Musings from a recent cruise...

juicyjuju

This isn't meant to be a review per se, just a few thoughts as someone who just cruised on one of the larger ships (Quest) for the first time. I have been on the Legend, Spirit and Pride many times.

The last time I was on the triplets was 2010 and although we had a nice time I felt it was time to move on and the triplets were feeling too dated, too intimate and too lacking in evening entertainment. We love to dance and we don't care for the small dance floor in the club on the triplets.

We sailed on the Quest on October 20th from Rome to Venice. We had a wonderful time. When we embarked it felt like the usual low-key, smooth, organized Seabourn experience. However once I got on the ship and walked around, I felt I was definitely on a "cruise ship" and not a large yacht...which I think is both negative and positive.

We loved the cabin. On a macro level it wasn't much different from the triplets but the little things mattered - the table where you could really eat dinner for two at etc.

The food was fabulous as always. Chef Thorsten (sp?) was both personable and accomplished. I loved our "shopping with the chef" outing with him. Seabourn laid on a coach for twelve guests and took us to the fish and produce market in Corfu. He bought some olives and dried beans; then two large fresh fish that cost close to $500 each.

The rest of the guests stayed in the market area with him and we rode back to the ship with him picking his brains on cooking techniques...very helpful! He had a Michelin starred restaurant in Hamburg so clearly he knows what he is talking about :) I was amazed at the involved process for the consomme, no wonder it tastes so much better than regular old stock!

We had dinner at the Colonnade (Indian food) and low and behold.....a whole roasted tandoori fish.....delicious! Of note, the lovely Chef who took us shopping with the Chef in Gaeta, Italy in 2010 was there...Jez (sp?). What an asset he is to Seabourn, always kind and friendly. We loved our outing with him on the Spirit where we bought tons of cookies and fresh cheeses from local merchants.

The food was really wonderful. I only had one bad dish. For lunch one day I had the linguine carbonara - a huge plate of sticky sauce and thick noodles. OTOH we had wonderful osso bucco in the Colonnade and fabulous steak in main dining room. And oh, that consomme...

I can't say enough about how we enjoyed the entertainment. "The band" yes that was their name, were incredibly talented. Two amazing guitartsts, pianist and sax player and the lead singer Wendy was great. All of them made a point of talking to us and thanking us (they really didn't need to but it was gracious of them) for coming to the club every night and dancing. The cruise director team were very personable too (Heidi, Dan and Tammy). There was also a singer onboard called Stephanie whom we loved too.

The larger ships are a little more impersonal than the sisters, but not by much. A few staff still called us by our name, we got invited to dine with the Captain and another senior officer, it felt like the old Seabourn. There were 193 club members on board and 250 "newbies."

The only negative I can think of is I didn't enjoy "rock the boat" as much as I usually do. The singing was absolutely wonderful but it wasn't as much of an "event" as I remember it doesn't include dinner, rather it's a 90 minute singing and dancing fest. One of my favorite memories is a whole rock the boat evening in Monte Carlo, docked up against downtown with fireworks going off from a local event. We had dinner out there on the deck that night and the staff cleared the decks in a jiffy and turned it into a dance floor. The area for dancing on the Quest, by contrast, is very small.

I'm more inclined to go back on the larger ships in the future but wouldn't rule out the sisters. Sometimes I did miss the intimacy of the triplets. But this cruise turned out to be one of those great cruises where everything came together; people, weather, food, ports.

My favorite moment on the ship? Leaving Dubrovnik, beautiful weather, beautiful sunset, champagne and caviar party, the band playing on the deck, good company at the bar- priceless......

Thank you for posting your thoughts on your experience on your Quest cruise. We have done many cruises on the small ships but have sailed about 70 days on the larger sisters. In March we will be returning to the pride. We love the larger ships but any Seabourn ship is a wonderful experience to us. Reading your comments about your experience on both the small and larger sisters has confirmed this for me.

thank you for that report of the "big" ship. We haven't as yet tried the big ones, but think our next cruise will probably be on one. I really hate the idea of not being on The Pride (our favourite) but know we will have to move on one day! I am sure that by the time I actually board, I will be just as excited as usual.

Thank you for posting your thoughts on your experience on your Quest cruise. We have done many cruises on the small ships but have sailed about 70 days on the larger sisters. In March we will be returning to the pride. We love the larger ships but any Seabourn ship is a wonderful experience to us. Reading your comments about your experience on both the small and larger sisters has confirmed this for me.
I am SO agreeing with Clarky and Seabournaddict. We have many days on the sisters and three long sailings on the big girls. I love them both but my heart is still with the Pride, also. That was Captain GA's ship and Marcel Jensen and many others I have such fond memories and experiences with. After two years we are sailing to India/Egypt in the spring on the Pride. I can't wait to get back. Both are good but each has its advantages. I think for us itinerary and price rule! And again, if it's Seabourn, what's not to like?

I agree with the above postings. We have now sailed twice with Seabourn; once on the legend and once on the Quest and are about to leave in 12 days again on the Quest. We found pros and cons with both but also realize that we fell in love with Seabourn sailing on one of the little sisters. I think for us it's itinerary driven but on the warmer itineraries the pool on the larger boats is a major consideration. The service on both boats is amazing but the club feel on the little sisters is great. Being recognized by name is also something that sets them apart but the verandas, pool and Seabourn square are an enticement on the bigger ships. I do applaud Seabourn for keeping such a familiar feel and layout between the two ships and we think we will still look forward to sailing on both while we still have the option.

I loved reading your post juicyjuju and read every word very closely as we are now about to embark on the Quest for 13 days and have never been on the big ships with all of our over 200 days on the Legend and Pride. Naturally the little ships are very close to our hearts but we are very intrigued with the new ones and have finally given in and will try a big sister. Some of our Seabourn friends are crazy about the new ships and won't go back to the little ones - and others are just the reverse. I have a feeling we will have a great time no matter what ship it is as long as its Seabourn. Can't wait for the crossing! :) (Bye the way, we often think of you and remember the great time we had with you on the Legend and the fabulous time we had in Rome - love to you and C.)

The triplets are what Seabourn is truly all about but time moves on and the big sisters are a very nice alternative. Interstingly when we recall the triplets it's the staff that comes to mind first and foremost. Captain GA, Marcel, Karl among many others. You don't always come off the large ships with the same relationships.

I fall into that group that while I still very much prefer the little sisters, the true Yachts of Seabourn, having done one large ship cruise( the Quest over Christmas/New Years) I have my own personal pros and cons.For us at this point which cruise we select depends primarily on itinerary. I will say that while we prefer port intensive cruises to those with a lot of sea days, IF I were to go on one with numerous sea days( such as the NZ one we are considering) the nice thing about the big ships is the Seabourn Square. If you have a day with inclement weather you have somewhere, other than your suite, to hang out.

I loved reading your post juicyjuju and read every word very closely as we are now about to embark on the Quest for 13 days and have never been on the big ships with all of our over 200 days on the Legend and Pride. Naturally the little ships are very close to our hearts but we are very intrigued with the new ones and have finally given in and will try a big sister. Some of our Seabourn friends are crazy about the new ships and won't go back to the little ones - and others are just the reverse. I have a feeling we will have a great time no matter what ship it is as long as its Seabourn. Can't wait for the crossing! :) (Bye the way, we often think of you and remember the great time we had with you on the Legend and the fabulous time we had in Rome - love to you and C.)

C and W, I wish our paths had crossed on the Quest we would have so enjoyed cruising with you! We fondly remember the Rome adventure and celebrating your birthday with GA.

We were on Seaboun for the first time on this cruise and thought the whole trip was marvellous.. It exceeded all our expectations and we will certainly be travelling with Seaboun again.

We particually enjoyed the entertainment all of whom were professional and a Maitre D who seemed to know every guest by name, Ho can you better that.

I hope that all of you who were staying on in venice for a few days finally got home safely

My wife and I got thrown off the same cruise once it arrived in Athens. Well maybe thrown off may be a little strong...the entire senior crew were at the bottom of the gangway to bid us adieu just to make sure we felt at least a little sad, which of course is an understatement. The Staff, food, entertainment and service on the Quest is awesome. I love that the entertainers are never 'off duty' in public places and mix and mingle freely to help ensure a great experience. They sing, dance, laugh and enjoy a beverage with their guests which does nothing but add to a great memory.

Yes indeed...there must always be something on the horizon, and Cruise Critic is the perfect vehicle to help us pass the time between now and then. I was musing myself today about what makes a great vacation. Most of us don't live day to day being waited on hand and foot, being treated like Royalty, where nothing is a problem, the food is spectacular, the entertainment world class, and you get to slip into amazing ports of call. Most of us in fact dream of living in such a world, and Seaborn, for our time on board at least, do their best IMO to make that dream a reality.

I'm less than a week off the ship, and am already in dire need of some more of that Royal treatment.

My wife and I got thrown off the same cruise once it arrived in Athens. Well maybe thrown off may be a little strong...the entire senior crew were at the bottom of the gangway to bid us adieu just to make sure we felt at least a little sad, which of course is an understatement.

We missed the officers at the gangway because we hustled off the ship as soon as we were cleared for disembarkation. We had an 11:30am flight out of Venice. It was pretty funny- they made us get on a shuttle, with all our luggage (we self disembarked with our one large suitcase each and hand luggage) at the bottom of the gangplank and literally took us 200 yards to the terminal - maybe you are not allowed to walk on the pier? Anyway we walked out the terminal 10 feet to the taxi rank and were at the Venice airport by 9am, despite lots of large cruise ships at the port. It was actually the fastest, smoothest disembarkation we've had.

What you may not know is that had your Cruise tried to come into Venice just one day later, it wouldn't have made it in. On That Friday eve, the last of our two nights in Venice while awaiting the arrival of the Quest on Saturday, we hade absolutely torrential rain. The next Morning, Saturday, all the streets were under about 8-10 inches of water until the tide went out around mid-day or so.

The Quest was scheduled to leave at 11:00 p.m. But was obviously in a hurry to get out. The posted last check in was at 4:00 for a 4:30 LB drill with no option to get off and tour the town of course. Unfortunately, several people were not on until about 9:00 and we left soon after. The reason became obvious when we learned that they completely closed the Port of Venice for the next couple of days.

They also closed our first port of call, Koper in Slovenia which is just around the corner for the same reason so our itinerary had to be changed. S one has to wonder what would have happened if the storms had been a day earlier, with people needing to get off in Venice and people like us needing to get on? I imagine Trieste would have been closed too, so what then?

I think I'll post this under a new thread to see if the folks have had such an experience and learn how they handle stuff like that when they close the ports of embarkation /disembarkation.

Tony

Tony, I 'm so sorry the weather turned for your cruise. We were worried about taking a cruise in the med on October 20th, very iffy, but we apparently got the last of the good weather. When we pulled into Venice on October 20th it was raining and cold. Travel is such a crapshoot!!!

We flew from Glasgow to Rome to embark on this cruise. As we were checking in at Glasgow airport the day before the cruise, there was a small fire on a plane on the runway. The airport was closed down for 2-3 hours. Our flight to London left late, we missed our connection to Rome (my best friend who was joining us on a cruise for the first time in her life was on that LHR- Rom flight). BA rerouted us to Frankfurt with a 50 min layover in Frankfurt (missed the connection to Rome). BA told us we needed to stay the night in Frankfurt. I refused and stood for an over an hour at the check in desk until some seats opened up at the last minute on Lufthansa on the last flight of the night to Rome. We finally to our hotel at 2 am in the morning, missing our reservation at the celebrated restaurant I was looking forward to eating at. Nonetheless we made it to the ship! What's the moral of the story? Better luck going to the med in July or August - except - we were on Silversea in August 2003 when the horrible heat wave in Europe killed hundreds.....we got off the ship in Taormina and it was 115 degrees, we turned around and got right back on the ship. The ship was turning in the harbour and we ordered two margaritas and some spicy guacamole and chips and sat on the balcony (had to make lemonade out of lemons). As we all know, each cruise is so different and it's a combination of truly intangibles that make or break any cruise. I LOVED this last cruise on the Odyssey but although we lucked out and had good weather, it was truly down to my memories of all the great people, both staff and passengers.

Archived