Machu Picchu 4-Day Pre-Cruise out of Lima

katz

Has anyone done this pre-cruise excursion? I am curious to know what you experienced and how much you enjoyed it. We are in our early 60's and am also wondering if we might be biting off more than we can chew.

Also, I have issues with sea sickness. Would I be more susceptable to altitude sickness?

Thanks for your help.

I agree with FLoridiana. We were in the Andes in 1989 (I was younger then) and had no problems with the altitude. I DO tend to have problems with mal de mer.

I don't know if age is a factor ...

Mura

I agree with FLoridiana. We were in the Andes in 1989 (I was younger then) and had no problems with the altitude. I DO tend to have problems with mal de mer.

I don't know if age is a factor ...

Mura

I agree with Mura; I was also younger then... :p

Seriously, I don't think we really know what predicts altitude sickness other than the fact that if you've had it before, you'll very likely have it again. Age, physical fitness, weight, etc. don't seem to predict much at all. Agree that seasickness should be completely unrelated.

My personal opinion is that everyone's circulation has a different (somewhat individualized) response to low oxygen levels, and everyone will get altitude sickness at some (individualized) height. It's probably more genetic than anything else. The bad news in that is that susceptibility is largely hard-wired; you probably can't train to eliminate your susceptibility, but meds can help.

There are some out there who think that being in good cardiovascular "shape" actually makes you more susceptible to high-altitude pulmonary edema. Exercise is bad for you... Go figure! High-altitude medicine is a fascinating and controversial topic.

I think it is hard to predict altitude sickness, sometimes it can effect people but other times not. The slower you go the better you will be. I would also post this question on the South American Board as there are lots of MP discussion there.

My wife and I did it and we were 70 & 72 years of age. It is a sight you will never see again and certainly worth the trip. We had no problem with the altitude nor did we take any special precaution.

If you walk around the sight the only limitation is you legs. There is a lot of climbing, if you want to see everything.

MP is worth the trip, your doctor can give you advice on the altitude if you want it. Cuzco is the problem, not MP itself which is at a much lower altitude. In Cuzco I felt like I was walking just off the ground for the first day - it was a weird sensation and just took it slow. That night I felt like I was just above the mattress, too, my hotel room had extra oxygen available if you want/need it. The tea they offer you to drink didn't do a thing, but it was interesting. Enjoy

on arrival in Cusco at 11,000 you take t taxi to Ollyantambo at 7000 ft ant then a every 2 hour train to Aguas Callente at 6000 ft. Here there are great hotels on a rushing river, and a way less hectic place than Cusco.

Plus you will be able to be on the first bus up to Machu Picchu and arrive by 7 am.... 3 hours before the train from Cusco gets ther with hundreds.Then just do the reverse to return to Lima, skipping Cusco totaly ( which is a good place to miss)

You can do the whole thing, rt air, cabs, hotel 2 nights in Aguas Callente, meals, train tickets , guide for about $800 per person...... the ship wants 2000 and makes you spent the nights at 11000 in Cusco rather than 6000 ft Aguas Callente !!!

Thanks, CapeCoder and HawaiiDan. MP is sounding more and more like a complicated trip. Hmmm, have to think more about this. Not to sound uppity, but if money is not an object, is there any reason not to go on the O pre-cruise---other than all the usual reasons people do not like their excursions.. We did an overnight land excursion in Morocco with them and totally enjoyed it. On one of their Med cruises, we felt their excursions were worth the money, not so much on another cruise.

HawaiiDan---my husband is "MauiDoug", from Paia.

Our group of four will be doing a three day two night guided Machu Picchu post cruise tour 6 May. I found this private tour company an excellent source of information and their prompt replies to my questions were rewarding. Best of all we have a full day at Machu Picchu (including sunrise) and we bypass Cusco where we had no interest. It's all about MP or why take the trip? Best of all it beats Oceania guided tour by $2,560 while including five more meals By my estimation O would have had us at Machu Picchu about two hours not counting the buffet lunch. Our two night hotel is in Aguas Calientes.:)

Our group of four will be doing a three day two night guided Machu Picchu post cruise tour 6 May. I found this private tour company an excellent source of information and their prompt replies to my questions were rewarding. Best of all we have a full day at Machu Picchu (including sunrise) and we bypass Cusco where we had no interest. It's all about MP or why take the trip? Best of all it beats Oceania guided tour by $2,560 while including five more meals By my estimation O would have had us at Machu Picchu about two hours not counting the buffet lunch. Our two night hotel is in Aguas Calientes.:)

May we ask the name of this private tour company?

The truth is you dont need a tour to do machu picchu It is simple. get on the plane in Lima, get off in Cusco and take a taxi from the Cusco airport to Ollyantambo train station get on the train ( you can buy tickets in advance) to the end of the line...1.5 hours to Aguas Callentie. walk 1 block to an one of 5 great 3 to 4 star hotels.

Buy a ticket for the next mornings first bus or have your hotel do it for you..

Meet a guide ( there are dozens) at the entrance. Spend the whole day dawn to dusk in Macchu Picchu. Then tale the bus down to your hotel.

Next morning, take the train back to Ollyntambo and cab back to the airport. Get on the plane. to lima....or any where else you want

Its simple as pie... look up Peru Treks and adventure on the web... they lay out the whole thing with schedules, prices and how to do it on your own

The truth is you dont need a tour to do machu picchu It is simple. get on the plane in Lima, get off in Cusco and take a taxi from the Cusco airport to Ollyantambo train station get on the train ( you can buy tickets in advance) to the end of the line...1.5 hours to Aguas Callentie. walk 1 block to an one of 5 great 3 to 4 star hotels.

Buy a ticket for the next mornings first bus or have your hotel do it for you..

Meet a guide ( there are dozens) at the entrance. Spend the whole day dawn to dusk in Macchu Picchu. Then tale the bus down to your hotel.

Next morning, take the train back to Ollyntambo and cab back to the airport. Get on the plane. to lima....or any where else you want

Its simple as pie... look up Peru Treks and adventure on the web... they lay out the whole thing with schedules, prices and how to do it on your own

Dan - have you actually done this yourself?

Dan - have you actually done this yourself?

I have several friends over the past 2 years who have using the Peru Trek and Adventure folks guide..... The reported it was so easy. They turned me on to the guide.... English is widely spoken they reported...its a tourist mecca... It is not off the beaten track.

Many of the tours all want you to stay in Cusco and sell you the expensive train ride ( Which I am told the first half, getting to Ollyntambo is boring)

See also you tube clips of the trip.

Actualy they report its faster and cheaper to taxi/train than the train all the way.

Too. staying in Aguas Callentie is far more attractive than big sprawl town filled with tourists. And you are first to see the place before all the tourist arrive on the Cusco train and pack the place for 4 hours. You get to watch the dawn and sunset if you choose and avoid the altitude problem.

Aguas Callentie is about the altitude of Bolder and Macchu Pacchu its self is the altitude of Estes Park Colorado !!!

I about $800 pp for a 3 day 2 night rt, food, tickets train,hotel, cab guides.. from LIMA... you dont need 4 days for just 2 hours in machu picchu It is clearly want to get the most money for the local economy to drag it out and ger tou to spend more... for a lesser experience.

THe trip sounds no more difficult than getting from Heathrow airport to Birmingham... Or From LAX to San diego

Experience has taught me that a good local TA in South America can save you a fortune. As you probably know, they frequently charge the same price to foreigners in US dollars as nationals pay in the local currency. Airlines, hotels, parks, and museums all blatantly do this. :mad: A local TA can get you better prices. (In 2006, I paid only $550 to fly from Buenos Aires to Iguassu, 5 nights in hotel and daily excursions included.)

For anyone who is planning on doing Machu Picchu on their own, I understand that it is very important to have tickets purchased (on-line) in advance. As they are now strict about the daily number of visitors, many are turned away, even if they have travelled half the world to get there.

http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/

May we ask the name of this private tour company?[/quo

Happy to oblidge: lotte@kuodatravel.com and based in Miami.

I have found lotte will give you as much or as little as you desire. For me there comes a point when trimming the fat begins to cut away at the meat of the tour and a little extra cost is well worth some peace of mind. We have included one side tour en route to Machu Picchu. This tour group will also care for any excess baggage while you trip to Machu Picchu and return as trains do have a weight limit.

Good luck.:)

I have found lotte will give you as much or as little as you desire. For me there comes a point when trimming the fat begins to cut away at the meat of the tour and a little extra cost is well worth some peace of mind. We have included one side tour en route to Machu Picchu. This tour group will also care for any excess baggage while you trip to Machu Picchu and return as trains do have a weight limit.

Thank you, Spook. I am always happy to check out people and places that have been highly recommended. As we will have a maximum of 2 weeks in Peru, and there are just so many fascinating things to see there, I want to make the most of our limited time. :)

I only wish that they would allow us longer than 2 weeks with the air deviation. I have always wanted to fly to Iquitos and stay at one of the more remote jungle lodges. There won't be enough time. :(

I checked out Peru Treks website and it says all permits for MP for November and December have been purchased. No longer taking bookings - all trek permits bought for their clients.

Another good reason to use a guide? Or to use O or ship's tour if they still have permits?

I checked out Peru Treks website and it says all permits for MP for November and December have been purchased. No longer taking bookings - all trek permits bought for their clients.

Another good reason to use a guide? Or to use O or ship's tour if they still have permits?

Sorry, I was wrong. This info about permits is about TREK permits - just realized that when bookmarking the Peru Treks website for future reference. Don't think this company offers the "soft" option tour! They do have "do it yourself" instructions for the easy way though.

http://www.perutreks.com/machu-picchu-by-train-1-day.html

So OP, investigate permits for a visit!

We too are using kuodatravel and are very happy with the service. While they do have an office in Florida, their HQ is in Cuzco as is our planner who we expect to meet in Cuzco on our way to MP. Perhaps they do have an office in Miami but, their website shows staff in Cuzco an know our planner lives in Cuzco and most if not all the staff are in Cuzco. Recommend them highly!!

We too are using kuodatravel and are very happy with the service. While they do have an office in Florida, their HQ is in Cuzco as is our planner who we expect to meet in Cuzco on our way to MP. Perhaps they do have an office in Miami but, their website shows staff in Cuzco an know our planner lives in Cuzco and most if not all the staff are in Cuzco. Recommend them highly!!

I only mentioned 800 number as it is nice to make a free phone call and have questions answered on a one on one basis. Of course Cusco is HQ and we will be met by the local staff. I even had photos emailed showing the trail up to Hyuana Picchu.

Anybody else looking to do MP on Marina 18 April sailing?

Archived