Gotta love The Weather Channel

Tranquil Waters

Carnival Pride is now sitting in an area south of baltimore where cargo ships are moored. There's still a RCCL ship basically floating free near Newport News. Guess both are going to ride the storm out in the Chesapeake.

Did someone say they closed the crossing out of the bay and nothing can go in/out?

Jewel isn't showing on my map now

I noticed Jewel disappeared .... could she be so close to one of the other ships she's not showing up ?

I noticed Jewel disappeared .... could she be so close to one of the other ships she's not showing up ?

No. Either temporarily stopped transmitting or passing through a "dead zone" with no land-based receivers in range

The wind speeds are amazing.

I've lost track of the Carnival Glory, too. Wonder where it ran off to?

She is moored south of Annapolis. Directly off the shore at Shady Side. You need to zoom in to see her.

The Virginia DMV posted this bridge near newport news. Seas are rising

A6VtMrrCcAALnJ6.jpg:large

No. Either temporarily stopped transmitting or passing through a "dead zone" with no land-based receivers in range

Do you think the Jewel is the ship showing up as Unspecified 366196000? That ones seems to have taken the right route . . . and thanks for introducing me to another site to obsess about! :p

Do you think the Jewel is the ship showing up as Unspecified 366196000?

No, that's a cargo ship called the Sealand Champion. It's dropped off the map now too. Jewel was ahead of that one by about 30 miles. Looks like they're both in a dead area for tracking

I stopped in here looking to see if you knew what happened with the Jewel, I noticed she disappeared off the ships map and was curious. I found my answers for that question.

Regarding the Carnival Pride and OTS (From ABC2NEWS.COM)

"By: WMAR Staff

BALTIMORE - Cruises in and out of the Port of Baltimore have been rescheduled as Hurricane Sandy's track closes in on the states of Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey.

The Carnival Pride will arrive back at the Port of Baltimore Saturday night at around 8 p.m. instead of its normal arrival time on Sunday.

The Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas was scheduled to leave Baltimore at around 5 p.m. Friday for a five-night cruise to Bermuda. Instead, it left at 10 p.m. and will become a "cruise to nowhere" making no stops. The Enchantment of the Seas is expected to ride out the storm in the lower Chesapeake Bay near Cape Henry Virginia.

Passengers were given the option before the ship left Baltimore to stay onboard or debark."

Of course since that article, the Carnival Pride then decided around 2 PM today to cancel the cruise leaving today. I do believe the Port of Baltimore would not allow the Carnival Pride to stay in the Port so the Pride headed down the Chesapeake hoping to ride it out (although Marine Traffic says its destination is Port Canaveral).

No, that's a cargo ship called the Sealand Champion. It's dropped off the map now too. Jewel was ahead of that one by about 30 miles. Looks like they're both in a dead area for tracking

Ahhhh. That makes sense.

Crazy to think about ships riding this out in the Chesapeake Bay. We have a beach house a block off the bay in Virginia Beach and I've been watching the webcams and local photostreams . . . the bay does not look like a good place to be riding this out!

She is moored south of Annapolis. Directly off the shore at Shady Side. You need to zoom in to see her.

I only see the Pride, but I'm half asleep so that doesn't mean anything. Newport News certainly looks like it's getting quite a bit of storm surge.

This is weird, take a look. This website says it gets its data from marinetraffic.com BUT it shows the current position of the Jewel further out East of Delaware now while the marine traffic site doesn't show the Jewel anywhere.

Okay, Cruise Critic won't let me post the link or the name but it is $ea$canner.

Ahhhh. That makes sense.

Crazy to think about ships riding this out in the Chesapeake Bay. We have a beach house a block off the bay in Virginia Beach and I've been watching the webcams and local photostreams . . . the bay does not look like a good place to be riding this out!

Well, the Enchantment is positioned with the peninsula as a partial wind break, plus the bay bridge-tunnel helps to calm the surge. You don't want to be in port, so gotta be somewhere :)

I only see the Pride, but I'm half asleep so that doesn't mean anything. Newport News certainly looks like it's getting quite a bit of storm surge.

This is weird, take a look. This website says it gets its data from marinetraffic.com BUT it shows the current position of the Jewel further out East of Delaware now while the marine traffic site doesn't show the Jewel anywhere.

Okay, Cruise Critic won't let me post the link or the name but it is $ea$canner.

I think at that site they're showing the planned position, not the actual one.

I thought you were looking for the Pride. She's the one south of Annapolis. The Miracle is just showing the position from over an hour ago. The Aida ship that was 30 miles behind it has "passed" it on the map

Ahhhh. That makes sense.

Agreed. I am watching my local channel for weather (I live in Baltimore) and they are saying by tomorrow the lower Chesapeake will receive about 10" of rain, and the waves plus wind that they will get. I could not be out there, I can put up with some rocking, but not like these waves. I know the ships can withstand it, but it's not my kind of vacation.

Also, local tv station saying the area the Enchantment is in has been worse so far vs Ocean City, MD, so maybe the Jewel and Miracle's route isn't such a bad idea. And as I write this the other weather guy interrupted the other one and said that OC in MD has just reported 42 wind gust with 21 ft waves. Hoping for the safety of all those ships out there!

Agreed. I am watching my local channel for weather (I live in Baltimore) and they are saying by tomorrow the lower Chesapeake will receive about 10" of rain, and the waves plus wind that they will get. I could not be out there, I can put up with some rocking, but not like these waves. I know the ships can withstand it, but it's not my kind of vacation.

Also, local tv station saying the area the Enchantment is in has been worse so far vs Ocean City, MD, so maybe the Jewel and Miracle's route isn't such a bad idea. And as I write this the other weather guy interrupted the other one and said that OC in MD has just reported 42 wind gust with 21 ft waves. Hoping for the safety of all those ships out there!

Changed my mind. Looks as if the 10" of rain plus is for Crisfield area which is actually north of the Enchantment and South of the Pride.

Ok, what am I doing wrong with that maritime site? All I see are green squares with numbers. I have friends on a Jewel and would like to keep tabs.

Jewel is off the map at the point (guess they can't pick up in certain dead spaces), it was out in front of the others, but if you type Explorer of the Seas in the "Go to Vessel" field it should show you where there are three ships making their way down the coast (Explorer, Miracle, and Aidaluna). Jewel is somewhere ahead.

THere is also that wind box which is pretty cool to check once you find the ships.

EDITED: Oops, meant Explorer of the Seas NOT Navigator of the seas.

Ok, what am I doing wrong with that maritime site? All I see are green squares with numbers. I have friends on a Jewel and would like to keep tabs.

I get the green squares too ... just click on the map and the squares will go away.

You can find Jewel on http://www.sailed.info/shiptrack/ . Right now the ship doesn't show on the map. However, she reported in her location at half past midnight as closer inshore than Explorer but Explorer is slightly further south based on lat/Lon positions.

Just realized Explorer reported its position later.

Archived