Gotta love The Weather Channel

Tranquil Waters

Just heard the very serious weather news person give the very scary news that a NCL cruise ship had just headed out of the harbour. "And this ship goes out weekly for Bermuda!" "The seas between hear and Bernuda are currently greater than 50 feet!" He REALLY had great concerns about the people on that ship......

Does the dummy REALLY think the ship was still going to be heading for Bermuda??? Ya just gotta wonder sometimes. This was definitely a case of a pretty male face winning the job over the smart guy.

What NCL ship left NYC today for Bermuda? They just had the Weather Channel guy on who's in Battery Park, NY and he said he just saw an NCL ship leaving port, heading for Bermuda. He said he was totally surprised they were heading out that way because buoy markers have send info that the waves between NYC and Bermuda were more than 40ft high. Bless those cruisers because that's not going to be a fun cruise.

Remember the weather channel is ALL about drama. I have lived in the north for snow storms and in Miami for hurricanes. They are always on some beach that it is barely raining and keep scaring everyone "the end of the world is headed this way."

If the weather is ALL that you talk about, this is what you get.

The captains of cruise ships are very skilled and trained. I will speak for the captain.

NCL does not tell the weather channel how to do weather. So weather channel, please do not tell us how to sail and steer our ships !

Coast Guard is going to shut the NY Harbor at 6 PM today and 3 cruise ships sailed - RC's Explorer of the Sea left first, followed by the Jewel - and watching it live on NY Harbor Webcam now, the Queen Mary 2 is following - passing the VZ Bridge at this moment.

Bravo for those brave ones ...

Just heading for open water as far east as it can go to ride out the storm. At least, unlike the Carnival Pride, it can get out into open ocean. The Pride is stuck in the Cheasapeake Bay.

AIS says the Carnival Glory is doing figure 8's outside of the Chesapeake, off the coast of VA Beach

could they do a 7 day cruise to nowhere?

Good questions, RC's Enchantment of the Sea out of Baltimore (on a shortened ITN) is doing just that, I think - according to post, down in the Northfolk, VA area - trying to find calmer waters (LOL, good luck on that with the storm moving slowly) and was sheltered inside the CP Bay channel overnight.

My mother just called me and told me the same thing. We have friends on the Miracle. Their cruise was made 9 days from 8 as the ship returned a day early. Their captain announced they will be hugging the coast line as they race towards Port Canaveral rather than going east.

The Explorer of the Seas is heading to Bermuda as scheduled and is on the same course she always does for Bermuda. The Jewel just turned due south on the same course as she usually does for the Florida/Bahamas cruise. I left 2 years ago in the Xmas Blizzard and it was quite a ride to Florida. I loved it but I don't get sick. Most people were in their cabins and barf bags all over. I was eating and gambling and drinking the whole ride down. Now these seas are expected to be twice as bad. We had 15-20 footers crashing as high as deck 6. They currently are on a course that drives them right into the heart of the storm. I can understand Cantori's concern.

This is the Wave Model - forecast for the Atlantic that I am looking at -

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

http://www.sailwx.info/wxobs/waveheight.phtml

Looking at AIS, RC's EOS is spending another night inside the CP Bay channel - Sandy is still in that area doing its slow spinning

Coast Guard is going to shut the NY Harbor at 6 PM today and 3 cruise ships sailed - RC's Explorer of the Sea left first, followed by the Jewel - and watching it live on NY Harbor Webcam now, the Queen Mary 2 is following - passing the VZ Bridge at this moment.

Bravo for those brave ones ...

Carnival left NYC at 6pm and the Aidaluna is leaving now. http://nyharborwebcam.com/

At the Live Ships web site along with Ocean Weather...

Queen Mary 2 and Norwegian Jewel are both on a southerly course. Explorer of the Seas is more on a south easterly course.

Oopsie! QM2 just changed to a SE course like Explorer. She's got a cargo ship near her to port.

You go south you will go right into this mess. I can't see seas less than 20' for these ships right now, and and only QM2 will just throw them aside.

Okay, just checked: QM2 turned further east again (heading 131), she's doing a TA to Southampton, and will kiss Sandy goodbye.

CCL Miracle is now out and has passed the VZ bridge and is in the lower bay. She is now essentially in open ocean and at 115° heading and 18 kts.

Okay, QM2 is now on an easterly course at 91° and 19 kts. She's outta here going for England. She's already up to 21 kts! :D Not easy to accelerate as the seas / wind are going against you.

Norwegian Jewel is passing Point Pleasant, NJ and is pushing it a 22+ kts and heading 186.

I don't know what Jewel's plan is. She is going right into it, with maybe only 20' seas right now.

RCl Explorer is at 136° and only 16 kts. Not sure what her game plan is.

Okay, enough of this play-by-play for now! ;)

Archived