Port to Airport timing question

cruise wizard

Absolutely Yes. That is actually a very good flight time.

A few years ago, we had an 11:00 am flight and we were not worried at all. We had a leisurely breakfast and we were some of the later passengers to get off the ship at about 7:45. We claimed our luggage, hopped in a taxi, and we were at the airport at about 8:20. When we were checking in, they told us that there was a problem with our 11:00 flight, but they could get us on the 9:30 flight. We walked to the gate and we were the first people to arrive for that flight.

Absolutely Yes. That is actually a very good flight time.

A few years ago, we had an 11:00 am flight and we were not worried at all. We had a leisurely breakfast and we were some of the later passengers to get off the ship at about 7:45. We claimed our luggage, hopped in a taxi, and we were at the airport at about 8:20. When we were checking in, they told us that there was a problem with our 11:00 flight, but they could get us on the 9:30 flight. We walked to the gate and we were the first people to arrive for that flight.

How was going through customs at the port and at the airport? Did you do the walk off with your luggage? Plenty of cabs at the port?

Thanks again.....

Cruise Wizard,

Customs was quick and easy. We did not walk of with our luggage since we had plenty of time. There was a line of cabs waiting for us. They don't speak English. Be sure to know some very basic Spanish, or have a print out to give them. There was moderate traffic, but not bad. When we got to the terminal, it seemed like it was just opening, there were very few lines.

Others have reported busier terminals. But I can't imagine missing an 11:30 flight unless there was a very serious problem.

We were on the Liberty and had a 10AM flight last week. Ship docked a little later, so we didn't get out of the terminal until 6:45 (we walked off with our bags). We were in line to exit the ship at 6:15, so we were one of the first ones out and easily got a cab. We were at the airport by 7:15 (even with a small delay on the highway due to an accident) and easily through Security and Customs. We had plenty of time to eat breakfast and look around at some of the shops before we began boarding at 9:10 AM. We could have easily made a 9:30 flight, but everything depends on when the ship docks, traffic, and airport lines.

A related question........

Our ship will dock at Barcelona at 10 AM at the end of our cruise, and we will have the rest of the day to explore Barcelona before returning to the ship to stay overnight. We will then disembark the next day. Since the ship will be in port almost 24 hours before disembarkation, what is the earliest we could walk off the ship with our luggage on the day of disembarkation; i.e., could we get off at 5 AM in order to catch an 8 AM flight? Since we had already been there for a day, would we have to go through any passport control or customs that morning?

Yes unless something unexpected happens you should have plenty of time.

Hi, Kirk-

Yes, I think we would have plenty of time IF we can get off the ship that early.....and that's my question; i.e., would there be an issue with either HAL or the local passport/customs people with us getting off the ship on that second day in port as early as 5 AM.....??

Our ship, the Serenade is scheduled to arrive in Barcelona at 6AM - we can get a flight out of Barcelona to Atlanta at 11:30AM - Is there enough time to get off the ship, clear customs and get to the airport and get checked in to make it??

Thanks

11:30 AM will be fine.

Keith

Our ship will dock at Barcelona at 10 AM at the end of our cruise, and we will have the rest of the day to explore Barcelona before returning to the ship to stay overnight. We will then disembark the next day. Since the ship will be in port almost 24 hours before disembarkation, what is the earliest we could walk off the ship with our luggage on the day of disembarkation; i.e., could we get off at 5 AM in order to catch an 8 AM flight? Since we had already been there for a day, would we have to go through any passport control or customs that morning?

On cruise lines I have been on this has been fine.

Check with your cruise line to see if that is OK.

Also post on your cruise line board to see what the experience has been from others.

Keith

Sounds like you are on an EU only cruise, so customs/passport check will be minimum if at all (we walked right off the ship, never even showed a passport). So the only question will be what time the ship and port will have the gangways open and staffed and the port doors open. 5 AM may be a bit early. Remember that security has to scan you off, confirm your bill is paid, etc.

Also, there may not be taxis waiting there at that early hour.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have heard there may be long lines for taxis after disembarking. We will need to get to airport early, did anyone hire a private car transfer? If so, who?

I also would like to know about this. We are a group of 5 disembarking from the Epic on Sunday, May 26. The ship arrives in port at 5:00 am and we have a flight back to the U>S. at 10:45. Obviously, regular taxis wouldn't be big enough to accommodate the 5 of us and our luggage. Can we expect to find taxis at the port that early and if so, will there be mini-van taxis that would accommodate us? Or should be book transportation ahead of time? If that's the best way to go, can anyone recommend a reliable limo service?

I also would like to know about this. We are a group of 5 disembarking from the Epic on Sunday, May 26. The ship arrives in port at 5:00 am and we have a flight back to the U>S. at 10:45. Obviously, regular taxis wouldn't be big enough to accommodate the 5 of us and our luggage. Can we expect to find taxis at the port that early and if so, will there be mini-van taxis that would accommodate us? Or should be book transportation ahead of time? If that's the best way to go, can anyone recommend a reliable limo service?

There will be lots of taxis waiting as soon as the ship is cleared and passengers start disembarking.

However, the standard sized taxis only take up to 4 people. There are larger, van sized vehicles but there are a lot fewer of them.

As you are in a hurry, I think you would be better off pre-booking a transfer

BCN Travel have 7 seater vans for €69. You can find details here

Archived