Has anyone with dark hair gone blonde?

kiraryker

Tons of people do this....but you'll always have those dark roots to contend with! And, your entire make-up scheme will need to be changed....don't forget about that! Also, your eyebrows....if they are really dark, you'll need to lighten them a touch...or your darker brows will look harsh against your new, lighter locks!

Tons of people do this....but you'll always have those dark roots to contend with! And, your entire make-up scheme will need to be changed....don't forget about that! Also, your eyebrows....if they are really dark, you'll need to lighten them a touch...or your darker brows will look harsh against your new, lighter locks!

So you've done it? Do you like the look?

Skin tone has so much to do with whether or not it would look good on you. I see a whole bunch of women who shouldn't be blonde, don't do the upkeep or worse, over process to the point where their hair looks like straw.

It's an individual thing. If I were to do it (I won't) I'd at least go to a wig store and try on a blonde wig before making the plunge.

I had highlights put in my hair twice in my life, I don't know why I did it the second time, I must not have remembered what it was like the first time. Both times I had my hair colored back to its regular color within a day or so...I just don't look good with blonde hair.

Factor in the upkeep and the cost of having your hair colored every 4 weeks so you don't see the regrowth...lots of time and cash involved.

Some women look fabulous with blonde hair, some not so much. A good colorist will also factor in the tone it should be, blonde color has a lot of range.

I started with dark brown hair, but as I got more grey, I started going lighter with my color.

It is actually less upkeep because the greys don't show up as much on blonde hair. I do have fair skin, and the different colors in my natural hair give me a highlighted look with only one-process color. To answer OP's question, I am very happy as a blonde!

I started with dark brown hair, but as I got more grey, I started going lighter with my color.

It is actually less upkeep because the greys don't show up as much on blonde hair. I do have fair skin, and the different colors in my natural hair give me a highlighted look with only one-process color. To answer OP's question, I am very happy as a blonde!

I have also found this to be true. I had dark hair and started to go gray in my 20's. It was my hair stylist that pointed out that the gray in my hair, which I dye light blond, comes in as highlights. Means that I never have to pay more than $10 to have blond hair with highlights!

I have light-to-mediumish brown hair, I was blonde as a child. I have found that going lighter is kind of hit or miss, it could look great, or really bad:) Right now, I'm trying to go back natural (haven't seen my real hair since I was 12!) and I find the darker roots really disheartening:( I really recommend going with a great haircut to change your style, rather than your color.

My hair is/was naturally very dark brown. When I starting getting a large percentage of gray in my early 40's, I went blondish. I was happy with it at the time and my roots didn't show as fast because of the gray.

Earlier this year, I decided to go back to my natural dark brown. I got so many compliments from everyone about how much younger it makes me look that I will keep it dark as long as I can. It is much more work as I have to dye it every two weeks to keep my gray roots from showing, but it's worth it to me.

I believe because my hair was originally so dark that my complexion and features look better with dark hair. I second the advice to try on a blonde wig and see how you look before committing to it.

I agree that it depends on your coloring - I have seen to many women with the same 'bottled blonde' hair that definitely does not suit them. This is when you want to go to a good color technician and discuss your options before making a final decision!

I had dark brown hair, but had to start high lighting when I was in mid-thirties. It got to the point that my hair was light brown, but natural hair almost white, so was coloring every week to avoid the "skunk stripe". Now I've gone to my natural color of silvery gray. (Took about a year and a half and some fancy color magic from a very talented hair stylist.) Do I love it? Not sure, but I can tell you that I get more compliments than I did with colored hair and it's a lot cheaper!

Someone mentioned skin tone and I think that is the biggest issue. Perhaps I get more compliments because my hair and skin tone now "go together". I tried to keep my colored hair ashy, which matches my cool tone skin, but color has a mind of its own and will change with sun, shampoos, etc.

I will give the blonde wig a try - i ordered one but I know that wigs are different from real hair so.......

I have until the end of this month that is when i have my hair appt. My skin color is a warm color - I tan easily never burn

I just figured we are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and I'm 47 and have never done anything really exciting to my hair - but then again I don't want to look horrible or older either

I say go for it. Go to a good colorist who can choose the right shade of blonde for your coloring and try it. You will have lost nothing but a little time and money. If you don't like it, you can always change it back to your natural color.

If you do like it, just be aware that the upkeep is expensive, not just touch ups but you will need to use the correct shampoo, etc., to maintain the color.

Now, we blondes would never admit to coloring our hair, but I know someone very close to me who had rather dark hair but went a lot lighter, and couldn't be more pleased. I love my blonde hair, um I mean my friend loves the blonde hair and it does make me, um, her, look younger.

Now, we blondes would never admit to coloring our hair, but I know someone very close to me who had rather dark hair but went a lot lighter, and couldn't be more pleased. I love my blonde hair, um I mean my friend loves the blonde hair and it does make me, um, her, look younger.

Good to know! I'm sure there is a lot of up keep?

• 2 months later...
I've had highlights before but am toying with the idea of going really light! Just wondering if anyone has done this and do they like their new color?

I'm doing a search on haircut and color on board a ship, but I found this thread. I thought I would add my thoughts.

I have medium brown hair with a lot of reddish gold highlights. I have been coloring my hair blonde for 50 years. I seem to have the skin color that "goes" with blonde hair. The trick for me is to find a good colorist who can tone the blonde to get the red highlights out. We brunettes have a lot of red in our hair, and it turns yucky strawberry blonde (not in a good way), because most blonde color treatments are gold based.

My hairdresser uses a light blonde and mixes a few lines of purple toner into the mixture. Ash toners tend to make reddish brown hair look flat and pick up too much of a gray tone. The purple just erases the red tones.

The way I know the color is right is when my hair is wet. If it has no red tone to it wet, then I'm good with it.

Hope this helps.

I started hi lighting my hair in my 30's to cover gray. The more gray the more hi lights. The more my hair was hi lighted the "warmer" it got which was not true to my natural ash coloring. Finally at the age of 57 I had enough and decided it was time to go natural. I had my hair deeply hi lighted in platinum adding more each time for about a year until I was fairly close to all "silver" then let it go natural. The whole process has taken almost three years but I am now totally silver and totally natural. The most surprising thing for me is that I have gotten more compliments on my hair in the last year than I got I the previous 15 years together. I think it's because my hair actually "matches" my natural skin tone. I don't think people. ...including me... Understand how important the warm/cool coloring is to your natural "beauty".

I have always felt that the best hair colors are within a few shades of your natural color, either lighter or darker. That being said, make sure you really look at your natural color carefully. Be sure to stick with warm or cool.

I think one of the things that goes through my mind is how often when I see someone, I say "is that their natural color?" The reason for that is, it doesn't look natural.

I have quite a bit of gray coming in these days, and it was suggested to me that this is a good time to go a shade lighter. Not only is the gray hair itself easier to hide, but your skin tends to pale a bit as we age.

I highlighted my hair for a while, but it just didn't work for me. It wasn't warm enough, and it was too light.

I have always felt that the best hair colors are within a few shades of your natural color, either lighter or darker. That being said, make sure you really look at your natural color carefully. Be sure to stick with warm or cool.

I think one of the things that goes through my mind is how often when I see someone, I say "is that their natural color?" The reason for that is, it doesn't look natural.

I have quite a bit of gray coming in these days, and it was suggested to me that this is a good time to go a shade lighter. Not only is the gray hair itself easier to hide, but your skin tends to pale a bit as we age.

I highlighted my hair for a while, but it just didn't work for me. It wasn't warm enough, and it was too light.

Also when you get so much gray that you need to apply color weekly to avoid the "skunk stripe" in you parted hair. You need to re-evaluate what you are trying to accomplish. When I needed to color every 8 days to look natural I realized that I needed to make a change. I'm happy I did and sorry I waited that long. My 30 yo youngest son is 50% gray. I have to thank my Scottish relatives for that gene. :rolleyes:

I have medium brown hair and use a two color process: the stylist first colors my hair a very dark blonde and then she adds lighter highlights using foil. I go about every 6 weeks and she paints the roots, with the full head of highlights done every third time. Must use super shampoo and conditioner and treatment and Miracle 10. Much better than the all "bleached blonde" look.

I have medium brown hair and use a two color process: the stylist first colors my hair a very dark blonde and then she adds lighter highlights using foil. I go about every 6 weeks and she paints the roots, with the full head of highlights done every third time. Must use super shampoo and conditioner and treatment and Miracle 10. Much better than the all "bleached blonde" look.

I did this, too, for years. Then, as I started to gray a little, my hair started taking on it's own streaked look. Now, it's a single color application, and the gray just doesn't absorb as much of the color (typical of gray hair).

It's quite natural looking.

As my hair grows out, it just gives me more "depth" to my color, and I get it done every 4 - 5 weeks.

Why do people always want to go blonde? Can't say I've ever run across a blonde who wanted to go dark.:D

I have a friend who is a classic Autumn, loves that color palette and looks great in those colors. For whatever reason, she's gone blonde but looks terrible because her hair is "fighting" with the Autumn palette.

Why do people always want to go blonde? Can't say I've ever run across a blonde who wanted to go dark.:D

I have a friend who is a classic Autumn, loves that color palette and looks great in those colors. For whatever reason, she's gone blonde but looks terrible because her hair is "fighting" with the Autumn palette.

I was a child platinum blond and as I entered my 20's my hair color turned to a very dull dark dirty blond and that is when I entered the world of hair coloring. At present I have a dark ash blond coloring done about every 6 weeks, and over that about every 3rd coloring I get heavy light blond highlights through a cap which this process for me blends grey better than foils. Last week when getting my hair done for the cruise I am leaving on today :) I toyed with the idea of no highlights and just stay the dark ash blond. Having very light blue/grey eyes and medium light skin the contrast was an awful washed out look!!! If I knew my natural hair color was that pretty Paula Deen silvery white I would go natural but it is a nasty grey according to my stylist, so I guess I am someone that needs to stay blond.

I was blonde as a child but as I got older my hair got darker and darker until I was mostly just...mouse. Then I started to grey in my 40s and started highlighting. My color got darker mouse. My daughter and daughter-in-law have been bugging me to do dark so I did last weekend. She actually put some lighter highlights in it, and I like the color. It really makes my eyes look BLUE. But I also cut four inches off, and right now I'm regretting losing the length! Sigh. At least my hair grows quickly.

From dark to light ends has been a trend lately (and I just read an article about how it's not dead yet). The magazines call it 'ombre'. Heh. I call it "letting your roots grow too long"!

Robin

DBarrymore_GL_20Aug10_pa_b_592x888_1.jpg

I was blonde as a child but as I got older my hair got darker and darker until I was mostly just...mouse. Then I started to grey in my 40s and started highlighting. My color got darker mouse. My daughter and daughter-in-law have been bugging me to do dark so I did last weekend. She actually put some lighter highlights in it, and I like the color. It really makes my eyes look BLUE. But I also cut four inches off, and right now I'm regretting losing the length! Sigh. At least my hair grows quickly.

From dark to light ends has been a trend lately (and I just read an article about how it's not dead yet). The magazines call it 'ombre'. Heh. I call it "letting your roots grow too long"!

Robin

You look sooooooo much like Drew Barrymore.:D

I totally understand staying blonde or going back to blonde, it's the ones who never were and don't look right now. Don't they realize they are now fodder for dumb blonde jokes?:p

Spoken as a life long natural blonde.:)

Archived