End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

The reports from people who are actually on the ships seem to be mostly positive. Having been on many crowded Transatlantics, it seems like it was a good idea because as much as I may enjoy the cocktail hour on cruises that are not overcrowded, it's really not fun on those that are.

What percentage was that on the TA? 47% or the 53%. LOL Still not a good business practice by X. I can imagine what others would say if it was done to them even if there were on 1 TA or Many. JMHO!

I bet most of them would say no big deal after they realized they were still going to get their drinks. I bet a lot of them even liked it better. I guess it's just difficult for me to imagine people getting that upset about something like this. What do people do when they have a real problem.:eek:

I bet most of them would say no big deal after they realized they were still going to get their drinks. I bet a lot of them even liked it better. I guess it's just difficult for me to imagine people getting that upset about something like this. What do people do when they have a real problem.:eek:

Well said.

So you haven't read all the posts but still feel informed enough to make comments like the above?

There has been no endless anything about the hours of the cocktail party/vouchers that I have seen having followed and contributed to this thread from early on, and certainly none about the selection of drinks.

Yes, there have been a few suggestions about extending the hours that vouchers can be used, but nothing to warrant the tone of your comments.

As for entitlement, if a company makes an offer to a customer, and encourages repeat business on that basis, they should keep their side of the bargain. Captains Club and its perks/benefits is heavily promoted by Celebrity, so yes its members are entitled, unless fair notice is given of changes.

The endless bit$ch!ng I refer to is not f rom this thread, although even the last page so so has enough of that, IMO, but the many other threads that have been prevalent ever since Celebrity has added to the Elite perks. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I'm not sure what the people so upset with this change would prefer. On a TA, there could be a thousand Elites. Would you really stand shoulder to shoulder in a lounge to feel special?

How many bars on the ship will accept these vouchers from 5 - 7PM? Plus take orders from people who are not Elite and at the bar, too?

I personally would like to be able to use those 3 daily vouchers anytime from 5 - midnight. Not only from 5 - 7PM. JMHO.

Sorry Tom, my iPad changed Tserface to Taser and I didn't notice it. I'll always think of you as Taser face though:D.

I book cruises over a year out, so I don't see it as realistic to expect Celebrity to not make some changes during the waiting period. I also think it would be a nightmare for CEL to try to keep track of what "promises" are made to who.

However, if they try to raise a price after I book I'll turn into a real bitch immediately:). I don't get bitchy over drinks though.

The major cause of the overcrowding at Elite events was the granting of reciprocity to RCI passengers.

Thousands of RCI Diamond and Diamond Plus members became eligible for instant Elite status on X, overwhelming the facilities for the Elite events

The goal was to attract RCI passengers to Celebrity, and that aspect has been very successful.

Many of the passengers now attending Elite events are on only their first or second Celebrity cruise.

Once benefits have been granted, it is hard to take them away.

Whatever they do next, some people are going to be unhappy. It would be great if someone could come up with a suggestion for a good solution, but so far there doesn't seem to be one.

No harm no foul. I've been called worse :rolleyes:

I think these benefits are like any other cruise parameters. If we sign up for a cruise and they change the price or kick me out of my room or change other amenities then I think we should have the privilege of rethinking our decision. As it turns out I wouldn't cancel because of this kind of change, but if they have license to change anything they want and we're "stuck" paying for it anyway then that also doesn't seem fair. For example, the internet benefit saves us some $$$ on every cruise so we count on it. I've also started bringing fewer clothes and counting on the laundry perk. Makes the suitcase lighter and it's nice. We have made the decision to go on Celebrity over RCCL a couple of times because of the cruise experience (which includes everything specified when we sign up).

But... these are all opinions of course. I don't have any special insight or privileges.

So far Celebrity has always been fair to me so I really have nothing to complain about at all. I'm even sort of warming up to the voucher thing.

I was not a Diamond at the time RCCL changed their program and, as it turned out, I got bumped from Platinum to Emerald (have since become a Diamond). We are Elite on Celebrity because we've been on enough cruises and the shortest one we've done is 11 days so I feel kind of like we earned our levels on both lines (although we did get a couple of points one cruise for being in Concierge Class) But, we often go on Celebrity because the benefits are slightly better and we don't have much hope of making Diamond Plus on RCCL in our lifetime (if we do they'll likely just move it up again). We don't drink a lot so don't really want to pay for the unlimited drinking package and the Elite benefit gives us just enough (perfect for us). We actually like RCCL ships better with the promenades and we like the food choices on the Oasis class ships. Celebrity donuts kind of suck as well (I know not a big reason to cruise one or the other, but I thought I'd throw it in). We miss some RCCL stuff when we go on Celebrity, but the Elite perks and smoking policy always make us lean towards Celebrity. Our biggest problem is we don't want to fly all the way to Florida (from Oregon) to go on a 7 day cruise and RCCL just doesn't have many longer ones.

I assume other people weigh all these things as well.

Tom

Sorry Tom, my iPad changed Tserface to Taser and I didn't notice it. I'll always think of you as Taser face though:D.

I book cruises over a year out, so I don't see it as realistic to expect Celebrity to not make some changes during the waiting period. I also think it would be a nightmare for CEL to try to keep track of what "promises" are made to who.

However, if they try to raise a price after I book I'll turn into a real bitch immediately:). I don't get bitchy over drinks though.

Of course it works the other way around as well. I think they may keeps some from switching to lines with older folks (like HAL) as they age by offering them a growth path and give people who normally cruise Celebrity a good "family" experience by allowing them to use their loyalty points on RCCL. That way they don't go for Carnival or Princess when bringing along their younger families who may not really enjoy the Celebrity experience as much. I think after a while many of us end up with earned benefits on both lines sometimes because they gave us incentive to try both.

Most of the Elite benefits are not as overwhelming. Laundry, Internet, some bingo cards, etc. probably don't cause a problem. I think the drink coupons may be the logical solution to the overcrowding problem. It would be trivial for them to expand the time period for the vouchers, whereas extending the length of the party would be more costly and more trouble. So if 5-7 is causing crowding they can just make it 5-8 and some people will switch times.

Tom

The major cause of the overcrowding at Elite events was the granting of reciprocity to RCI passengers.

Thousands of RCI Diamond and Diamond Plus members became eligible for instant Elite status on X, overwhelming the facilities for the Elite events

The goal was to attract RCI passengers to Celebrity, and that aspect has been very successful.

Many of the passengers now attending Elite events are on only their first or second Celebrity cruise.

Whatever they do next, some people are going to be unhappy. It would be great if someone could come up with a suggestion for a good solution, but so far there doesn't seem to be one.

They need to have equal point collection programs!!!!! That way you go across at the same level. First, Celebrity needs to convert to something like the RCCL point program!! If a cruiser is also a stockholder, they would insist on this!

Tserface, I think your thoughts on how you make decisions on which cruise line to book with are right on and I agree.

Strong feelings on those scumbags who horn their way into Elite from RCI are interesting. I'm a scumbag.....when I used D+ to become Elite on my first Celebrity cruise I was invited to the Captain's table twice the same week....and I didn't feel guilty at all.....I had spent a lot of money with the parent company (RCCL) and I still do. I guess I'm not worthy in some people's eyes....oh we'll, too bad.

. So if 5-7 is causing crowding they can just make it 5-8 and some people will switch times.

Tom

Hey, you can't suggest that as it would be discriminating to me as an early seating passenger......that's just not right and I'm going to bitch very loudly:D

It's got to have some impact, but do you think that is the major cause? I don't know because I haven't got the numbers. My feeling is that with Captain's Club being free to enroll, around for some time with greater passenger numbers for Celebrity afforded by larger capacity ships there are just a lot more Celebrity guests able to reach Elite level (and as has been said many times it's way too easy to do).

In a way I am happy to see this subject come up even if I think some of the objections to it are off base and lack suggestion of a suitable resolution. It's going to add fodder for Celebrity to further consider the programme and what to do about overcrowding. As I have said before I hope Mr Bayley makes a brave decision and is able to introduce a system that truly rewards the most frequent cruisers on his cruiseline and if that means I personally lose some perks until I cruise some more that's fine as it will give me something to aim for. Unfortunately as evidenced by some on this thread it's much easier to give something extra than take it away.

Phil

Anyone know IF or/& WHEN the coupons instead of access to Ms Club will be extended fleetwide or is this just being tested on the TA cruises for now?

Appreciate any info...:)

A post from this thread and the horses mouth, lost in all the discussions here:

Dear Celebrity Elite guests,

Thanks for your passionate feedback. The change described to the Captain's Club Lounge is not a permanent one rather an alternative to best deliver the Celebrity experience when we have unusually high Elite member counts. With each transatlantic season we monitor feedback on how to best service your needs.

This transatlantic season has been extraordinarily popular with our Elite members. In order to ensure we continue to deliver a high quality of service on transatlantic sailings with extremely high counts of Elites members, we will be offering you the choice to enjoy your evening cocktail around various bars and lounges across the ship. We have given you this option on select evenings in the past and the feedback we heard was great.

The Celebrity Eclipse is the first ship this transatlantic season to offer guests this flexibility for the entire cruise and Elites are taking this opportunity to either discover the unique ambiance of different locations or settling into a favorite bar. Since the hours continue to be the same as the Captain's Club Lounge, our members are sure to find fellow Elites out enjoying their social hour at this time. Just as we move the Captain's Club Lounge to Sky Lounge when we have more members than we can properly service in Michael's Club, on rare occasions such as this we have implemented this alternative when Sky Lounge cannot meet our high service standards.

Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope you enjoy exploring all the great venue options onboard if this choice is made available on your sailing.

Celebrity Loyalty Team

Phil

I still believe we should have some warning. I am on Equinox TA next month. I singed up and paid in full thinking I would enjoy happy hour with new friends. This should have been started with the TA`s next year

I totally agree. Don't change the rules in the middle of the game. We just got back from a TA on the Liberty of the Seas, and had a wonderful happy hour (we're diamond plus) every night from 5-8:30. We didn't go the entire time but did enjoy the free drinks and socialization that occurs. Almost everyone on the ship was diamond or d+, and royal caribbean still gave us what we paid for. We were considering doing a Celebrity TA in the spring to Holland, but not if they're going to take away the happy hour or limit us to one or two drinks. Can you say false advertising?????

I was on the Eclipse TA that started all of this speculation and misinformation. First let me say that the first night, there was no Captain's Club event because it was the traditional Captain's Welcome Aboard party, where you (sarcasm on:) are given a glass of watered down booze, cheap sparkling wine, etd. (sarcasm off:). The second night we were given two vouchers per person for typical Captain's Club drinks that could be used at many of the bars on the ship. The dining rooms, the Molecular bar and maybe one or two others were restricted.

Following that (likely due to feedback from Elite cruisers, the coupons were were increased to three per person. They were valid from 5 to 7, though are not aware if that was a hard requirement. We were were aware of one issue that was likely due to a lack of communication between the bar staff in one location and Captain's Club staff. It involved a Select Member who was staying in the Elite member's cabin, and was issued coupons. It was resolved that night when the Elite member redeemed the coupon, and handed the drink to her cabin mate (which would have been permitted in the Elite lounge). The next night, the staff had apparently been properly briefed on the protocol of non-elites in the cabin with an Elite.

Now for my personal opinion about this accommodation. We have been on several TAs where the number of Elites made the Sky Lounge venue very crowded, to the extent that there were long lines, and waits for bar service The coupon/multiple bar solution did a good job of alleviating this.

On the other hand, the hors d''oveures presented in the Elite lounge,were a nice touch, so some might miss this (I confess that I am always so overfed that I could pass on this).

The option to drink in other venues afforded the option to experience a less noisy alternative. We did go to the Sky Lounge one night to use our coupons, but found other venues that were quieter and less hectic.

And I'll mention one last opportunity that the drink vouchers afforded. In the Elite lounge, you were required to leave without any unfinished drinks. With the coupons, you could have a couple of drinks, and with your last two coupons, get a glass of wine to take to dinner.

On the whole, we were very happy with the drink coupons, as they were finally implemented on the Eclipse Fall TA.

Also, while the Elite breakfast could be somewhat busy, it was mostly well done, with a few issues with backups at the capupchino machines, and some staffing issues due to the large number of Elites.

I was on the Eclipse TA that started all of this speculation and misinformation. First let me say that the first night, there was no Captain's Club event because it was the traditional Captain's Welcome Aboard party, where you (sarcasm on:) are given a glass of watered down booze, cheap sparkling wine, etd. (sarcasm off:). The second night we were given two vouchers per person for typical Captain's Club drinks that could be used at many of the bars on the ship. The dining rooms, the Molecular bar and maybe one or two others were restricted.

Following that (likely due to feedback from Elite cruisers, the coupons were were increased to three per person. They were valid from 5 to 7, though are not aware if that was a hard requirement. We were were aware of one issue that was likely due to a lack of communication between the bar staff in one location and Captain's Club staff. It involved a Select Member who was staying in the Elite member's cabin, and was issued coupons. It was resolved that night when the Elite member redeemed the coupon, and handed the drink to her cabin mate (which would have been permitted in the Elite lounge). The next night, the staff had apparently been properly briefed on the protocol of non-elites in the cabin with an Elite.

Now for my personal opinion about this accommodation. We have been on several TAs where the number of Elites made the Sky Lounge venue very crowded, to the extent that there were long lines, and waits for bar service The coupon/multiple bar solution did a good job of alleviating this.

On the other hand, the hors d''oveures presented in the Elite lounge,were a nice touch, so some might miss this (I confess that I am always so overfed that I could pass on this).

The option to drink in other venues afforded the option to experience a less noisy alternative. We did go to the Sky Lounge one night to use our coupons, but found other venues that were quieter and less hectic.

And I'll mention one last opportunity that the drink vouchers afforded. In the Elite lounge, you were required to leave without any unfinished drinks. With the coupons, you could have a couple of drinks, and with your last two coupons, get a glass of wine to take to dinner.

On the whole, we were very happy with the drink coupons, as they were finally implemented on the Eclipse Fall TA.

Also, while the Elite breakfast could be somewhat busy, it was mostly well done, with a few issues with backups at the capupchino machines, and some staffing issues due to the large number of Elites.

Yes, a very fair assessment. Thanks for sharing your views and experiences. Celebrity do listen and quickly increased the vouchers from two to three and that is good to hear.

Phil

Archived