Upsell for party of 4 question

billfromtulsa

We have booked an FF cabin for 4 on the Veendam for January. I have never had 4 in a cabin before. If I get offered an upsell, will it be $xxx per person, with all 4 having to pay, or just the first two passengers? I have upsold from a BC to an SA, but just had two people that time.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Bill

I do not know the answer to your question. So, why am I posting, you ask yourself?

To say that the chances of a party of four being offered an ungrade or an upsell are remote, at best. There are not a great many cabins for four in the first place, and it is unlikely that there will be one to be upsold to.

Sorry, but I don't want you to get your hopes up.

I do not know the answer to your question. So, why am I posting, you ask yourself?

To say that the chances of a party of four being offered an ungrade or an upsell are remote, at best. There are not a great many cabins for four in the first place, and it is unlikely that there will be one to be upsold to.

Sorry, but I don't want you to get your hopes up.

Yes, I figure it is an outside shot. Actually, we are on the Veendam with you on Jan 10. There are still 13 S suites open, which will all hold 4. Outside shot at best, but hoping anyway.

See you in January!

Bill

We have seen prices drop after final payment and requested to pay more ( for example $100 pp to move from outside to verandah).

We had 3 or 4 in the cabin and only paid the increase for the first and second.

This makes sense because in all our HAL cruises 3rd and 4th price was the same whether in inside, outside, or verandah. The increase in price for a better cabin was only for the first and second.

I agree with Ruth that your chances of them calling you with an offer are not as good because not many cabins hold 3 and 4.

OP makes a good point about the "S" cabins holding four people and he says there are still 13 available which is a huge number considering there are only 28...... almost half are not sold.

There will be big markdowns and/or upsell offers.

I feel for the people who paid full price for those suites that have been sold. They pay the big dollars and there will be a large number of those suites being occupied by guests who pay a fraction. (Yes, I get it...... and I understand about every seat in an airplane being different cost etc etc etc)

The cruise lines used to be able to do this manipulating of cabins behind closed doors in the past but now we all know about it.

Good luck, OP.

You might get lucky.

OP makes a good point about the "S" cabins holding four people and he says there are still 13 available which is a huge number considering there are only 28...... almost half are not sold.

There will be big markdowns and/or upsell offers.

I feel for the people who paid full price for those suites that have been sold. They pay the big dollars and there will be a large number of those suites being occupied by guests who pay a fraction. (Yes, I get it...... and I understand about every seat in an airplane being different cost etc etc etc)

The cruise lines used to be able to do this manipulating of cabins behind closed doors in the past but now we all know about it.

Good luck, OP.

You might get lucky.

Thanks, Sail7Seas. Two years ago we scored an SA on the same ship in the same kind of situation, except there were just two of us. With 4, you can bet we will jump on the upsell if it comes along and is anywhere near reasonable. This is a 20 day cruise, so the extra space would be nice.

Bill

Sort of makes me feel like a fool that we book those Suites, pay those prices time and again and see this happen over and over.

We should smarten up and not book them until after final payment date and get the low prices.

If DH were retired, that is just what we would do. We sail enough times a year, we'd find cruises that suited us, I am sure.

Sort of makes me feel like a fool that we book those Suites, pay those prices time and again and see this happen over and over.

We should smarten up and not book them until after final payment date and get the low prices.

If DH were retired, that is just what we would do. We sail enough times a year, we'd find cruises that suited us, I am sure.

If it makes you feel any better Judy, that strategy wouldn't have worked on my Prinsendam sailing next year. The Deluxe Verandas have been sold out for several months as well as the PH;) Very few SY or SS cabins left either - so yes, some people can gamble and win by booking last minute but they can also lose out on what they really want:) There are pros and cons to both.:D

If it makes you feel any better Judy, that strategy wouldn't have worked on my Prinsendam sailing next year. The Deluxe Verandas have been sold out for several months as well as the PH;) Very few SY or SS cabins left either - so yes, some people can gamble and win by booking last minute but they can also lose out on what they really want:) There are pros and cons to both.:D

Same thing (sort of) for my February cruise. The balconies have been gone for a while. No price drops. My Nov cruise lot of price drops, most after final. Next year I'd like to plan a cruise between the ones I have booked. I'll be having surgery at some point so it's going to be last minute. Usually I plan way ahead. Hopefully I'll get deal.

And, Judy, that strategy wouldn't have worked on this cruise, either, except for two major changes at HAL.

About a year ago this cruise was totally sold out, with a waiting list. You see, it was expected that this was going to be the last HAL cruise with Antartica on the itinerary that wasn't a Grand Voyage.

Then, an additional cruise was added, so some people changed to the next cruise to be on the "last one".

Next, cruises that included Antarctica were scheduled for '14! Better yet, those cruises are on the Zaandam, so all the problems with the Veendam can be avoided.

A most unexpected situation that there is still availability, especially suite availability, at this late date.

And, Judy, that strategy wouldn't have worked on this cruise, either, except for two major changes at HAL.

About a year ago this cruise was totally sold out, with a waiting list. You see, it was expected that this was going to be the last HAL cruise with Antartica on the itinerary that wasn't a Grand Voyage.

Then, an additional cruise was added, so some people changed to the next cruise to be on the "last one".

Next, cruises that included Antarctica were scheduled for '14! Better yet, those cruises are on the Zaandam, so all the problems with the Veendam can be avoided.

A most unexpected situation that there is still availability, especially suite availability, at this late date.

Very true, Ruth, and well put. I still don't have a good answer for how many of the 4 would have to pay the upsell. Apparently it doesn't happen often enough for many people to have actual experience with it. I am not hanging my hat on getting an upsell, but it would certainly be nice if it happened. See you on board.

Bill

I agree the strategy would not work for a specific sailing, firm choice of ship and date but for a wide flexibility on date, ship and Caribbean itinerary, it works if whichever islands they are visiting is acceptable.

If DH was retired, we'd book whichever ship had a vacancy on a date within fairly wide range. We've been to all those islands so many times it matters little to us where the ship is as long as the sun is shining. The ship is our destination.

I agree the strategy would not work for a specific sailing, firm choice of ship and date but for a wide flexibility on date, ship and Caribbean itinerary, it works if whichever islands they are visiting is acceptable.

If DH was retired, we'd book whichever ship had a vacancy on a date within fairly wide range. We've been to all those islands so many times it matters little to us where the ship is as long as the sun is shining. The ship is our destination.

Very true, if you don't have to worry about vacation times and you can secure reasonable air - just watching can really pay off:)

Normally we are booked one year in advance at least - but again, we have a specific itinerary in mind and air is usually at it's best (if we can get FF miles) early in the game:D

Very true, Ruth, and well put. I still don't have a good answer for how many of the 4 would have to pay the upsell. Apparently it doesn't happen often enough for many people to have actual experience with it. I am not hanging my hat on getting an upsell, but it would certainly be nice if it happened. See you on board.

Bill

My understanding is that the price of the 3rd and 4th passenger is the same regardless of the cabin category. So, if offered an upsell, I think you are only looking at paying more for the first two passengers.

Bill- maybe you could have your TA call a few weeks before we leave ( and before cabins should be assigned) and see if there are upsells available.

Do you have any idea of how many quads there really are at your level and above?

Hoping for a good cabin for you all.

See you onboard. ~TC

Bill- maybe you could have your TA call a few weeks before we leave ( and before cabins should be assigned) and see if there are upsells available.

Do you have any idea of how many quads there really are at your level and above?

Hoping for a good cabin for you all.

See you onboard. ~TC

There are 13 S suites what will hold 4, and nothing else. We booked direct, so will check with HAL closer to sailing.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Archived