Need help on Boston - got a few ideas

Gingee

Success! :D :D :D 138east, Twickenham, and Gingee, and everyone here, thank you sooooooo much for this best piece of advice ever! I am so excited to get such a good deal, for a quality hotel. Whew, now I don't even feel the need to try PL, as I'm happy with this rate and place. :cool:

BTW, the rate I'm now paying is $127.94 per night, weekend in May!

I'm so excited for you. What a great deal! It was worth all your time and effort and angst to follow up on it. Have a great time.

Thanks! I'm so excited, too! Yes, this one took some doing, but being retired, I do have time! Of course, being retired, we also have less money, so every bargain helps us to go again!

We've cruised a lot, and I'm usually good at bargain travel, but Boston through me for a loop! This CC board and the people are simply the BEST!!!! :D

I know what you mean. I am doing a TA in Aug and am having a wonderful experience on the roll call. The TA ends in Boston and I have already been able to give advice to folks from as far away as Australia. They want to go to Niagara Falls and were looking at a bus tour which apparently caters to groups of budget Chinese tourists - not really the best choice for them - so I found them other options. I've also been able to take advantage of joining several tours as well as booking a hotel in London where about 40 people are staying plus group bus transportation to the port. Someone even put up a web site for the cruise!!

Anyway, when you start planning what you are doing in Boston, post back with more questions.

I know what you mean. I am doing a TA in Aug and am having a wonderful experience on the roll call. The TA ends in Boston and I have already been able to give advice to folks from as far away as Australia. They want to go to Niagara Falls and were looking at a bus tour which apparently caters to groups of budget Chinese tourists - not really the best choice for them - so I found them other options. I've also been able to take advantage of joining several tours as well as booking a hotel in London where about 40 people are staying plus group bus transportation to the port. Someone even put up a web site for the cruise!!

Anyway, when you start planning what you are doing in Boston, post back with more questions.

I have no idea what is best to see in limited time. We'll have Fri. after the cruise, all day Sat., and Sun. until we leave for the airport. Flight is 5 pm, so about a 1/2 day. We like historical buildings and sites, will walk some. Would take a tour, if not real expensive. Maybe the HOHO bus?

It is so nice of you to came back here to offer advice! :D

If you like history, and don't mind walking, get to the Common and start walking the Freedom Trail. If you start around 10:00 or so in the morning, by lunch time you should be at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. You will eventually end up at the Bunker Hill Monument.

If you like history, and don't mind walking, get to the Common and start walking the Freedom Trail. If you start around 10:00 or so in the morning, by lunch time you should be at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. You will eventually end up at the Bunker Hill Monument.

Thanks! I'm a hiker/walker, no problem. He will walk, can do about 5 miles, w/o hills. So, can we do that within 5 miles, or so?

I'll check out the lay of the land, so to speak, also. :) Sure appreciate all the advice though! :D

If you are at the Marriott Copley, just get on the Green Line for Park St. That will take you to the beginning of the trail. The whole trek is 2.5 miles, but it will take you old churches, cemeteries, the Old State House, Paul Revere's house, and Bunker Hill. When you are done, walk to Bunker Hill Community College and get on the Orange Line back to Back Bay, you will be across the street from Copley.

If you are at the Marriott Copley, just get on the Green Line for Park St. That will take you to the beginning of the trail. The whole trek is 2.5 miles, but it will take you old churches, cemeteries, the Old State House, Paul Revere's house, and Bunker Hill. When you are done, walk to Bunker Hill Community College and get on the Orange Line back to Back Bay, you will be across the street from Copley.

Thank you! :) I will print this out.

I agree, Gingee, we need our own personal tour guide! :D

Walking tours are no problem. Look at the Freedom Trail Org for a selection of tours - http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/book-tour/public-tours.shtml

There are more tours in the spring, summer, and fall.

Boston is a small city and easy to get around downtown on the 'T'. If you do walking tours there is no real reason to also pay for the HoHo trolley. The trolley will get you to areas like the North End, but because of the small, narrow streets it does not take you directly past places like the Old North Church and Paul Revere's House.

Walking tours are no problem. Look at the Freedom Trail Org for a selection of tours - http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/book-tour/public-tours.shtml

There are more tours in the spring, summer, and fall.

Boston is a small city and easy to get around downtown on the 'T'. If you do walking tours there is no real reason to also pay for the HoHo trolley. The trolley will get you to areas like the North End, but because of the small, narrow streets it does not take you directly past places like the Old North Church and Paul Revere's House.

Thank you! Good to know! :D On that site I found a map that I think I can print to do a walking tour on our own.

:D TWICKENHAM I feel like I should send you flowers or something! lol

Thanks so much for the LNF tip. I've been a Marriott rewards member for nearly 15 years and never heard of it. I got the Copley Marriott for $128/nt for 4 nights in June. Thank you ever so much!

Might be a way to find a good boston hotel. We've stayed at the Millennium which is right across from Fanuiel Hall marketplace and within a short walk to the North end and history. You can also get to the Aquarium from there and if you take a trolly/bus tour usually you get a free harbor cruise tour. Or the Duck tour would be a fun way to see Boston. A little pricey though. Omi Parker house is famous for the parker house roll originator. Never stayed there. The Newberry Guest house is a little farther toward back bay but Newberry street is full of shops and restaurants. Recently we stayed at the Hyatt Regency 1 ave. de Lafayette in Boston and it was pretty reasonable and within walking distance to Fanuiel Hall.

Hope this helps.

Might be a way to find a good boston hotel. We've stayed at the Millennium which is right across from Fanuiel Hall marketplace and within a short walk to the North end and history. You can also get to the Aquarium from there and if you take a trolly/bus tour usually you get a free harbor cruise tour. Or the Duck tour would be a fun way to see Boston. A little pricey though. Omi Parker house is famous for the parker house roll originator. Never stayed there. The Newberry Guest house is a little farther toward back bay but Newberry street is full of shops and restaurants. Recently we stayed at the Hyatt Regency 1 ave. de Lafayette in Boston and it was pretty reasonable and within walking distance to Fanuiel Hall.

Hope this helps.

While the Parker House is famous for the invention of the Parker roll, its real claim to fame is Boston Creme Pie.

:) A big thank you to Twickenham and 138E. :)

I was able to book the Marriott Copley for one night pre-cruise (July 20) at the rate of $112 +tax. It looks like a beautiful hotel, and I'm sad that we only have enough days off from work to swing one night. There seems to be a lot to see and do in Boston, and we've never been there before.

I'm only worried now that we may starve to death before we can get on board the Glory. We like to book hotels that have breakfast included, since it's just so convenient. We didn't expect that at the Marriott, but I also didn't expect breakfast to be $24/pp, either! LOL. No way DH is going to pay $50 for breakfast. The mall food court probably won't be open on a Sunday morning, either, and I bet there's no McDonald's or IHOP down the street. ;) I guess we'll have to make up for it once we get on board.

Thanks again for the help with the hotels. CC is the best.

If you don't mind a quick walk, there are Dunkin Donuts, Panera, and Au Bon Pain in the area for a quick breakfast.

Hey, thanks! That's good to know. We sure don't mind walking. I love Panera, and we don't have one anywhere close to home, so that will be a treat.

I've enjoyed reading all your posts! Love a bargain! Our cruise ends in Boston on June 8 and the Marriott site has no standard rooms available, so I can't get the deal! BUT.....I could get Courtyard on Tremont for $145 or Renaissance Waterfront for $154. Which is the better location? We will have all day Saturday and most of Sunday for a quick visit. Want to do a tour, maybe hop on hop off. Not sure which is the best for the most sightseeing! Greatly appreciate your help!

Mariott is attached to a mall so maybe we can pick something up the night before or so.

You won't find inexpensive b'fast food in that mall.

In addition to the chains mentioned before, there's also Finagle a Bagel, Burger King, and Wendys, all in a row on Boylston Street.

Archived