Has anyone used Seabands? Do they work?

kiraryker

My friend wore them on our 5 day cruise on the Elation in March 2011. She said they didn't work for her.

I gave her 2 Dramamine and she said those helped so much better.

I am an avid cruiser and I take 2 Dramamine tablets the first night and then 2 more the second night and I never have a problem with seasickness or drowsiness

too tight on my wrists, made my hands balloon up like crazy. I tried Motion Eze oil last cruise, worked great. I used to wear the RX patches, but by the 3rd day I couldn't read the menu they made my eyes do funny things. The oil works fast and well. It has a strong smell, but it's not bad.

Luckily I dont, or have never gotten, sea sick. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which is very similar to (Dimenhydronate) Dramamine acts like a sleeping pill on me and I can barely function.

I dont really buy the whole pressure point thing on the sea bands, but if it works for you, that is what counts.

Luckily I dont, or have never gotten, sea sick. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which is very similar to (Dimenhydronate) Dramamine acts like a sleeping pill on me and I can barely function.

I dont really buy the whole pressure point thing on the sea bands, but if it works for you, that is what counts.

There are scientific studies that support that when pressure is applied in the area of the P6 pressure point it counteracts nausea. I know it seems like a bunch of hooey but it really does work if they are applied to the proper position.

We have a tendancy to imbibe a bit when we sail and some of the other methods would have me sleeping through my cruise if I tried them. :p

I cruised with a group of 18 on the Carnival Magic on September 30, 2012. One of the passengers looked really green the first few hours after we left port. She put on the seabands and they worked a miracle. She enjoyed the rest of the cruise and says she will never cruise without them.

I have some seabands but used Bonine my last two cruises. I'm going to try them this next cruise because there was a thread a few weeks back about the combination of anti nausea medicine and alcohol. I didn't have any problems last time but others have.

My son tried dramamine last time and it just made him sleep thru the cruise then he tried Bonnie - didn't help - allergic to ginger

I'm hoping these work?

I only had to use them once but they worked just fine. I felt better after about an hour. Now I always carry a pair with me when cruising.

I am sold on seabands!! I was definitely skeptical going in but I find they really do work. I hate how all medicines make you so drowsy. I do believe they sell both child and adult sizes so depending on your child's age and size make sure you get the proper size as they do have to be fairly tight to apply pressure to the pressure point. Another thing is they are fairly inexpensive so you really don't have much to lose by trying them out.

As an RN, I am always skeptical about "natural" control of most anything-but decided to give the sea bands a try for severe nausea from medication I was taking. They worked wonders for me! I have never used them at sea, as I do not have a problem-but the pressure points they hit were nothing short of a miracle for controlling the nausea! Well worth a try! (Just have plan B ready in case they do not work for you! ;))

Diane Strickland RN BS CRNI

Archived