Oasis of the Seas Review 10/27/12 Western

mj

OASIS OF THE SEAS 10/27/12

First off, this a great ship and had a great time on this cruise. This was my 8th cruise on Royal and my last cruise was on the Allure of the Seas. Traveled with my mom on this cruise. At the end of the review, I will try to give my pros and cons of the cruise. While, I had a wonderful time, it was not perfect by any stretch. Here is a picture of me:

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg

Precruise up next:

Precruise

Left on Friday afternoon to drive down to Cocoa, FL. Expected bad weather for the drive of 7 hours, but only got into rain and wind on the last hour of the drive. By the time, we got to the hotel, it had stopped raining and was windy. Got to the hotel around 11pm and went to bed since we had a 3 hr drive the next morning. Also, with Hurricane Sandy, did not knowif that would delay getting on the cruise. Had to keep checking Royal’s website for updated info.

The next morning got up around 7am and could not wait to board the ship. Checked the Port Everglades webcam and saw that Oasis had gotten into the port. It was real windy in Cocoa and saw that cruises out of Port Canaveral had been affected. Got some gas near the hotel and got to the port around 12:30. Weather improved as we drove down to Port Everglades and was sunny and hot. Parked at the port and headed to check in.

Day 1

Have to say Royal has got check in down to a science on Oasis and Allure. Was on the ship in less than 15 minutes. My experience was very similar on the Allure. Quick and easy. Had purchased a Central Dining Park Package and that was the first thing on my agenda. Had no problem getting the nights and times that I wanted for Central Park 150 and Chop’s. Very easy and since I was in Central Park, time to go and get a roast beef sandwich. Very tasty. Had to sit outside since the place was packed and it was very windy.

The muster drill was at 4:30 and sailed away at 5pm. That 10 hr drive over the last two day was beginning to take a toll. Was getting very tired. The Captain at the muster drill had told us to expect some motion this evening. Had reservation at Giovanni’s at 6:30 and had a much better meal last year on the Allure. Had the shrimp entrée like I did last year on the Allure. The food was good, not great. The scallop appetizer was very good though along with the desserts. My mom ordered the steak. It was good, but in all honesty, the beef dish she had on the first formal night was better than Giovanni’s.

Since I am a planner, had reservations for Hairspray that evening at 8:45. Was giving myself a big pat on the back for not scheduling Oasis of Dreams. With the boat rocking and rolling that evening, figured they would cancel Oasis of Dreams. Got to the Opal theater and had found out that they had canceled Hairspray for the evening due to weather and would be rescheduled for Friday afternoon. Found out later on when I attended the show, that was not the real reason for the show being cancelled.

I was tired and went to bed instead. Glad to be on the Oasis. I did not take a lot of pictures the first two days. Promise to post more as the cruise goes on

Day 2 (Sunday) Sea Day

The bottom line was this day was a blur to me. Slept late and ordered room service. Came right on time. That was the only time that it was prompt. One day, it came 45 minutes early and the last sea day it came after the 30 minute period. The last day the order was incorrect. However; after about 5 minutes later, heard a knock on the door and it was the room service guy who then brought the rest of the order. No big deal.

Had to order room service on the TV this time. If you wanted hot items like bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, eggs, or the fruit plate, it was not on the door hanger menu. Only cold items were available Not a problem to order on the TV and I hope that Royal is not going to do away with the hot menu. One of the little things that I like about them.

If you are a past guest, they had the past guest party at the aqua theater at 10:45 am on the first sea day. Skipping forward, it was the first formal night and dinner was great. Had the duck and my mom had the beef. Both were well prepared and service was excellent. Went to my time dining at 6:45 and had a reservation. They had 2 lines set up on this cruise: one for reservations and the other for without. Neither line was busy.

The one thing I noticed on this cruise was the lines were long for my time dining after 8pm. It would be both sides. That was very consistent throughout the cruise. Never had to wait at all going around 7-7:30 each night. When walking out of the dining room each night, there would be a long line.

Had a 9pm reservation for Oasis of Dreams. Walked in 15 minutes before and got a great seat. This was a great show. Thought it was better than the similar show on the Allure.

Pictures are uploading again, so cannot post pictures right now.

Amazing how different peoples' experiences are. We sailed 9/15, second time on Oasis and had an even more amazing time than the first.

I can address two of your issues with our experience. We also dined at Giovanni's the first night and LOVED the food. Yes, the scallops were amazing. We also had filet of sole, antipasta, caesar salad, and a shrimp entree. All were amazing and we are experienced diners/travelers, not people who settle. The wine stamp for our wine package was mistakenly not put on our sea pass when we boarded so our waiter went all the way to Guest Services while we dined and got them for us.

We had breakfast from room service most days. There were eggs, hash browns, and bacon listed on the door menu which is how we ordered every time. The breakfast came at the exact minute we indicated it was wanted and we got a call before to tell us it was coming. One day they sent the wrong breakfast but sent the correct one in about 15 minues after we called. After that, everyday, we received a treat in our cabin from the Room Service staff and supervisor. We got chocolate covered strawberries, fruit plate, fancy cookies, and red velvet cupcakes. The customer service throughout the entire cruise was impeccible!:)

Day 3 (Monday) Labadee

Sorry for the delay in posting. Have been under the weather.

Love the beach day at Labadee. Got onto the beach around 10am and got back on the ship around 2:30pm. It was hot, but found a nice shade tree. Beach did not feel overly crowded. Buffet was good. Always enjoy the ribs and having a Labadoozie.

Anyways around 5pm, we along with others were invited to the Helipad for the sailaway. Nice event. Had the bagpipe player, some free drinks, and King Julien. Miss being able to go on the Helipad like you can on the other ships. Here are some pictures from the event and the sailaway:

OasisoftheSeas132.jpg

OasisoftheSeas130.jpg

OasisoftheSeas128.jpg

OasisoftheSeas126.jpg

OasisoftheSeas121.jpg

OasisoftheSeas119.jpg

Here are some random thoughts:

Cruise Director

The cruise director for this cruise was Ricky Matthews. I thought he was ok. Nothing special. Heard some much negative about Amy and mostly positive for Ricky. Cruise directors do not make or break a cruise for me. He really did not add anything to the cruise. He was normally accompanied by the Activities director, Patricio, on the morning show. Enjoyed Allan Brooks on the Allure so much better. Thought Allan was funnier. The Newlywed game on this cruise was funny, but did not think the Ricky added anything to the show.

Crowds

Did not find the ship to be crowded as others said. There were times when it was. Particularly on the last day at the shops and guest services. And of course, the Windjammer. Ate mostly breakfast and it could be packed. Started going around 10:30 and the crowds were much lighter.

Starbucks

I came in with a plan. Had a $50 gift card from Starbucks and was going to use it on this cruise. Worked like a charm the first sea day. Then the machine stopped working and did not work the rest of the cruise. Could not use the giftcard the rest of the cruise and had to use my sail and sign card. The lady that took most of my orders was not the friendliest person I’ve ever met. The coffee was good though, if you like Starbucks.

Room Steward

My room steward was Hubert. He introduced himself on the first day. He was such a joy. He always had a smile on his face and could hear him humming or singing while he was cleaning the rooms. He was very friendly and always called us by our first name. Did a good job cleaning and took care of a maintenance problem for us.

OasisoftheSeas477.jpg

Up next: Central Park 150

Day 3 Labadee

After a long day in Labadee, it was time for dinner. Had a reservation for Central Park 150. Try did not try that on the Allure the last time. Overall, thought it was good, but not great. May or may not try it again. It was interesting trying the different salts around the world. My favorite items of the night was the pear dish, pasta dish and fish dish. Service was outstanding. The captain was also in the restaurant th at evening to dine as well.

Here are some of the pictures:

OasisoftheSeas144.jpg

OasisoftheSeas143.jpg

OasisoftheSeas146.jpg

OasisoftheSeas147.jpg

OasisoftheSeas151.jpg

Some of the various salts to try.

As I said earlier, the Captain was dining that evening as well. He stopped by and said hello and was kind enough to take a picture with us.

OasisoftheSeas159.jpg

After that went to the Newlywed game and went to bed.

Up Next: Falmouth

Day 4(Tuesday) Falmouth

Well, we got into Jamaica at 10am. Did not have anything specifically planned. Got off the boat around 11 and just walked around the shops. Went into the town area briefly and headed back to the ships. Dinner was great as the rack of lamb has returned and it was tender. The banana crème brulee was tried for the first time. That was wonderful as well. Tonight’s act was Audiovoxx. They were pretty good. It was a combination of comedy and singing. Very talented group.

OasisoftheSeas242.jpg

OasisoftheSeas245.jpg

OasisoftheSeas233.jpg

OasisoftheSeas247.jpg

Really enjoying this review--we are not booked until Sept 2013 but this gives great info & photos!!!! If possible can you post cabin pics..

Thanks so much!

We were in 7664 balcony on the starboard side.

OasisoftheSeas140.jpg

OasisoftheSeas139.jpg

OasisoftheSeas137.jpg

Did not really have a lot of pictures of the room, but it will give you an idea. Some rooms have the bed near the closet and the couch near the balcony.

Really enjoying this review--we are not booked until Sept 2013 but this gives great info & photos!!!! If possible can you post cabin pics..

Thanks so much!

hcat we were on the same sailing as mj my review has pics of the a D1 and B1 in which we stayed plus suites from our cabin crawl. Just click the Oasis pic on my signature.

Archived