Gotta love The Weather Channel

Tranquil Waters

Too funny. TWC must have gotten some major static. They just back peddled those first remarks and corrected to say that the ships were built to take the seas and knew what they were doing. But then they had to add a Dramamine remark to save face. :D. Not that the remark didn't hit the mark....;)

The Jewel is heading south right along the Nj coast

Indeed, and maybe not the worst idea for now, but....

Sandy is coming up at them, and it doesn't get better as it gets closer. He seems to be at close to full speed, 22 kts (25 mph). I'll tell ya', if he pulls this off, THAT is a captain I want to meet!

Ya' know, I'm looking at what he is doing, while looking at my charts.

It's not going to be a smooth ride, even right now, but he might just pull this off, as Sandy is not fast moving. He might just slip by her. That's why he has the speed on, and no doubt that was agreed on by NCL ($$$$$).

If he can sail down close to the coast (I'm not talking "Concordia" close either), he might pull this off. It will not be a smooth ride, but if he fails, the ship will still survive.

It's a huge, slow moving system, and I'll bet the captain of Jewel wishes he had 30 knots speed behind him, and the company authorizing the speed / fuel! Sadly, the ship cannot make that speed. However, I like what he is doing now.

It's not going to be a smooth ride for anyone, and now I notice that Explorer might be trying to try the same strategy, but she is still too far east!

We'll see!

This is really cool to watch.

I'm watching the same thing. Jewel hauling butt off central NJ right now trying to slip past the storm as it continues NE. The Explorer appears to be heading directly on an inception course with Sandy. Not sure what they're thinking, but I'm know they have smart weather people too.

My money is on the Jewel

QM2 is heading east towards England as planned. She can outrun this without much difficulty

It's not going to be a smooth ride for anyone, and now I notice that Explorer might be trying to try the same strategy, but she is still too far east!

We'll see!

This is really cool to watch.

Yes this is is interesting to watch - but I am not sure if I would want to be on either the Explorer or the Jewel right about now?!?!

I am curious to watch these ships and where they are planning to go, the Jewel flew past by Explorer by going its route, I wonder if Explorer will try to go that route and if the Miracle is going to do the same?

The Explorer just turn a few more degrees south. If you look at her path into NY you can see she's WAY inside to the west of her normal course. Looks like she's trying the same strategy, it appears, but is still further west and moving more slowly than the Jewel

Carnival Miracle just turned due south too, same tracking as the Jewel.

They have to depart. Otherwise they will most likely drag their anchors or suffer considerable damage at the piers. They are big ships, they aren't tiny little row boats. To understand a bit more, watch the news videos of the small craft tossed about and destroyed at the marinas, no matter how well they are tied to them.

I'm an aviator, not a mariner, but, weather is weather, and it is just how it affects us in the air or on the sea.

That being said, this is cool to watch!

Not concerned about QM2, as she goes east and can put on a lot of speed that these other ships can never do!

I'm trained in meteorology as to aviation, but this is a whole different ball game. I've got my charts up, but I am not on the ships. However, I know what can be expected as to winds and wave height. Look at the Beaufort Scale.

I've been on force 12 seas and loved it, but it is not for everyone. I'm looking at Norwegian Jewel, and what it appears he is trying to pull off, and he might! It just occurred to me a few minutes ago, but I knew he would need the company to approve the fuel expenditure, and push her to the max. I might be wrong, but that looks like what he is doing.

This is amazing to watch! I think he is taking a run for it!

I think he is weighing "roughish" seas VS expenditure on fuel. He's got to keep it close to the coast and go fast. You DON'T want to cancel or delay a future cruise! Such is the burden of command and management.

No one sailing in this weather will get a smooth ride initially. However, he might just pull this off, as it is a slowish moving force 1 hurricane. It won't be a smooth ride, but I think he'll pull it off!

Ya' know, Norwegians were and are great mariners. I knew one: Captain Kasper Skjerve, one of the first 3 captains for RCCL (on one of their first three ships). I spent an hour in his office talking with him when he retired and went on to Regal Empress. How many RCCL pax ever met Kasper Skjerve?

You know, command is not easy. Despite what the company says, command decisions are not easy.

Jewel is still only around 10-15 miles off the coast of New Jersey and hugging the contour of the coast. The RCCL ship is heading straight south now, and both the Carnival and Aida ships are following in Jewel's path (but much further North) and at high speed.

I agree. I think she pulls this off

Carnival Pride now leaving Baltimore to join the chase south

Take a look at the Enchantment of the Seas NE of Newport News. It's doing little circles in the Chesapeake at 1.5kts. How strange

The Jewel is about 12 miles east of Atlantic City now, still hauling butt. :) The Explorer is heading SSW now, moving more slowly, but appearing to be tracking along the coast like the others, but further away.

The Jewel is about 12 miles east of Atlantic City now, still hauling butt. :) The Explorer is heading SSW now, moving more slowly, but appearing to be tracking along the coast like the others, but further away.

I'm going to have to buy that man a drink next week if he pulls this off! I cannot believe the time he is making!:eek::D

This is fascinating to watch. I kept yelling at my computer screen, telling the Explorer OTS to move closer to the coast but then I realized that the other "unidentified" ship is in her way. Does anyone have any idea what that ship is?

I feel for anyone on any of those ships right now. I've read some pretty rough reviews from people who were on the DCL Fantasy night before last.

Yes, some sleuthing identified that as the Sea Land Champion, a cargo ship. She's hauling butt too for a cargo ship (20kts)

:eek:

That ship isn't in the way. They're 20 miles apart :)

Okay, what I said sounded stupid! I guess I meant that the other ships were keeping about 10 miles apart and at the time, there wasn't room for Explorer OTS to squeeze in there. However, the cargo ship is really moving and gaining on the Jewel so there is space in those 20 miles now. ;)

If you can forget about the discomfort of the people on board for a minute, it's a little like watching a hamster race!

If you can forget about the discomfort of the people on board for a minute, it's a little like watching a hamster race!

ha! yeah, sorta is. :)

I wonder how much "discomfort" there is. Coming up to 10pm. Bed in a couple of hours. Maybe wake up to better weather? Dunno

Carnival Pride is now sitting in an area south of baltimore where cargo ships are moored. There's still a RCCL ship basically floating free near Newport News. Guess both are going to ride the storm out in the Chesapeake.

Did someone say they closed the crossing out of the bay and nothing can go in/out?

Jewel isn't showing on my map now

You want to see something wild? Click on the box for "wind". You can see exactly what's going on, and exactly where the hurricane is

Carnival Pride is now sitting in an area south of baltimore where cargo ships are moored. There's still a RCCL ship basically floating free near Newport News. Guess both are going to ride the storm out in the Chesapeake.

Did someone say they closed the crossing out of the bay and nothing can go in/out?

Jewel isn't showing on my map now

I checked on http://www.sailwx.info as well, Jewel has not reported in for over 1.5 hours ...

Archived