Gotta love The Weather Channel

Tranquil Waters

I see the Jewel off the coast of NC following a Hyundai cargo ship.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the Jewel,is back on marine traffic's tracker. Wow, she really went fast, they do not usually get to where they are until late afternoon of the first sea day.

They are now south of the storm! Woohoo, great captain.

Jewel is currently off Tom's River and hugging the coast at full speed (22kts). She'll be fine after a rough 24 hours

Looks like the Jewel Captain and staff made right call. After a bumpy night they will be south of Hurricane Sandy before it makes landfall in New Jersey and the rest of their cruise should be able to continue as scheduled.

As for the Gem, unable to dock in New York as scheduled today, their Captain has a formidable task finding relatively calm seas until they are finally able to dock.

Yes, the Jewel,is back on marine traffic's tracker. Wow, she really went fast, they do not usually get to where they are until late afternoon of the first sea day.

They are now south of the storm! Woohoo, great captain.

For whatever reason, I can't find the Jewel on marine traffic but am glad she made it that far south that quickly. Kudos to the captain and hoping for smoother sailing for the rest of their trip!

It was Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel yesterday who was blowing smoke about the ships leaving. He didn't even get the destinations of the ships right that were leaving. He just made a huge stink about it and made it sound like the cruise lines were endangering the lives of the passengers. Someone from somewhere must have called him because a couple of hours later they did apologize for his remarks. Good for TWC for getting their butts handed to them. Jim Cantore is so full of himself too... can't stand that guy. Just wanted to make sure my friends on the Jewel were safe. I didn't need his dramatics. :mad:

I picked up Carnival Miracle in the same spot where the Jewel was earlier and she's only a few hours behind the Norwegian Jewel. They're high-tailing it at about 20 knots south. I'm sure they're going to slow down when they get further south but getting out of harm's way is a good idea. I have people I know on the Jewel right now and they say it's a little rough but everyone's in good spirits! :)

I"m not picking up any of the ships that were traveling near each other (Jewel, Miracle and the Aida ship). When you post new info, give the location. I'm curious how far south they made it overnight. It looks a little rough on Jewel's webcam, but nothing outside the norm. Looks like they succeeded

I"m not picking up any of the ships that were traveling near each other (Jewel, Miracle and the Aida ship). When you post new info, give the location. I'm curious how far south they made it overnight. It looks a little rough on Jewel's webcam, but nothing outside the norm. Looks like they succeeded

Really strange Mike, its like 4-5 ships off the coast just vanished. The Jewel was north east of cape hatteras about 3-4 hours ago move at just under 24kts. Also don't see the ships in the Chessy Bay anymore

If you expand the image you will get to the page with the green squares. I gather these are the reporting areas, so if they are outside those you get the "out of range". There's as big area west of Wilmington off NC that has no coverage., so that could be were they are. The last certain spot I had was at around 4 hours ago when they were off Cape Hatteras still going south at 23.8 knots and almost out of the worst winds.

It was Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel yesterday who was blowing smoke about the ships leaving. He didn't even get the destinations of the ships right that were leaving. He just made a huge stink about it and made it sound like the cruise lines were endangering the lives of the passengers. Someone from somewhere must have called him because a couple of hours later they did apologize for his remarks. Good for TWC for getting their butts handed to them. Jim Cantore is so full of himself too... can't stand that guy. Just wanted to make sure my friends on the Jewel were safe. I didn't need his dramatics. :mad:

Agreed, that was lame. No need for dramatics in an already dramatic situation. Seems as though NCL knew what they needed to do with the Jewel. Hoping the Gem finds port soon and safely.

Since all the ships have been out of range, I've been watching the available bridge cams, and the difference between the seas where the Jewel is, and the seas where the AidaLuna is, I'd say the Captain of the Jewel made an outstanding decision. The Luna is still travelling in heavy rain, and rough seas, while the Jewel is in relatively smooth seas (considering the storm) and under partly sunny skies, to boot!

Since all the ships have been out of range, I've been watching the available bridge cams, and the difference between the seas where the Jewel is, and the seas where the AidaLuna is, I'd say the Captain of the Jewel made an outstanding decision. The Luna is still travelling in heavy rain, and rough seas, while the Jewel is in relatively smooth seas (considering the storm) and under partly sunny skies, to boot!

The big difference was that the jewel went straight to full speed after leaving NYC. The RCCL ship was at 13-14 kts for a while, and on a SE heading, before picking up the flanking route at a higher speed. As a result, she and the Luna trailed the Jewel by a couple of hours and got more caught up in the mess

Oh, and most of the way the all had a tailing wind, which helped mitigate their increased fuel consumption. When we ha 40+ winds on the epic from behind, she was able o maintain her planned 15kts on only one screw :)

The big difference was that the jewel went straight to full speed after leaving NYC. The RCCL ship was at 13-14 kts for a while, and on a SE heading, before picking up the flanking route at a higher speed. As a result, she and the Luna trailed the Jewel by a couple of hours and got more caught up in the mess

Exactly! The Captain of the Jewel obviously had a far superior strategy. ;)

Just to give you an idea of what it's like between where the Jewel is and where the Aida Luna is. I think when I lost them the Luna was several hours behind the Jewel on the same course:

Jewel (sunshine and no white caps!)

jewel-vi.jpg

Aida Luna (not so much)

luna-vi.jpg

Just to give you an idea of what it's like between where the Jewel is and where the Aida Luna is. I think when I lost them the Luna was several hours behind the Jewel on the same course:

Jewel (sunshine and no white caps!)

jewel-vi.jpg

Aida Luna (not so much)

luna-vi.jpg

There were several posters on other threads who thought they should have cancelled the cruise and were critical of NCL because they didn't. I wonder how many of the passengers on the Jewel would agree. According to a few posts from some of them, they had some rough seas last night but it wasn't that bad and now, less than 24 hours later, they're out of the storm. I'm sure the experts at NCL knew what they were doing just as those at Carnival and RC did when they made the same decision.

DD is on Gem which was suppose to dock today in NY. Looks like it won't be till Wed. Talked to her and she said Blue Lagoon closed as it ran out of food. No mozzarella sticks for her .. though she is not in mood for any food.

Indeed, and maybe not the worst idea for now, but....

Sandy is coming up at them, and it doesn't get better as it gets closer. He seems to be at close to full speed, 22 kts (25 mph). I'll tell ya', if he pulls this off, THAT is a captain I want to meet!

Ya' know, I'm looking at what he is doing, while looking at my charts.

It's not going to be a smooth ride, even right now, but he might just pull this off, as Sandy is not fast moving. He might just slip by her. That's why he has the speed on, and no doubt that was agreed on by NCL ($$$$$).

If he can sail down close to the coast (I'm not talking "Concordia" close either), he might pull this off. It will not be a smooth ride, but if he fails, the ship will still survive.

It's a huge, slow moving system, and I'll bet the captain of Jewel wishes he had 30 knots speed behind him, and the company authorizing the speed / fuel! Sadly, the ship cannot make that speed. However, I like what he is doing now.

It's not going to be a smooth ride for anyone, and now I notice that Explorer might be trying to try the same strategy, but she is still too far east!

We'll see!

This is really cool to watch.

The Jewel can actually sail a lot faster than 22 knots, my second time on her we hit 28 knots a couple of times on the way down towards St. Lucia and Barbados. Someone on Facebook also mentioned they saw 30 knots yesterday/last night for a little bit.

Definitely not their regular service speed, but these Jewel class ships can be pretty quick if need be!:eek:

The Jewel can actually sail a lot faster than 22 knots, my second time on her we hit 28 knots a couple of times on the way down towards St. Lucia and Barbados. Someone on Facebook also mentioned they saw 30 knots yesterday/last night for a little bit.

Definitely not their regular service speed, but these Jewel class ships can be pretty quick if need be!:eek:

Interesting. I have seen her speed listed as anywhere from 22.5kts (NCL site) to 25kts (Wikipedia). NCL lists this as their "cruising speed" as opposed to max speed. I saw one site that said max speed 24kts. If she hit 30 I can guarantee you it was with a strong tail wind and at full throttle! Those engines don't like to run that hard for long, so maybe she was sprinting past something.

Where is the Gem hiding from all this?

Archived