and dropping them. Of course, his/her dad nearby should have been watching closer, especially since we don't even know how tall the stack of dishes was. We are missing facts, and only got a second hand report from the OP.

Wow - I'd be embarrassed to be whining about something so minor. Accidents happen, a 5 year causes plates to fall and your fdil gets some minor cut(s), which it appears that the cruise line treated for free. Why should they do anything more? Perhaps the Doctor told her to stay out of the pool with an open cut for the safety of others and out of the ocean to avoid infection. Hardly enough to ruin a cruise. Some times you just have to put your big girl panties on and get over it!

Agree, plastic plates on Lido. My son got hurt on an RCCL cruise and it was on thier equipment. Was on crutches the entire cruise. They didn't pay the medical bill for xrays, crutches, exam etc and I didn't even get an apology. I didn't care, I realize accidents happen and we made the best of it. It was on the first day so it did change up our plans but we lived and still had a nice vacation.

I believe they should have gotten a credit on the cruise for at least 200 dollars towards there expenses, or a future cruise

I can understand being upset over being hurt.

A child caused the plates to fall - therefore an accident - would have been nice if the childs parents appeared more concerned.

I am sure there was no bill for use of the infirmary.

Would have been nice if a small gift (token/wine) was sent by either the cruise line or by the childs parents - hey thats an idea!

A future cruise - absolutely not:confused::eek:

If a staff member was involved, you bet the result would have been different. In this case, it was supposidly a 5 year old picking up more than 1 dish and dropping them. Of course, his/her dad nearby should have been watching closer, especially since we don't even know how tall the stack of dishes was. We are missing facts, and only got a second hand report from the OP.

This. Staff didn't cause the child to drop the plate(s).

Archived