Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

PS... does anyone know if they have a riesling for a house wine?

House wines (at least as served in the lounges) recently included LeTerre Cabernet, Merlot and Chardonnay; A whit Zin (generally Beringer) and a cheap sparkling wine. I'd like to think they'd expand that list for the beverage package....Perhaps we will hear more after the end the first cruises with the package. I have not see a reisling offered as a house wine, though it would be a nice addition....well almost anything would be a nice addition. I'm no wine expert, but RCI's food and beverage department could make better budget friendly choices, IMHO.

I also agree 100%. I have had the premium alcohol package on Celebrity 4 times. The beauty of the package is that it includes all non-alcohol drinks and they can really really add up.

When you add up the large bottles of Pellegrino and cappuchinos or lattes it is really a great program. It is nice because you do not have the drink alcohol to "get your moneys worth".

Truthfully there were days I never had an alcohol drink until dinner at late seating and I still did fine.

Since Royal has been so reluctant to roll out the alcohol packages and there has been at least one well publicized alcohol related incident that resulted in a fatality on their ships (which could have happened on any cruise ship on any cruise line)..... I am shocked that they don't throw in the premium coffes, bottled teas, bottled waters, red bull, vitamin water, bottled juices, etc.....

It would seem to me that you would want your drinkers to be indulging in some non-alcohol drinks and not just ordering another "rum and coke" because it is "paid for". Also from a bottom line perspective, a human bladder can only take so much liquid in one day. Corporate should want me drinking cheaper items like bottles of water or soda rather than a Grey Goose Martini....... They make way more money on coffee and water than greygoose......

For me there is not a chance that I would take this package without the option of coffees and teas, waters and juices, and smoothies..........

I would gladly pay over $400.00 for the all inclusive concept, but I am not paying $400.00 and then have a $200.00 bar tab for coffees, waters and sodas.......

It will be interesting to see what the package includes, as I have used Celebrity's before, and they include the waters, coffees and other non-alcoholic drinks. My wife and I have enjoyed very good glasses of wine at dinner and usually our waiter asks about our preferences and would have appropriate suggestions for our dinner wine.

I will assume that we haven't got the entire run-down of this package yet or that Royal will quickly having to be tweaking it....right now with the details supplied to us by the posters on this thread....it's marketed stickily as a drunk fest pkg in my view.....but I shall wait to see what happens by the time Royal "officially" announces it.

Edited by bajathree

From what I had read when the first introduced the package, this restriction was not in place. What happened, only one person from a couple was buying the package then sharing it with the other. Same as happens with the soda package, just at a higher cost. To alleviate this they put in the new restrictions where all in a cabin over 21 needed to purchase.

As usual those who try to "work the system" make it more expensive for the rest of of us.

Agreed

If it still is the same on my sailing I am going to point out-to the proper head person on my cruise how a family stateroom can have many that may not drink and it is really not fair the way it is marketed.

Who would that person be???

I will assume that we haven't got the entire run-down of this package yet or that Royal will quickly having to be tweaking it....right now with the details supplied to us by the posters on this thread....it's marketed stickily as a drunk fest pkg in my view.....but I shall wait to see what happens by the time Royal "officially" announces it.

Agree completely. Hopefully they will make some changes soon.

Agreed

If it still is the same on my sailing I am going to point out-to the proper head person on my cruise how a family stateroom can have many that may not drink and it is really not fair the way it is marketed.

Who would that person be???

People cheated. A lot. I can't blame RC one little bit for requiring every adult over the age of 21 and not pregnant or otherwise medically-excused to buy the package.

People cheated. A lot. I can't blame RC one little bit for requiring every adult over the age of 21 and not pregnant or otherwise medically-excused to buy the package.

We can be medically excused? I don't drink because of medical issues but DH would be a good candidate for the package. I do drink a lot of Pelligrino, but definitely not $55 a day worth, even if it was included.

There are many reasons, beside medical that one in your party does not drink. And like I pointed out-some of these staterooms hold many people. It would be nice if they would at least think about these issues.

There are many reasons, beside medical that one in your party does not drink. And like I pointed out-some of these staterooms hold many people. It would be nice if they would at least think about these issues.

I see both sides of this issue, but royal can just say well you dont have to get it then. But there is a big difference between them overlooking sharing a soda pass and sharing an alcohol package.

I sure hope RCCL is monitoring this thread....

It seems that the vast majority of the masses here are in agreement that they will only buy the package if it is more inclusive of the non-alcohol options.

So many of you have made SUCH great points!! I hope the powers that be are listening...

A. They would make so much more money off of this package if people were opting to drink non-alcoholic drinks for a good portion of the day rather than trying to get their full package worth filling up on Grey Goose Martinis.

B. They would SELL many more packages if it was more inclusive of the non-alcoholic options

C. They are setting the stage for a "drunk fest" if it doesn't include more non-alcoholic options

Come on, RCCL... tweak this program to look more like Celebrity's!!! It will be good all around for you to do so :D

Based on the posting about what they anticipate the package will include or not include, we will not be getting it. It just will not pay for us to do it.

But we are booked on Divina next April and they have an all inclusive that works out to about $21 per day. It includes wines, liquors, beers, PLUS coffees, bottled water, sodas, ice cream & smoothies and fresh squeezed juices. We have already signed up for that online ahead of time because I'm afraid the cruise line might wise up too much and up the price.

Where are you reading about the restrictions and that all adults have to buy a package? I don't think we actually know enough about this new program yet. when we find out what is actually included and what it is about we can complain about it.

Cool! No more smuggling threads. After all, having a bottle in your room was just for "convenience", right? :rolleyes:

If I am reading the new program correctly it does not allow for keeping a bottle of liquor and some beers in your room. If that is the case then for the convenience of having a drink on my balcony whenever the whim strikes me smuggling will still be necessary for me. If the new program allows me to walk up to a bar and ask for three unopened beers and a pint of liquor to go then you are correct and most likely my smuggling days will be over.

Where are you reading about the restrictions and that all adults have to buy a package? I don't think we actually know enough about this new program yet. when we find out what is actually included and what it is about we can complain about it.

It was stated on the original-European sailing trial.

Also-the beginning of the thread by someone on board.;)!!

Uh, not sure what Goes Cruising's post is all about - LOL.

I just figured up it would be $885 for the week for my husband and I.

$885/2 = $442 per person for the week

$442/$8 (what I figure is the average foo-foo drink price) = 55 drinks

55 drinks/7 days = 8 drinks per day per person

When I first heard this was being introduced, I was so excited! I had visions of BBCs for breakfast everyday! :rolleyes: Plus, thinking it would absorb the cost of the soda package my husband gets every cruise, plus a speciality coffee after-dinner and maybe a bottle of Pelligrino or two.

But if those items are not included, I think it might be a little harder to justify. Considering I know we'll already be spending some $$$ on specialty restaurants and wine, I'm not so sure this is going to be a winner for us.

Just my thoughts.

Ann

Geez,

If they indeed roll this out it is simply an option. So why all the complaining and no official details even out yet. If it is all above 21 in a cabin have to buy it so what. That is RCIs decision and probably based on valid reasons like people sharing and cheating the system. Clearly Royal is a different client base than Celebrity so it is likely that it needs to be different and even more expensive because likely more heavy drinkers on Royal. They aren't doing this to save everyone a bunch of money. It is an option that could be selected for one of many reasons (ie. knowing your bar bill before you even leave or perhaps saving money for those that drink more, etc.). So there is nothing different than now if you don't buy it and your cruises will be the same as in the past with regards to ordering and paying for drinks. I have been on 40+ cruises and drink plenty on a cruise. I'm quite sure I won't do it since it won't be worth it to me. However, I am glad they are giving everyone an option. Please enough with the complaining. One person already said he is trying to find out who to complain to on the ship. Really? Some people are just ridiculous.

I liked the new wine policy, very reasonable but, not to be a killjoy, I do drink, but I'm not sure I like this idea. I know, don't like it, don't buy it, but it's different that fee restaurants and such. Time will tell if it has an effect but it seems to me there will be more drunk pax with the program.

It's human nature to overindulge, especially on vacation. Many people overeat (me included) on a cruise because so much food is available w/o additional charges. Once a person has bought the program, it might be hard (or at least harder) to stay within the normal limits, a buzz instead of drunk. People who overeat don't affect me or my family but people that overdrink can. Seems like bar staff will be working harder and making more drinks. There will always be drunks on a ship paying their way drink by drink but time will tell if there are more of them with the program.

I liked the new wine policy, very reasonable but, not to be a killjoy, I do drink, but I'm not sure I like this idea. I know, don't like it, don't buy it, but it's different that fee restaurants and such. Time will tell if it has an effect but it seems to me there will be more drunk pax with the program.

It's human nature to overindulge, especially on vacation. Many people overeat (me included) on a cruise because so much food is available w/o additional charges. Once a person has bought the program, it might be hard (or at least harder) to stay within the normal limits, a buzz instead of drunk. People who overeat don't affect me or my family but people that overdrink can. Seems like bar staff will be working harder and making more drinks. There will always be drunks on a ship paying their way drink by drink but time will tell if there are more of them with the program.

1. Celebrity offers this package and everyone in the cabin does not have to purchase it.

2. As a person who would definitely buy a package, should it be available, I would say that noone should overreact to something like this. I have been on a Celebrity Cruise which offered this package, and I bought one of them. I saw not one person get drunk and out of hand. Seems as if some people would not be happy with cold ice cream.....lol. I have been on many cruises, and have only seen one person so drunk they couldn't function, and RCI left him on the pier in Cozumel with the local police. I am not sure where some of these posters see all these drunks....maybe they are just looking for them??? or hanging out where the drunks hang out.

PS-We will be on LOS in three weeks, I will let you know if the packages are available, and how well they worked if so.

I sure hope RCCL is monitoring this thread....

It seems that the vast majority of the masses here are in agreement that they will only buy the package if it is more inclusive of the non-alcohol options.

So many of you have made SUCH great points!! I hope the powers that be are listening...

A. They would make so much more money off of this package if people were opting to drink non-alcoholic drinks for a good portion of the day rather than trying to get their full package worth filling up on Grey Goose Martinis.

B. They would SELL many more packages if it was more inclusive of the non-alcoholic options

C. They are setting the stage for a "drunk fest" if it doesn't include more non-alcoholic options

Come on, RCCL... tweak this program to look more like Celebrity's!!! It will be good all around for you to do so :D

I agree 100%. RCCL would definitely get my money if they offer a package that includes alcohol and non-alcholic beverages.

Uh, not sure what Goes Cruising's post is all about - LOL.

I just figured up it would be $885 for the week for my husband and I.

$885/2 = $442 per person for the week

$442/$8 (what I figure is the average foo-foo drink price) = 55 drinks

55 drinks/7 days = 8 drinks per day per person

When I first heard this was being introduced, I was so excited! I had visions of BBCs for breakfast everyday! :rolleyes: Plus, thinking it would absorb the cost of the soda package my husband gets every cruise, plus a speciality coffee after-dinner and maybe a bottle of Pelligrino or two.

But if those items are not included, I think it might be a little harder to justify. Considering I know we'll already be spending some $$$ on specialty restaurants and wine, I'm not so sure this is going to be a winner for us.

Just my thoughts.

Ann

I'm actually on her cruise....

Its our updated roll call.....she must have had two threads open at once........

Since my name and room number is prominently displayed feel free to send me some "bon voyage gifts".....lol

I agree 100%. RCCL would definitely get my money if they offer a package that includes alcohol and non-alcholic beverages.

Even the Carnival program which is $42.95 per person per day allows up to 15 drinks a day and the individual drinks can't be more than $10.00 per drink....but you can order non-alcohol drinks as one of your fifteen drinks......... I would buy that program in a heartbeat.......

I think after paying $55.00 per day it would be an insult ot be charged $2.00 for a can of soda....jmo

Edited by cherylroslyn

I havent read this whole thread yet but have we gotten an official word? Didnt Mr Goldstein JUST say a few months ago there were NO plans to bring this package to the ships sailing US sailings? :confused:

This package is of no interest to me. 110.00 (assuming only two pax per cabin) X 7 nights is half another cruise and I dont drink that much anyway.

However, if true, I am happy for my fellow CC'ers that will benefit from such a package :)

Edited by ryano