Bowling!

mabones

It doesn't matter if they are "regulation" size or not - with the movement of the ship anything can happen, however good you are!! I scored a strike on the Pearl without letting go of the ball - a large wave hit the ship and the pins all fell over!! I was happy :-)

time2cruise1 is correct they are shorter than regulation lanes and they are not oiled as they would be at your home lanes. Bring just your spare ball from home, that's all you're going to need. If you have a high back swing you will hit the low ceiling, look up when you're on the lanes and you'll see the dings above you. Have fun!

They are definitely not regulation on the Pearl or the Gem. And they were not oiled. Had a wicked hook that I don't have on properly oiled lanes, and could not hit in the right spot between the hook and the length. Not to mention the crowded approach with seating that encroached on it.

It was still fun, but there won't be any official league play or competition on those lanes.

It doesn't matter if they are "regulation" size or not - with the movement of the ship anything can happen, however good you are!! I scored a strike on the Pearl without letting go of the ball - a large wave hit the ship and the pins all fell over!! I was happy :-)

That sounds like my kind of bowling!

anyone that brings a bowling ball, shoes, or any other equipment is grossly overestimating these lanes :)

Fun for sure, but borrowed shoes and a ball you can fit your fingers into (along with a few drinks) is all that's needed for a hilarious time. :)

What does it cost to go Bowling on the Epic? Are they regulation lanes?

The responses to your question have been interesting to read. I can't help but notice that most people think of size when determining "regulation". Some others also consider the material used to construct the lane when defining "regulation".

I did, however, notice that everyone missed one very key fact. The bowling lanes are on SHIPS. They MOVE...up, down, left, right...depending on how the ocean is moving the ship. In order to actually be a "regulation" lane, amongst all of the other requirements, the LANE MUST BE LEVEL at all times! The "regulations" state: "A maximum 40/1000th inch will be permitted in levelness". So...in order to be "regulation" any lane MUST remain within 40/1000th of an inch of being level...a figure I strongly doubt could be maintained on a ship of all places.

So no....they are NOT regulation lanes.

anyone that brings a bowling ball, shoes, or any other equipment is grossly overestimating these lanes :)

Fun for sure, but borrowed shoes and a ball you can fit your fingers into (along with a few drinks) is all that's needed for a hilarious time. :)

Don't bring your own stuff, they won't let you use it. They will only allow you to bowl if you use their shoes and bowling balls. My partner tried to bring his own shoes because he hates the rental shoes and they wouldn't allow him to bowl unless he used their shoes.

jame_g, they DO let you use your own equipment, if you're a fingertip bowler it would be really hard to use house balls. When we did the Gem in Europe, all 3 of us brought 2 balls each with our shoes. After that cruise and we saw the set up we just brought a spare ball and our shoes on the other cruises.

I really did not care if they were regulation, they were still right up my alley. We had to watch our language though. They dont like gutter talk. And yes, we had a ball!

I wasn't sure of your angle at first but you hooked me on the idea of bowling on the Gem! I will approach it casually though and try to strike up some conversations with other bowlers in my spare time.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm looking forward to my April cruise. Can't wait to experience Bowling at Sea!

Wait until you have a nice storm day with high seas. You can tell if the water in the pool or spa is sloshing around :)

What does it cost to go Bowling on the Epic? Are they regulation lanes?

We did bowl on the Epic, as we did on the Gem. Not sure about regulation, but with the ship's movement, bowling is not a precise art on a cruise ship. We had fun, laughing at each other's balls curving into the gutters.

Archived