Quick Riviera Review from vetran cruiser on other lines

Bruce4fun

I was disappointed with my main course in Toscana in July 2012. A great hunk of beef that overwhelmed the plate. No finesse at all. The special side dish that the waiter suggested - coffee pasta - was wonderful and made up for it. I will be sure to question more when I order next time since a huge portion of meat isn't my preferred meal.

BTW, this was on the Marina.

There was a question about dover sole - my husband thought it was very nicely done.

The first night we ate in Jacques they had a chef special. Bouillabaisse. We had had this dish in the GDR and loved it, and it is a fav of ours. We both ordered it and it was awful. Should have sent it back.

Next up we ordered Cassoulet, the traditional French bean dish made with confit duck, among other meats. I have made this myself, confited the duck myself and eaten it all over France. Guess what? It was practically inedible. Every tiny cafe in Paris can make it better. Should have sent it back.

On our last cruise we ate there only once and I ordered the rotisserie pork that was the subject of such great debate here on CC that FDR himself weighed in. It was ok but overcooked for my liking. I had requested to have it cooked medium, to about 155 degrees, ( pork is now commonly served this way in Canada and is so much better when still showing some pink), however I was told it had to be well done and that is likely why I didn't care for it. Should have ordered something else at that point.

I understand the roast beef is great as is the lobster thermidor. I did eat foie gras at every opportunity and it was yummy. Tried to order mussels and was told every time that they were not available as they did not meets Chef's standards. If this is the case they should be taken off the menu and served as a special when they are available.

Our next cruise is 25 days on Nautica. I will miss Red Ginger more than Jacques.

Mo

Thanks for your response and to all others who have weighed in.

My wife doesn't eat shellfish or pork, so I try to stay mostly consistent with her, particularly on entrees, unless there is a compelling dish in that genre. The responses have helped me eliminate a few things that might otherwise have been enticing to me.

We thought the Dover Sole in Jacques to be quite good, but when thinking of a Fish entree on the Oceania class ships, our thoughts inevitably turn to the Miso glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger.

170424.jpg

The quality of the fish is absolutely unbelievable, the preparation and presentation exquisite.

Literally the best thing that either one of us has EVER eaten at sea, in a lifetime of cruising.

This is a MUST.

I was disappointed with my main course in Toscana in July 2012. A great hunk of beef that overwhelmed the plate. No finesse at all. The special side dish that the waiter suggested - coffee pasta - was wonderful and made up for it. I will be sure to question more when I order next time since a huge portion of meat isn't my preferred meal.

IF this dish as "Bistecca fiorentina" then it was true to what it should be... a great hunk of beef! usually very tender and often seasoned with lemon, but huge! In restaurants in Italy, if we have this, we order one for the two of us!!

We thought the Dover Sole in Jacques to be quite good, but when thinking of a Fish entree on the Oceania class ships, our thoughts inevitably turn to the Miso glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger.

170424.jpg

The quality of the fish is absolutely unbelievable, the preparation and presentation exquisite.

Literally the best thing that either one of us has EVER eaten at sea, in a lifetime of cruising.

This is a MUST.

I think the biggest compliment I can pay to this dish is this:

I do not eat fish at all -the only exception to this is my teriyaki BBQ salmon at home. Period.

Somehow I was convinced to try this dish and I loved it so much that I've had it several times; I don't order it anywhere else but plan to have it again on Marina. :D

Along with the sea bass, there is another absolute winner at Red Ginger, the rack of lamb. The best I have ever had. Mild and cooked to perfection.

They have lamb in RG ????

How did I miss that :eek:

I love the lamb on Oceania

We have been on three Oceania cruises, countless family cruises on mega lines, and a cruise on Riviera in a couple of weeks. The fish is exceptional. My wife hates fish at home, she won't touch it no matter what the Zagat rating of the restaurant is. But on Oceania, she has fish every night. She loves the sea bass and the sole no matter how it is prepared. When we can't get into the restaurants, she orders the fish meals delivered to the cabin. Preparation and quality is unsurpassed.

As far as the beef dishes, please don't criticize the size of the portion. While I also love the fish, the plate size prime rib is fantastic. I'm 60 and 165 lbs. The 32 oz is just right for a splurge.

The 32 oz is just right for a splurge.

My husband likes this one too. I limited him to once per cruise!

when thinking of a Fish entree on the Oceania class ships, our thoughts inevitably turn to the Miso glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger.

Yes, there is no question this dish is beyond delicious. But be aware that it is Chilean Sea Bass or Patagonian Toothfish (CSB is a marketing moniker)and is very much in danger of being depleted. The sea bass served elsewhere on the ship is usually Black Sea Bass, which is not as meltingly delicious and is readily available.

The problem with serving Patagonian Toothfish is that the legal fishery is very small and most fish available in the market is from not so credible sources, thus adding to the depletion of stocks. Many high end restaurants have not served it for many years.

Oceania is very responsible steward of the Oceans and even though their Patagonian Toothfish may be legal, many people are getting hooked on it in Red Ginger and then searching it out at home, where it likely is not a legally caught fish.

Yes, I have eaten it on Oceania. And I feel guilty everytime I do....I guess that is the definition of a guilty pleasure!

Mo

The lobster bisque, dover sole, the lobster thermidor and the scallops are great at Jaques but their best dish is the chocolate ice cream.

At Red Ginger besides the Sea Bass I recommend also the fried calamari.

Paco

And in Red Ginger, the Sole Tempura.

I agree with all of these comments. I'll be on my 42nd cruise in Jan - 1st time on Riviera - 2 Marina cruises (no R ships) - lots of Crystal, Regent, Silversea, and just returned from our 1st cruise on Celebrity. Oceania food is by far the best, service is great (just a notch below Crystal and Regent), and my husband loves no formal nights. Entertainment and activities are not as good as Celebrity or even Princess so that's the trade-off. Looking forward to meeting anyone sailing on Jan 13. We are in our mid-fifties from southern Ca.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Your posts about Oceania are amazing. We have never been on an Oceania cruise before and on January 3rd, we will be sailing our of Miami on our first. After reading all of your comments, I am on the edge of my seat with anticipation.....can hardly wait.

Thanks fellow cruisers for all of your good info and insight.

Oceania food is by far the best, service is great and my husband loves no formal nights.

Agree about the food, the service, and the lack of formal nights. A collared shirt for men and no shorts or jeans...i guess that's the official definition of "country club casual." Its wonderful....gary

Archived