Need help on Boston - got a few ideas

Gingee

I think you will be very pleased if you choose to stay in the Copley Marriott. It is within walking distance to Fenway Park, Copley Square and Boylston/Newbury St. The best part about it is that its located within a shopping center that has a few good tourism shops. Enjoy your stay! If you're looking for more info about Massachusetts and what you can do while you are here, I recommend checking out the state's tourism page, Massvacation.com.

The Doubletree Bayside is not in a very good area. The area borders on a not so safe part of town. The shopping center close by has a lot of problems. There is nothing in this area so you would need to drive to restaurants.

The last 2 summers, I've gotten a LNF lowest rate claim accepted at the Marriott Copley Place for somewhere in the $105-120 range, using the method that I describe in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30308190&postcount=8. However, you're still too early; try in the spring. I usually use either AA.com (or my new site, Mybowlingvacation.com), but search any 3rd-party booking site to see if you can get a lower comparison rate.

does hilton and marriott both accept prices from mybowlingvacation.com, have seen a standard room on it for a lot less than the hilton advertises the room for, it is an all suite hotel. thanks for the answer

does hilton and marriott both accept prices from mybowlingvacation.com, have seen a standard room on it for a lot less than the hilton advertises the room for, it is an all suite hotel. thanks for the answer

I have never used Hilton's best price guarantee, so can't comment, but it's certainly worth a try, especially if it's on a cancellable rate.

I have tried the best price guarantee with both Marriott and Hilton. Mariott was very fast in responding and I was successful in getting a lower priced room. Hilton was a big miss. They sent us a very lengthy e-mail and all sorts of screen shots as to why the rate wouldn't apply. Their rate was $229 and non-refundable (I did not book I called customer service to see if they would straight out match the lower rate of $169). The Bowlingvacation site had a refundable rate of $169 . Basically they would not match the rate because the Bowling site was refundable! It was the same room/floor/bed size and view etc. Needless to say we just went ahead and booked through the Bowling vacation site.

I have tried the best price guarantee with both Marriott and Hilton. Mariott was very fast in responding and I was successful in getting a lower priced room. Hilton was a big miss. They sent us a very lengthy e-mail and all sorts of screen shots as to why the rate wouldn't apply. Their rate was $229 and non-refundable (I did not book I called customer service to see if they would straight out match the lower rate of $169). The Bowlingvacation site had a refundable rate of $169 . Basically they would not match the rate because the Bowling site was refundable! It was the same room/floor/bed size and view etc. Needless to say we just went ahead and booked through the Bowling vacation site.

Did the Hilton site have a refundable rate for sale as well? I've actually encountered a similar issue with Marriott - the lowest rate on their website was non-refundable, the lower rate found was refundable. After the rejection I cancelled the original reservation (non-refundable rates on Marriott generally have a 24-hour window after reserving when you can cancel without penalty), and reserved the higher, refundable rate. My LNF claim was accepted without issue.

I would try the same with Hilton - it can't hurt to ask.

yes they issue a card for $50 when you check in room. yes you have to make sure the rates are the same, my bowling vaction is refundable and the cheapest rate is usually non refundable but they have a refundable rate that is higher. make sure they are the same, they let me know the next day.

• 3 months later...

We're driving in from Canada the day before. Like some other posters, we just want to stay, get to cruise port, cruise..... due to offspring, we only have a week, so can't combine trip to Boston with the cruise.

Is there going to be lots of chain type hotels like half an hour or an hour out (suburbs?) from the cruise terminal? Cruise leaves on Friday ... is the traffic gross? can anyone tell me if this is a good scheme? Thanks.

We need to stay overnight July 11th, leaving on NCL Dawn on the 12th.

We don't know what route .. whatever route the GPS tells us. Whatever hotel ideas I'm given, I can punch in. We're coming from Southern Ontario, through Syracuse, Rochester, etc. - so I-90, I guess.

Thanks for any help you can offer! I AM concerned about traffic, a bit, but I think if we're half an hour out of core and we leave wherever we are at 10:00, we might be okay? But I might be delusional about Boston traffic... we took a cruise out of NYC in March and, having driven in Toronto for many years, I assumed the traffic would be similar WRONG!!! never been honked at so much in all my driving days as I was in half an hour in Newark NJ and I don't even want to talk about what happened after I got through the Lincoln Tunnel, LOL!

You should be coming in I90. My advice is to book a hotel on Hotwire. There is a 2.5* hotel in the Waltham/Newton area for $89 that is likely to be the Best Western TLC and a 3* hotel in the Burlington area for $90 that is likely to be the Sonesta ES Suites. Both hotels offer free breakfast and have high approval ratings and ar an easy on/easy off from route 128/I95. The Burlington hotel would be close to Burlington Mall which has lots of restaurants and shops and movies.

It's hard to predict Boston traffic, but your plan of leaving around 10 am should work fine. I90 will take you downtown to the port, but if you choose to stay in Burlington, it would be easier to go up to i93 to go into town.

There are lots of hotels along route 128, but they cater to business travelers so prices are higher on a Thursday night.

What time would you expect to arrive in the area? Traffic would be more of a concern if you arrive the previous evening during the rush hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived