Anyone had this situation come up...

chikenkicker

I booked my upcoming cruise cause I haven't had a vacation in almost 3 years, pretty much since my last cruise.

I use it to get away from my life and everything here for a short time.

Now here's the problem, I coach a bible quiz team at my church if anyone doesn't know what that is, it's a competition between 2 teams on general bible knowledge I coach the grades 1-6 range. Well I found out Sunday that 1 of the quizzers on the team will be on exact same ship as me at same time.

Book something to get away and they follow you there without you knowing it until shortly before.

At least I found out ahead of time so I can try to avoid him as much as possible cause you know kids they can be annoying at times, lol.

But has anyone else had that cruise to get away only to find out someone you're getting away from shows up on same ship?

Trying to think this one through... So.. Just so I am clear on the situation...

You teach a bible team... To kids... About the bible... And my man Jesus... Who sacrificed his life for us... And now you are on a cruise with one of those annoying buggers who you have to spend much time with on land... And you wish that you could just be without that kid because that's what your heart.. And your faith are telling you is right?

Let me know where I may be off...

Don't worry about it. A few years ago we sailed during my kids school district Fall Break (Oct) out of Galveston. 75% of the passengers were from my town which is six hours away from Galveston! We ran into numerous people who knew us or our kids including a teacher from my kids school.

We all managed to have a good time.

In 2006 my mom passed away after being her care giver for almost a year. My husband and I decided to go on a Princess cruise to relax and get away since we just went through a tough year. We were excited to be getting away and having some alone time. We were only on the ship for a couple of hours, when there was a knock on our cabin door. My husband opens the door, and standing in the hallway was my husband brother and his wife! They decided to "surprise" us. Thankfully, their cabin was on another floor, however they did change our dinner reservation from a table of 2 to a table of 4. Needless to say, this was not a happy surprise for us.

Wow. Now THAT is some nerve.

Peg

You teach a bible team... To kids... About the bible... And my man Jesus... Who sacrificed his life for us... And now you are on a cruise with one of those annoying buggers who you have to spend much time with on land... And you wish that you could just be without that kid because that's what your heart.. And your faith are telling you is right?

Just because the OP teaches bible to kids doesn't mean he wants to be surrounded by his students while on, what he hopes, is a relaxing vacation. He's looking to get away from it all. Just as I'm sure you wouldn't like to spend your time off on a cruise with your boss, or a co-worker, nosy neighbor, etc. Jeez give him a break.

Just as a teacher likes to teach, that doesn't mean they want to spend their vacation time with their students.

YES! I have had this happen! A couple of years ago, one of my graduate students came up to tell me she was going to be out a week, and would miss my class on x date. I laughed, and said, "Me too!" She told me she was going on a cruise. I didn't laugh. She told me the ship. I wanted to cry, but said, "Me too." She thought I was joking. I did run into her a few times on the ship, usually on Lido. One day in particular, she yelled across the Lido deck (from her table with her family to where I was at the buffet) Dr. C! Dr. C!" I. was. mortified! My mom could not contain her laughter.

No matter how much we may love what we do, and the people with whom we spend our time, we all need some time away or apart.

I booked my upcoming cruise cause I haven't had a vacation in almost 3 years, pretty much since my last cruise.

Now here's the problem, I coach a bible quiz team at my church if anyone doesn't know what that is, it's a competition between 2 teams on general bible knowledge I coach the grades 1-6 range. Well I found out Sunday that 1 of the quizzers on the team will be on exact same ship as me at same time.

Book something to get away and they follow you there without you knowing it until shortly before.

At least I found out ahead of time so I can try to avoid him as much as possible cause you know kids they can be annoying at times, lol.

But has anyone else had that cruise to get away only to find out someone you're getting away from shows up on same ship?

I had a cousin go on a cruise and see our uncle and aunt on the same cruise. It's a big ship they ran into each other once or twice

We had I think 3 cruises in a row with the same lead female singer from the production shows. 2 were the same ship but a year apart. so we thought ok no biggie but then she was on our next cruise too. We started to feel she was following us:p We have also seen other crew on different ships but that is probably pretty common.

I can relate to this problem since my wife and I are both school teachers and when we encounter students in public sometimes they can be a little annoying. Although the ship is large you will run into the child at some point but be polite and tell him that you will see him later.

I have always managed to see folks I know on my past four cruises. And they are not those I'm doing cartwheels over because we are on the same cruise, if you know what I mean!:eek:

As mentioned...BIG ship! I really don't allow someone to put a damper on MY vacation! If you change cruise dates, there may be others on the new cruise that you would like to see even LESS! ;)

You and this kid are going to have very different interests on the ship so you probably won't see each other and I'm sure the kid won't be thinking about you in the least during the cruise. They are too busy having their own fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have no idea what this kid is like. If she feels he'll be annoying, the only reason she'd bring up the subject because he IS one of those annoying ones. There really are some out there

As for liking kids or not, she explained that. I'm in the medical field, but keep my mouth shut about it. Almost every one wants "free advice", that's annoying. Hey, I go on vacation to get away from it.

Its "kinda" funny that you mentoned the free medical advice thing. On my last cruise I had a severe allergic reaction to something on our last port day. Both of my eyes were puffy and swollen. One was swollen nearly shut. I just did as I have always done a home I used the eye drops that my dr. gave me for such incidents as well as some otc drops (they used to be prescription) and took my oral allergy meds. I took a shower and wore my big sunglasses to dinner in the mdr that night. We had tablemates that were nurses. They insisted that I take off my glasses to show them my wonderfully distorted eye and then started giving advice on what to do. They persisted into the next day with questioning me as to why I hadn't done a few things they suggested that seemed counterintuitive to how my Dr. who knows my history has me handle things. So the persistent people can come from both sides of the coin.

A few years ago, the week after school ended we ran into my daughter's kindergarten teacher and our vice principal. Later that day my daughter got her hair braided and "couldn't wait to show Ms B.!". I told her that we will "try" to find her, but we are NOT going to bother her. I ran into the teacher the next morning, and apologetically explained that my daughter wanted to show her, but that i understood if we didn't "manage to find each other, as you're on vacation". Later that day the teacher called our cabin to plan a meeting time to show her the braids.

If we hadn't made plans, we truly would have only run into her those two quick times (and the second time I was alone).

And this was a small weekend ship.

So - yes it's easy to miss people. And #2 - I would hope that mother would also think like I did and respect that you're on VACATION.

I have discovered the same woman aboard ship on many cruises, actually all the cruises I've been on. It's like she knows my schedule and follows me. :eek:

Yeah, I have the same issue with this one guy. He's kinda sexy though and I have had him back to our cabin often, every night actually. LOL :rolleyes::p

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Our last cruise we had ot drive to our port because i had to work--coach a cheer team. I was talking with one of hte reps--there are 100's of them but this particular rep's parents have a boat docked by ours during the year. I said I had to hurry to get out of there because I was going to the bahamas. She said what a coincidence I am going there to next week. She said she was cruising and you can imagine the conevrsation from there. I was truly taking htis b2b cruise to get away from my business so was a little apprehensive. I saw her only 1 time on a port day--asked how it was going she said great and she was on her way. Ships are large and you probably won't run into the child much if at all.

I run a storage facility and ran into 2 different sets of my customers! 1 I really like and 1 owed me lots of $. That was a bit weird seeing him because he knew he owed and was on a cruise. Lets just say he settled up real fast when he got back when I sent the letter to get rid of his crap.

I understand your problem. I am a teacher and one year my husband and I had booked a cruise on the Dream during our spring break and then we found out that a student in my room along with her parents would be on the same ship. I admit I was worried, but I only ran into her a couple of times and then it was a quick hi. I don't think you have to worry.

To the people calling me she, I'm

A he. Not she. And I already said I don't hate kids, I don't hate this kid. He's just already said if he sees me he'll bug me. He's a good kid though and I know there won't be a problem.

I would speak with the parents and explain to them that you don't mind saying 'hellos & whatnots" but that you expect to have your vacation time alone with your wife.

I'll admit it it, I don't do kids unless they have 4 feet so I am sure your tone would be much nicer then mine.

On my Triumph Cruise Nov. 10th, a woman in our group is sharing the ship with her ex (thats she's still hopelessly in love with) and his girlfriend. She apparently doesn't know that he'll be on the ship, just everyone else in our group. That could get interesting in a not so "fun ship" kinda way!

I can not wait to read your review!!!!! This one could prove to be very eventful.

Archived