Hawaii Guidebook suggestions

brainerdgal

We will be on the POA September 28-October 5, 2013. This is our first trip to Hawaii, and we're very excited! We aren't sure yet how long we'll be in Honolulu pre and/or post cruise, but we know we want to spend several days there in addition to cruising the islands.

I've been reading current and older Hawaii threads here that give many great suggestions and tips. But all of the information is kind of overwhelming to sort out.

Can anyone recommend a good guide book or books for Hawaii? I've heard of Hawaii for Dummies and the Revealed series. Any thoughts on how helpful they are?

This board is invaluable, but a guide book or two might help narrow our focus and be a good supplement to the info here.

Thanks!

We will be on the POA in May next year and I also wanted a book to read. Coming all the way from Australia I wanted to ensure we didn't miss out on anything. We went to a local bookstore and found a book published by lonely planet called Hawaii. This book is full of good information and ny hubby is slowly reading through it.

The "(Island name)Revealed" books are excellent, but are very detailed and might be even more overwhelming if you only have a few days to spend on an island. The Lonely Planet guide is good, but there are plenty of others - just go to a local bookstore and browse. Even though I love my Kindle, this is one of those times when an actual book store serves better than browsing ebooks online!

Been on two land trips there (the first one was completely guided, so I didn't have to research beforehand) and two cruises on Princess RT from LA. Kept guidebooks from those last two cruises and now updating my notes for a third cruise (on Princess, of course!). My daughter and I were doing some research together to see what new places we can see. But we may repeat some activities.

The "(Island name)Revealed" books are excellent, but are very detailed and might be even more overwhelming if you only have a few days to spend on an island. The Lonely Planet guide is good, but there are plenty of others - just go to a local bookstore and browse. Even though I love my Kindle, this is one of those times when an actual book store serves better than browsing ebooks online!

The "Revealed" books are fantastic.

There is a line of travel books by Anne Vipond, they are all from cruising stand point and are quite good, nice size, high gloss paper easy to read, lots of maps. She highlights are the important things to see and do.

What I really like about here is that she doesn't favor any one cruise line over another.

She also keeps them reasonably updated, but then places like Haii and it's islands there hasn't been anything new in quite a few years.

You can buy them online new or used and I've also purchased off of ebay.

The "Revealed" books are fantastic.

They are the best but some have ignored their warnings when going to less travelled locations & have been severely injured or killed. It's one of the reasons that locals don't like the books...ignore the warnings & some locations can be very hazardous. Some ignore the cultural significance of some previously less known places which is another reason locals may not like the book. Respect the land & the conditions so everyone can enjoy the experience.

Another vote for the Revealed series!!! We found them to be an excellent source of informtation and if you rent a car they make it easy to find your way.

I have the whole series... Another vote for them. Good deals on Amazon for them. The Oahu book just got a new edition (4) a few months ago so it is full of fresh info...

We will be on the POA September 28-October 5, 2013. This is our first trip to Hawaii, and we're very excited! We aren't sure yet how long we'll be in Honolulu pre and/or post cruise, but we know we want to spend several days there in addition to cruising the islands.

I've been reading current and older Hawaii threads here that give many great suggestions and tips. But all of the information is kind of overwhelming to sort out.

Can anyone recommend a good guide book or books for Hawaii? I've heard of Hawaii for Dummies and the Revealed series. Any thoughts on how helpful they are?

This board is invaluable, but a guide book or two might help narrow our focus and be a good supplement to the info here.

Thanks!

If you don't mind doing research on the web, a good site is Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60982-Activities-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

The link will take you to a page on Trip Advisor that will give you the top attractions in Honolulu/Oahu. It's easy to read and a great source for travelers.

Archived