Need help on Boston - got a few ideas

Gingee

I think we are looking at the Mariott in Copley Square. Looks centrally located to what we need. Now waiting for a price besides the rack prices.

The last 2 summers, I've gotten a LNF lowest rate claim accepted at the Marriott Copley Place for somewhere in the $105-120 range, using the method that I describe in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30308190&postcount=8. However, you're still too early; try in the spring. I usually use either AA.com (or my new site, Mybowlingvacation.com), but search any 3rd-party booking site to see if you can get a lower comparison rate.

I think we are looking at the Mariott in Copley Square. Looks centrally located to what we need. Now waiting for a price besides the rack prices.

This will help knock 10% off the Marriott: http://travelcouponsonline.com/marriott-gift-card/ . Have to purchase before end of year, but the card never expires.

As for the Hotwire insurance mentioned earlier, be sure & read the terms:

http://www.hotwire.com/helpcenter/travel-protection/trip-protection/insurance.jsp Please note that Trip Protection does not cover you for change of plans due to non-emergency situations.

• 4 weeks later...

I know Embassy Suites Logan is not a hotel that is often recommended on here, but after looking at the reviews on a couple of sites decided to take a chance. We are four women needing a room for two days before a cruise in October and just wanted a place with shuttles and not too far from town that would not break the bank.

Here is what I wanted to share - I remembered the info I read on here for the Marriott Copely deal and checked Embassy's website to see if they had best rate guarantee and they do. I then looked on AA and found the rate of $213 for a double. I booked the a double room at the best available rate of $429 and then submitted a claim for best rate of $213 and this is the response I got..."Thank you for submitting a claim regarding Our Best Rates Guarantee for your upcoming stay at our hotel. We have reviewed the website and were able to confirm and modify your rate to $ 158.62 per night. In addition, upon check out, an American Express Gift Cheque will be sent via FedEx to:"

So not only did I get the rate for less than the $213, but I will also get a gift cheque mailed to me after the stay and I know where I am staying without blind booking. For what we need - this is a great deal.

That's a fantastic deal! Bravo! Well done. There's no reason not to stay there - you have good access to the blue line to pop over to the Faneuil Hall area. The only reason this hotel is not usually recommended is its price. If you were ever considering spending $429 on a Boston hotel, you would have a selection of very nice downtown hotels to choose from.

As I said you can easily get into downtown Boston plus you will pay only one less expensive cab fare to the pier because of the shorter distance.

Being that I live in Mass, used to work in a building right next to the cruise terminal, and my wife works in Boston every day, I think I know a few things about Boston.

1) Hotels are expensive. Staying at the Embassy Suites in Boston is quite acceptable if the price is less than everywhere else. They have a free shuttle that brings you to any airport terminal. Just take it to Terminal E. Then board the Silver line (which is a bus but is part of the subway system), and take it to South Station. From there you get access to the Red line. Or you can take the shuttle from Terminal E to the Blue line airport station, and then connect anywhere you want. I do not know if the Embassy Suites has a shuttle to the Blue Line, but if they do, then that is just as easy. When you return back, go to terminal A and then get off, and call the Embassy Suites and they will pick you up. Remember that when you are in the Blue line and the stop between Maverick and Aquarium, you are in the FIRST underwater subway tunnel in the US.

2) If you can get a place downtown, try and stay in the Back bay, or even the financial district. Both are great centrally located places. I have stayed in the Hilton on Broad Street a few times, and it is nice place. It has no amenities (no pool or the like), but has nice rooms, and is right nearby Faneuil Hall, the waterfront, etc.

3) The typical tourist places are:

- Faneuil Hall which has a lot of food and shopping.

- Fenway Park which has tours pretty much every day

- The Boston Commons which has the Swan boats in the summer

- Newbury street which has LOTS Of high end shopping

4) The port is very close to the city (as is the airport), and in fact you can get to the port via the Silver line (a different route), very easily. Instead of paying for an expensive taxi, take the Red Line to South station, and take the Silver line SL2 to the Design Center stop which is nearby the Cruise terminal.

5) A great place to eat right nearby the cruise terminal is Dry Dock cafe. No atmosphere, but incredible fresh seafood. The building behind the restaurant is a fish processing plant that sends seafood to many restaurants in the area. You will not get fresher fish anywhere. https://plus.google.com/105193008367386505232/about?gl=us&hl=en

6) The T (mbta.com) is quite good, and has a full day pass for $11 and a 7 day pass for $18. Well worth it. It is a lot cheaper than taking cabs around.

7) One very hidden secret place is at 470 Atlantic Ave. It is a 14 story building that has a outdoor walkway that is open 7 days a week from 10a to 5 P. It is free! The cool thing is that from it you can see Logan Airport, the Cruise Terminal, and a lot of Boston. http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/location.php?nid=5&sid=29

Any more questions, please ask.

Thanks, Reedl. I too am looking for Boston info for Oct. of 2013 for the Brilliance cruise to Canada/New England. Right now, I' ve got a reservtion for Marriott Long Wharf for $329. + taxes (totally cancellable). Am hoping also to find a lesser expensive hotel in a good area. What is your feeling about this hotel?

macy

Marriott Long Wharf is fine but the price is not.

Marriott Copley, which is in Back Bay, is $234.49 on aa.com for a standard room for Oct 12 which means it is eligible for Twickenham's technique to get a 25% reduction. See her post above. That brings the room down to $180 which is a steal for a 4* hotel in the heart of Back Bay.

Marriott Long Wharf is fine but the price is not.

Marriott Copley, which is in Back Bay, is $234.49 on aa.com for a standard room for Oct 12 which means it is eligible for Twickenham's technique to get a 25% reduction. See her post above. That brings the room down to $180 which is a steal for a 4* hotel in the heart of Back Bay.

Agree with above, but have a new favourite site for LNF lowest rate claims: mybowlingvacation.com. They have the Marriott Copley Place at $200 for your dates. And to the OP - the Marriott's now at $149 on the same site for July, so time to pull the trigger!

What an even more fantastic deal! Good for you Twickenham.

I've stayed in a bunch of Boston hotels over the years - the Marriott Copley, the Copley Westin, the Hyatt, Club Quarters, Copley Plaza, Seaport, Hyatt Harborside, Omni Parker House, and the Langham. Some were nicer than others and some were better located than others, but they were all more than acceptable choices. However, I would not ever pay a premium price to stay in any of them if there were a comparable hotel available at a bargain price.

Copley Marriott is one of my favorite locations. It is attached to Copley Place which means than in poor weather you have a place to hang out that has restaurants, movies, and shops. Good access to transportation plus all the restaurants and shops in the Back Bay area. It's good for wandering around safely at night - IMO much better than the hotels close to Faneuil Hall like the Marriott Long Wharf.

Oops - it's been a while since I've been to that theater. Thought it was still there. Anyway Copley Place is still a nice location, movies or no movies.

True, true. And I meant to say above that I totally agreed with your recommendation, but questioned the movie part only, yet somehow left out all that good stuff.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is in a fantastic location for walking to many sites, as well as being conveniently located near the T. My husband is a Marriott Platinum member and when we stayed at the Marriott Copley a few months ago, we got upgraded to an enormous suite with a fantastic view of Boston and the harbor.

I am from Boston. The city and surrounding areas are small...you can stay in Cambridge, Charlestown, North End, South Boston (Rennaisance Hotel is very nice and close to the cruise terminal). You will be able to see a lot! Boston is great. If you have time....go to Cape Cod or Ipswich Beach, see Salem (witches and all that).

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I went to the mybowlingvacation.com for Marriott Copley for July 18th for three nights and it gave me a rate of $513 with tax for standard room (not sure what the standard room is). Okay here is the cancellation policy:

Room Cancellation Policy

Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to 1 night/s fee

No-show is subjected to 1 night/s fee

So I take it that if I cancel anywhere from now up to one day before, I will be charged for one nights stay?

First time here, hope I am posting correctly . Need advice about a family oriented hotel in Boston. We are planning on walking to some of the sites, but we have a 5 yrs. old kid. We need a room for 5 .

We are sailing at the end of September and planning to see Boston for 2 days before sailing.

We will appreciate any advice

Thank you,

Pete

Okay I went to the mybowlingvacation.com for Marriott Copley for July 18th for three nights and it gave me a rate of $513 with tax for standard room (not sure what the standard room is). Okay here is the cancellation policy:

Room Cancellation Policy

Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to 1 night/s fee

No-show is subjected to 1 night/s fee

So I take it that if I cancel anywhere from now up to one day before, I will be charged for one nights stay?

The cancellation policy on mybowlingvacation.com is irrelevant, as you should NOT book on that site - rather, book on marriott.com and file a LNF claim as I described upthread (post #28). The ajusted rate will be $112/night, and will retain the original cancellation policy of the rate booked on marriott.com, which is currently cancellable until 6pm on the day of arrival.

Thanks for posting Twickenham. I've never used your technique and don't feel comfortable advising folks on the details other than making them aware of it, but I know that lots of folks have used it and have been very happy with the results.

First time here, hope I am posting correctly . Need advice about a family oriented hotel in Boston. We are planning on walking to some of the sites, but we have a 5 yrs. old kid. We need a room for 5 .

We are sailing at the end of September and planning to see Boston for 2 days before sailing.

We will appreciate any advice

Thank you,

Pete

A room for 5 is going to be tough. Could you provide the exact dates and the ages of all the children? Are you flying or driving? If driving what direction are you coming from? What is your budget?

Archived