Which cruise line is best for a teenager?

priscillaisadog

Hello, Everyone!

I have cruised a few times before on a number of cruise lines, but never with a teen. I am planning a cruise to Alaska next June to celebrate my Godson's 15th birthday. (It will be my birthday, too, by the way.) I would like to know which cruise line has the best teen program.

Thank you!!!!!

Alaska is really more about the ports than the ship or cruise line, IMO. Most lines do a really good job with kids of all ages, and in June the programs will be in full-swing. The really big ships are popular with teens but they are too big for Alaska. And if you are on a 7 night cruise, 3-4 of those will be port days and one day for glacier viewing (don't know if this is something most teens would think is cool or not), so in all actuality, there's not as much ship time as you'd think.

Honestly, things to consider would be budget, how long of a trip can you take (the longer the better IMO), and what ports do you want to see (keeping in mind the excursion options in that port) and then go from there. When you factor those things together, it will automatically narrow down your options by a lot.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Alaska is all about the ports, scenery, wildlife, etc.

While in port many of the cruise lines do not offer a lot of children's activities as they expect you to be off the ship and seeing as much as possible.

I don;t know what you budget is, but whale watching would be great for a 15 year old -- Juneau and Sitka are great for whale watching and sea life tours.

For a 15 year old -- RCI offers a lot of choices.

Alaska is indeed about the itinerary.

With that said our experience is that either Princess or Celebrity would be great both in terms of sailing Alaska and having nice programs for children and having enough children on board to make it nice for your child.

Keith

After 54 years on this planet, I have come to the conclusion that today's 15 year old is yesterday's 18 year old. They seem to be growing up sooner in a sense.

Heck, when I was 15 I started taking flying lessons. Many sea captains started at 15 also. So depending on your 15 year old, almost any cruise line might work!

Our son is 17 now. We started cruising when he was 12. The first ones were with Costa the last three with NCL. He loves both lines but preferred Costa. I guess that was because on Costa there were more kids on the ship and not because of the program.

Perhaps you could check on CC at the date you are planning to go how many kids at which age will be coming along - just to get an idea. The best program does not help if ther are not many kids at the same age.

And I don't agree that it is more about the ports. The ports are mostly important to us adults. But there is still plenty of time to spend onboard. And our son loved being allowed to spend time with the group in the disco or when they did their own pool parties etc..

This is what we love about cruising: We had lots of fun and time together at the ports and meals onboard but also have time as a couple and our son with new friends.

Archived