Camera Question

NYGirl1002

It's safe. As the previous poster wrote, in the "old" film days. there was some concern that putting a camera through the scanner would cause the film to fog. Thus, ruining the film and any pictures already on it.

DSLRs are perfectly safe to put through scanners since there is no film used in them.

Not sure if your stopping at Port Canaveral but whatever you do don't try and take pictures of the ship when returning to it. I have no idea why but after we passed thru the customs building (returning from the beach) I decided to take some pictures of the Gem. Within a few seconds I had scurity yelling at me NO pictures.

Not sure if your stopping at Port Canaveral but whatever you do don't try and take pictures of the ship when returning to it. I have no idea why but after we passed thru the customs building (returning from the beach) I decided to take some pictures of the Gem. Within a few seconds I had scurity yelling at me NO pictures.

It's for security reasons. We were told this by our shuttle driver before we entered LA port. The shuttle driver told us they have been known to confiscate cameras. Although the funny part was, there were no signs in the building that said this, that I could find.

It's for security reasons. We were told this by our shuttle driver before we entered LA port. The shuttle driver told us they have been known to confiscate cameras. Although the funny part was, there were no signs in the building that said this, that I could find.

I get it.....but security? What are they protecting? They were refueling the ship and bringing on provisions which was actually interesting to watch. We got back about 1pm and for the next 4 hours I watched from the pool deck them bring in over 30 tractor trailers, each one being sniffed by dogs and they each pallet sniffed also before a large OK decal was placed on them.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP's post

I get it.....but security? What are they protecting? They were refueling the ship and bringing on provisions which was actually interesting to watch. We got back about 1pm and for the next 4 hours I watched from the pool deck them bring in over 30 tractor trailers, each one being sniffed by dogs and they each pallet sniffed also before a large OK decal was placed on them.

:confused: Yeah I know, I thought the same thing waiting to board in LA. Sitting in this huge warehouse type room that had security at the door, a whole crap load of chairs, some temporary ropes to separate lines and counter with check in people standing at it. :D

I just got a new camera and I'm taking it on my cruise. Do you guys allow your camera to go through the scan ? Now that I spent a lot on a camera I don't want to ruin it on my first cruise with it.

TIA

No problem at all with the scans but I'd be careful if you bring it to the beach, sand and salt air can cause problems. Also, if you have a laptop I would bring it to back up your photos each day. It's rare for a memory card to go bad but it can happen.

I brought my DSLR on my last cruise but always left it on the ship and used my Olympus tough camera at the beach. It's a lot easier to carry around and I wouldn't care as much if it was lost or stolen.

I just got a new camera and I'm taking it on my cruise. Do you guys allow your camera to go through the scan ? Now that I spent a lot on a camera I don't want to ruin it on my first cruise with it.

TIA

There were never problems with the cameras going through the scans, the issue was with the film. With digital cameras it is not an issue. Don't worry at all.

I wasn't planning on taking the camera off the ship in Nassau and GSC. However I will take pictures on the ship with her.

I am also bringing my point and shoot and my underwater camera with me.

I really wanted to take the DSLR to Disney when we are in Port Canaveral to take some pictures of the Magic Kingdom. We don't do roller coasters or anything like that.

I always wondered why we couldn't take pictures while waiting to board also. I have a fabulous picture of my late husband taken while waiting to board our Carnival cruise. I have an 8 x 10 of it on my dresser.

Now when we cruised on Disney in May we took lots of pictures in the terminal and nobody said anything. In fact the cast members posed with my daughter.

There is really no good reason to bring a huge camera on a cruise.

It's pretty much a hassle and waste of time...

No camera is huge anymore. Even DSLR's are pretty lightweight. The difference in picture quality can be stunning. You can also get picture of things that you could never get with a point and shoot.

IMG_3417-vi.jpg

IMG_2660-vi.jpg?1352430637

IMG_3918-vi.jpg

No camera is huge anymore. Even DSLR's are pretty lightweight. The difference in picture quality can be stunning. You can also get picture of things that you could never get with a point and shoot.

sdmike-I swear that I took the same island picture on our trip to Alaska. Every good.

It is a choice you have to make when planning your trip. I take my DSLR when I know that I will want to take a lot of pictures. Like a trip to Alaska. I do not take it when I have a trip where carting the camera and charger around airports etc. just makes it too much for me.

I wasn't planning on taking the camera off the ship in Nassau and GSC. However I will take pictures on the ship with her.

I am also bringing my point and shoot and my underwater camera with me.

I really wanted to take the DSLR to Disney when we are in Port Canaveral to take some pictures of the Magic Kingdom. We don't do roller coasters or anything like that.

I always wondered why we couldn't take pictures while waiting to board also. I have a fabulous picture of my late husband taken while waiting to board our Carnival cruise. I have an 8 x 10 of it on my dresser.

Now when we cruised on Disney in May we took lots of pictures in the terminal and nobody said anything. In fact the cast members posed with my daughter.

Unless you are going to the beach and nowhere else don't leave your camera on the ship. There is so much that you can do with it that your others can't. I haul my DSLR everywhere and have yet to regret having it with me. It is a must have at Disney you can get some wonderful pictures there. Same thing on the islands. It is almost a must have.

There is really no good reason to bring a huge camera on a cruise.

It's pretty much a hassle and waste of time...

You are entitled to your opinion, but IMO you are flat out wrong. There is no better time to have your best camera with you. It is not a hassle and certainly not a waste of time.

IMG_3417-vi.jpg

IMG_2660-vi.jpg?1352430637

IMG_3918-vi.jpg

I have almost the identical picture of the lighthouse sailing out of Skagway. great shots.

5857879357_668fb6cc77_z.jpg

That right there is what they're protecting!

If one wanted to blow up a ship, knowing where the fuel access points are would be helpful. Since most acts of terrorism are plotted, no photos in the terminal can help reduce the ease of documenting that info.

Considering you can find most of that info out in a quick google search......If I try hard enough I bet I could find the plans of the ship;):D

Archived