Last Time The Century Was Refurbished?

cruisecrasy

When was the last time the Century was refurbished and when is she due again?

Sure hoping someone can answer these questions...and if yes, I wish to thank you so much in advance!!

Have great cruisin' all! :)

She is still in good shape, but could use some modernizing.

An extensive Dry Dock was scheduled for April of 2013, but was abrubtly yanked recently. No refurbishments planned at all now.

Celebrity is being all "hush hush" as to why. One could only ponder. my take...she's being sold to another line in a couple years.

An extensive Dry Dock was scheduled for April of 2013, but was abrubtly yanked recently. No refurbishments planned at all now.

Celebrity is being all "hush hush" as to why. One could only ponder. my take...she's being sold to another line in a couple years.

According to the Captain and Hotel Manager a couple of weeks ago, the major refurb is still planned, just not scheduled. 31 days will be needed to complete what is planned and Victoria dry-dock did not have that much time available.

31 days is a LONG dry-dock. The M class Solsticisations took 21 days.

We'll see -- The real plans may not get down to ship level and I'm sure they didn't say anymore than they were allowed to say.

We thought she was in fine shape and we had a great cruise.

According to the Captain and Hotel Manager a couple of weeks ago, the major refurb is still planned, just not scheduled. 31 days will be needed to complete what is planned and Victoria dry-dock did not have that much time available.

We'll see -- The real plans may not get down to ship level and I'm sure they didn't say anymore than they were allowed to say.

If she gets the shape-up 31 day retrofit, we'll definitely be on her for a Pacific Coast cruise maybe in 2014. I hope they keep her. We had an excellent time back in May.

Within the last few weeks, Celebrity has scheduled new cruises for the period of time thought to be for the dry-dock. If there is one thing long time users of this board know is that Celebrity's rumor mill is very poor and includes those supposedly in the know like Captains and Hotel Manager.

If the rumors on the last Century refurb were true the Century was suppposed to be stretched so large that it wouldn't have to leave the dock in FLL to go to Nassau.

Again - take this with a grain of salt.....but the future cruise sales agent onboard the Summit last week said that the planned dry dock was postponed (hence the new sailings added in) because the designers/architects/etc. needed more time to work on the plans for the refurbishment. Adding a lot of Solstice class touches, Aqua class etc. She admitted they "screwed up" the Constellation's refurb because they didn't expect such a big demand for Aqua Class and the like and more time should have been spent on the planning.

As far as she knows, Century is staying in fleet and she is getting "Solsticized", its just a matter of the final refurb plans being accepted and MAKING a space in the schedule.

JasYHZ

But they were still working on the Summit for 2 weeks after sail from the refurbish. Better to finish in port.

JK

We just got off the Century this morning and I cannot say enough about how beautiful this ship is. Very elegant & clean and appears to be in great shape. I would love to sail on Century again!

Sherri

We would never every book a first cruise out of dry-dock. I think it's the same for all the lines. Get her back to sea, then worry about what's not finished.

The hotel mgr specifically said it's not really a Solsitization (I spell this a little different every time;)) -- but more of a unique niche vessel.

We'll be back in April -- It would be cool if it were done by then, but not likely.

We just got off the Century this morning and I cannot say enough about how beautiful this ship is. Very elegant & clean and appears to be in great shape. I would love to sail on Century again!

Sherri

We went downtown to take a walk this morning. We saw several crew members we had met on the Oct 5th cruise.

We may have bumped into you -- isn't it a beautiful day in San Diego?

We also saw some folks with their official Martini Mates shirts. :)

We would never every book a first cruise out of dry-dock. I think it's the same for all the lines. Get her back to sea, then worry about what's not finished.

LOL -- we learned this one the hard way, when we sailed RC's Serenade, immediately after dry-dock. Inside, they had not done much in the way of touch-ups -- but the whole outside of the ship was FILTHY! The balconies (including deck furniture) were covered in a thick layer of grime, and the window-washing equipment was going all week, just to get the windows clean enough to see out of them. :eek:

sjb,

thanks for your view. Also read a ship review this month by a person who had the same SV I will be in come December.

I love the Century, it feels like a ship rather than a floating hotel. And having less than 2000 passengers is my kind of ship.

sjb,

thanks for your view. Also read a ship review this month by a person who had the same SV I will be in come December.

I love the Century, it feels like a ship rather than a floating hotel. And having less than 2000 passengers is my kind of ship.

Having sailed for over 40 yrs.in all sizes of ships, my favorite is the one that has approximately or less than 2000 pax...

Its so easy to get from place to place, elevators aren't that busy, not many lineups and if there is one it is short and reasonably quick.

Room service is basically more personal (received, with our gratitude, a wonderful plate of choco covered strawberries at the end of our cruise on the Radiance recently, courtesy of the R.S. staff!!).

Complaints are dealt with quickly, dining wait times are a breeze, the reception area rarely has more than 5 or 6 folks in line and usually 1-2 or none ..Plus, in my own opinion, the best of all you get to know so many of the crew & other pax also. Feels more like a 'friendly/familiar' :) cruise..

Glitz, glitter & also huge are great but for me now I will take cruises on ships like the RCCLs Radiance class & Celebritys Century..

Have great cruisin' all!! :)

Again - take this with a grain of salt.....but the future cruise sales agent onboard the Summit last week said that the planned dry dock was postponed (hence the new sailings added in) because the designers/architects/etc. needed more time to work on the plans for the refurbishment.

JasYHZ

We literally just left the Century this morning, and from our balcony at the Holiday Inn On the Bay have just watched her depart. My birdwatcher hubby always travels with binoculars, and so we could see the captain (among other officers) on the starboard side bridge wing as she left. What a sad feeling to not be on the ship......

In any event, at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet Tom Brady (the hotel director for the first part of the cruise) was asked about Century's future and his answer essentially was the same as what the cruise sales manager told JasYHZ.

We were on Century last November, and have booked B2B cruises on her again for next fall. We have been pleased with her. Century has some of the loveliest public room on the entire Celebrity fleet.

Just off the Summit and had an incredible amount of interaction with numerous officers. I mentioned the rumors of Century being gone from the fleet and was told that nothing was certain. However, my spidey sense told me to re-phrase the question, and I did:

Q-"I'd really hate never to sail on Century, having missed Mercury and Galaxy. Do you think I'm safe holding off until late 2014 to sail her?"

A-"Um, I think you'd have better luck booking something in the next year to year and a half."

Make of this what you will.

Just off the Summit and had an incredible amount of interaction with numerous officers. I mentioned the rumors of Century being gone from the fleet and was told that nothing was certain. However, my spidey sense told me to re-phrase the question, and I did:

Q-"I'd really hate never to sail on Century, having missed Mercury and Galaxy. Do you think I'm safe holding off until late 2014 to sail her?"

A-"Um, I think you'd have better luck booking something in the next year to year and a half."

Seems like my original premise remains. She's going to be sold off to a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean, probably sometime in 2014. Actually, that's my refined premise.

• 3 weeks later...

Cldn't be clearer to me so I booked her for a spring cruise and am considering a summer one also..

Have you booked a cruise on her yet?

Looks like we are going to have to say farewell..sometime during the next yr to a yr & 1/2...so sad!!! :/

No one believes that about having to cancel a much needed drydock to do more 're-designs' do they esp when one reads she is offered FOR SALE??? :D

Many thanks to you all for info offered & all the insights also..

Have great cruisin' all! :)

perhaps this is the reason for the Hawaii cruises being so discounted for the sailings into the next year? $87.00 a day pp (inside) 15 night Hawaii....

I'm thinking HAL is the better choice for 18 days @ twice the price? Thoughts?

perhaps this is the reason for the Hawaii cruises being so discounted for the sailings into the next year? $87.00 a day pp (inside) 15 night Hawaii....

I'm thinking HAL is the better choice for 18 days @ twice the price? Thoughts?

Having sailed on the Mercury twice and having a few Hal cruises under my belt, I'd take the Century in a heartbeat! Can't beat those prices and if all goes well I'll be on her in April.

Love the Amsterdam and have sailed on her 4 times, but would never pay double the price of Celebrity.:confused:

Archived