Booking the next cruise while on board

bluewater63

Are there advantages/disadvantages to booking your next cruise while you are on a cruise?

We booked a cruise while on the Equinox in the Med in Oct & received a room credit & a 3 cat upgrade. We only had to put down $200.US

Unfortunately, those 3 category "upgrades" offered as incentives to book onboard are only good for upgrading within the same category (inside to inside, outside to outside, or balcony to balcony).

They cannot be used to upgrade across categories, or to upgrade suites at all.

Otherwise, most of us would be lining up to book a sky suite, wanting to upgrade to a penthouse suite at the sky suite price. :D

We heard that they no longer even let you upgrade a C3 or C2 to a C1 if you book on board, as they previously allowed.

I booked the 17 night transpacific for $4,500 for two online while onboard. Went to future cruise consultant to hopefully claim my on board credit. No way. Their price was $5,200 with$300 obc. Counting the obc, still $300 more. They can't offer the internet prices onboard, so be sure to check those too.

Interesting about the pricing. I still haven't figured out what cabin price they used as the basis for mine for october 2013. Wonder if anyone can tell me?

I'm booked in a C2 on the Summit (specific sailing so i got 2 cat upgrade). Does that mean they used the 1A price for a C2? I was trying to look up the historical prices (on that site which has to remain nameless but alerts you and you can save money lol) and didnt' see an exact price match on there for my cruise fare.

The upgrades are only available in the same category. Inside, OV, balcony and CC. Ie in the balcony cat, I have done 2A to 1A (S class has more levels in each category than M Class). If you have a C2 you paid for a C3. The base fares from my TA and the FCC rep I find different than on X's site when you do a dummy booking because they split out the Port charges, taxes etc differently which might be why you are having difficulty reconciling the prices. Sounds convoluted, sorry, hard to explain:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Celebrity no longer upgrades C3 to C1, they only upgrade you to a C2. If you book in aqua or a suite there is no upgrade.

You have 60 days after you book the trip to move your reservation to a travel agent of your choice. Why do this? Because some of the travel agencies give their own On Board Credits which you get in addition to anything Celebrity gives you. Don't let this opportunity slip by...

Prices can fluctuate constantly, so if you are quoted a higher price on board the ship it's because the price is up. They do not charge more for booking on board a ship; they see the same prices that are available online.

I book my cruises all the time on board both RCCL and Celebrity. You can book "across" the cruise lines, too: I will be booking a Celebrity cruise on our RCCL cruise next month, for instance.

What I do is check the price and cabin availability before I leave home, and sometimes in the internet cafe just before I go see the future cruise consultant. I find it goes much faster if I already have my cabin picked out.

The upgrade option: you pay for the lower category and the actual cabin you book is the higher category. It is also my understanding that balconies are not included.

By the way, Celebrity's onboard credit is more generous for the longer cruises, too.

You have 60 days after you book the trip to move your reservation to a travel agent of your choice. Why do this? Because some of the travel agencies give their own On Board Credits which you get in addition to anything Celebrity gives you. Don't let this opportunity slip by...

You can have it go directly to your agent while you're booking also. That way you don't have to worry about remembering to do it. By the time we got home we had our confirmation email waiting for us showing the agent's OBC. :)

Archived