Pride of America Ports

ladymadonna

We were on the POA In Sept. I highly recommend renting a car in any ports you do not have a specific excursion planned. And get a good guidebook. There really is a lot to see and do in Hawaii and a car gives you freedom and flexibility.

We did POA in Feburary. Rented car in most ports. In Hilo, we rented car and took shuttle to airport, checked in but picked up car after ride with Blue Hawaiian. They are walking distance from car rental. Booked direct, same vendor cruise ships use, less expensive. Drove to VNP after ride.

In Kauai, we booked a plane ride with Wings Over Kaui, beautiful scenery, small family run business.

We were on the POA in Sept. as well. Kauai was our favorite island. We decided to do the "Wings Over Kauai" airplane ride there rather than the helicopter and couldn't have been happier with them.

I agree renting cars is the way to go with the exception of Waikiki which is a bit nerve wracking as the traffic is horrendous. We did drive from Waikiki to Kualoa Ranch and that was one of my favorite places (and also took us away from the traffic).

In Maui I really enjoyed touring the lavendar farm in the Upcountry and we found great deals on t-shirts and chocolate macadamia nuts to take home to friends and family at Costco of all places. :)

In Hilo we drove to Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls and Volcanoes National Park.

Kona was a shopping day - no need for a car if you want to do that as it is right where they tender you in.

It is a very busy trip without even one sea day to recoup - so enjoy but remember to relax as well. ;)

I agree with the Wings over Kauai. Great company...awesome views. They pick you up just outside of port after a free shuttle ride to a mall. Beach right outside mall is nice.

Kona has a bus for $5 to go to a beach about 10 mins. away. Good snorkeling there.

In Hilo, car rental was easy and the best way to go. Volcano national park and the 2 falls mentioned.

In maui, the road to Hana is a great(but long) day. I forget the coompany that took us, but small vans so can go all the way around. I am sure someone will remember the name.

I agree with the Wings over Kauai. Great company...awesome views. They pick you up just outside of port after a free shuttle ride to a mall. Beach right outside mall is nice.

Kona has a bus for $5 to go to a beach about 10 mins. away. Good snorkeling there.

In Hilo, car rental was easy and the best way to go. Volcano national park and the 2 falls mentioned.

In maui, the road to Hana is a great(but long) day. I forget the coompany that took us, but small vans so can go all the way around. I am sure someone will remember the name.

The company was Valley Isle Excursions.

Also do the Sun Rise on Haleakalā in Maui. But bring warm clothes.

This is what we just did last week:

Thursday: Arrive evening (Rent car)

Friday: North Shore Loop

Saturday: Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona reserved for this am) and board ship

Sunday: Haleakala and Old Lahaina Luau (Rent car) - HAVE SHIP TAKE YOU TO HALEAKALA - DH DID NOT ENJOY THE DRIVE

Monday: Road to Hana - Ship's tour (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - AMAZING DAY)

Tuesday: Volcano National Park (Rent car) - YOU SEE MORE ON YOUR OWN

Wednesday: Mike Deep Sea Fishing (Ship's Tour) and Deb Historic Kona Tour (Ship's

Tour) - TAKE SEA SICK MEDICINE FOR THE FISHING - DH GOT WOOZY BUT LOVED IT.

Thursday: Drive to Waimea Canyon (Rent car) - AMAZING VIEW.

Friday: Beach/Shopping (No car)

Saturday: What we didn't see at Pearl Harbor.

Sunday: Diamond Head. Long and tiring. Be sure to wear good shoes.

Our two most memorable--

Hilo--Helicopter flight over the volcano and falls. Don't remember the company, but there are several.

Honolulu--Introduction to Scuba with Rainbow scuba. Two dives from a boat, and since we were the only beginners we had an instructor for the two of us. Fantastic for $100 ea.

Ok we just got off the ship this past week.

I would rent a car almost everywhere. I do not think ship excursions are at all necessary on this cruise (or any cruise really).

In Maui we drove first to Iao Valley state park. This is a lovely and gentle hiking area and a very short drive. Then we drove across to Lahaina, found a beach, and eventually ended up at the Old Lahaina Luau, which I highly recommend.

Second day Maui we drove the Hana highway. Get an early start. Don't be scared. Wonderful.

Hilo: We drove to Volcanoes National Park. Excellent. I believe there was a good zipline option near Hilo as well but I cannot remember the name of it.

Kona: I don't know what to tell you here. Least interesting port in my opinion but I am sure I missed something. Nice little town with a good market near the tender drop-off. Maybe you don't need a car for this one?

Kaua'i: The nicest island in my opinion. We started day one with a helicopter ride with Blue Hawaiian. Possibly the best experience of my life. I am confident this is the best island to do a helicopter tour with the Canyon and the Na'Pali coast. Book them in advance online for a nice discount.

We spent the rest of Kaua'i day one and also day two driving around to different beaches and we also drove up to see the Canyon (but just made it to the first viewing area). I can recommend Anini beach, Hanalei beach (with the pier), and Poipu beach park.

I hope that is helpful. We were very happy with our choices and had a great time. It didn't hurt that the weather was basically perfect every day.

This is what we just did last week:

Sunday: Haleakala and Old Lahaina Luau (Rent car) - HAVE SHIP TAKE YOU TO HALEAKALA - DH DID NOT ENJOY THE DRIVE

May I ask why he didn't like the drive? We were going to do this when we were on Maui this past summer but weren't able to.:(

What is the name of the beach?

I havent been on the PoA but I have been to Maui and I would tell you that if you dont do Haleakala or the Road to Hana you would be missing out on two amazing experiences.

If you do go up Haleakala for the Sunrise, bring warm clothing and even if you can, steal a blanket from your room. Its freezing. Gets to about 40.

Bring comfy shoes for Hana as the walking in the park at the end to the waterfalls is a rough terrain.

Enjoy!

May I ask why he didn't like the drive? We were going to do this when we were on Maui this past summer but weren't able to.:(

The road is 37 miles long and it is alot of turns and switchbacks when you are going up the volcano and very few guard rails. Not fun.

The road is 37 miles long and it is alot of turns and switchbacks when you are going up the volcano and very few guard rails. Not fun.

We did the POA 3 years ago & loved it, 6 of us shared the costs of renting our own minivan @ every port stops - used standalone GPS (easily done today with data-enabled Google NAV app on smartphone, never worried about being lost) to plot our stops - we did the sunset drive up to 10,000 feet and recommend it (dress warmly) - up the roads with daylight but coming back down, it was dark so just take it easy, drive slow with van in 2nd/lower gear & let the speeding ones pass us at various cutoff/turnoff along the road. Details in the review linked in my signature along with photos (webshot will be unavailable after 12/1/2012 - porting them to a different hosted server/site soon)

Check out the Hawaii port/forum - tons of tips, how-to's and advice, and reviews with options. I posted a short video clip of the drive on Road To Hana, giving a behind-the-wheels of the look & feel in driving RTH, average speed of 10 MPH - for real, go slow & easy, often a one lane, alternate passing - but well worth it. Two drivers taking turn would make it much easier - allow 7 to 8 hours to fully appreciate it and stops for photo.

My DH and I are leaving in a few weeks for our trip on the POA. So excited!

We are planning to take the tubing excursion (through the ship) on the first day in Kauai then the helicopter the 2nd day.

Im so glad to read that someone loved the ship's Road to Hana excursion. We have that booked for the 2nd day in Maui, since we are going to the Old Lahaina Luau the first night (and need our own car for that day).

For those of you who just got back from the POA, do you have any pictures of the menus from the ship? Also did you eat in any of the specialty restaurants?

Can anyone recommend the best things to do and see at each port. We want to zip line. Definitely want a helecopter ride(which island is best) and would love to snorkel and visit the best beaches..

I would recommend waiting until Kauai for the helicopter ride. It's an amazing spot for that - zip lining on Oahu or Maui and in my opinion, the best beach is Kaanapali on Maui - but if you like people watching, you can't beat Waikiki on Oahu.

I guess it's hard to make generic recommendations without knowing how active you like to be on vacation - but my favorite EVER thing we've ever done on Maui is the Maui Downhill sunrise tour - they'll pick you up at the ship around 3am - take you for a continental breakfast and to fit you with your bike, then to the top of Haleakela for sunrise. You'll then cycle all the way down the mountain to the beach with a lunch stop along the way - it was fabulous - all kinds of photo stops - we're hoping to do it again next year now that the kids are all finally old enough (you have to be 12). The road to Hana is also a great way to spend a day, but if you do both of those, you won't have time for a beach - and you can't beat Kaanapali! If you can be there around sunset over near black rock, you'll get to see them light the torches and cliff dive.

On Oahu, we did a circle island tour (self driven) including the Dole Plantation, a great amount of time on the North Shore, Hanamua Bay (excellent snorkelling) and a hike up Diamond Head - but if you've never been to the Punchbowl or Pearl Harbor, you should make time to do those. The Polynesian Cultural Center is also worth a visit - but since the cruise starts and ends there you could have extra time on that island if you planned it well.

Kayaking on the Napili coast in Kauai is fun, the lighthouse is a great place for a picnic, but my favorite ever thing to do in Kauai was the helicopter tour. You can't get to most of the gorgeous places on Kauai by car, so a helicopter is the best way to see the island.

Lanai is another great stop - you would have to take a boat over from Lahaina (Maui) - but if you like snorkeling and spending time at the beach, there are several great options for tours and depending on the time of the year, you might see whales - we saw a pod of spinner dolphins (there had to be close to 100 of them) last time we went over there - they were sleeping and it was SO cool - they swim, kind of bobbing up and down, while they sleep - it was an amazing sight!

If you like hiking, my two favorite spots are the Big Island (Volcanos Natl Park) and the Iao Needle in Maui.

One last tip - if you have time to hit the flea market at the Aloha Bowl (only on Saturday and I think Wednesday), you'll get some fantastic Hawaiian trinkets at fabulous prices - also great food - mostly local made - it's worth the trip. That's where we usually do most of our shopping when we go to the islands.

You have great suggestions here so far, so I won't repeat those.

We have cruised on POA and we have stayed on the islands several times. While on POA, we rented a car in each port (This was not our first trip to Hawaii - but driving is easy on all of the islands except Oahu.)

It sounds like you are interested in some adventure activities. During one of our land trips, we did two flights on small planes - Wing Over Kauai on Kauai and Big Island Air on the Big Island of Hawaii. Both were excellent experiences. At the time, the volcano was not flowing into the sea, so the only way to see the lava was from the air. I won't fly on helicopters, but was fine on the small planes. These also turned out to be cheaper options, so that was good.

Enjoy your trip! Hawaii is gorgeous!

Archived