Christmas Stockings for Crew

boxztrs

The problem is, buying calling cards in the US or Canada might not work anywhere else but the US or Canada. They can buy international calling cards on board cheaper and that will work where they are.

They are not starving and don't need food. They have plenty. You also don't know what their religious or just plain health issues are. You don't want to give chocolate to a diabetic, for example. Not everyone likes chocolate or peanuts or your idea of snack food. They will smile and look appreciative, it doesn't mean they want it. That's their job. Can you imagine if they refused a gift and the giver got hurt feelings and then complained? So yes, they will appear grateful but what they really want is money.

It comes down to your boss giving you a $100 bonus or a bag of pretzels.

Well said!!

Cash is king! Then they can buy whatever they want/need.

I hated when my employer gave me a pin for each anniversary I was there. Give a cash bonus. If I want/need a pin, I'll buy it myself.

Rank and file employees (and perhaps any employees) are there because they need the income not trinkets.

I like to give religous tracts in lieu of money tips and gifts. Always preface the giving by telling them, "This is more valuable than money." Especially during the Xmas time, many of the crew will be wanting to know what it's all about. Considering the pamphlets can be bought for less than $0.01 each online, it's a win-win situation for everyone.:)

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but DON'T BE THAT GUY. This comes from someone who worked in food service for almost 15 years.

I don't see why anyone would do this. It fails on a level of basic salesmanship. It takes people who might have listened to you and makes them angry and hurt.

Ironically, my cousin, who is a bartender, just got one of those fake $20 bill tracts instead of a tip, and she posted a picture of it along with her colorful and profane comments on her Facebook, and several other food service workers and their friends and relatives commented too, with 100% of the comments being negative.

Right or wrong, overtly religious people already have a reputation for being difficult to wait on and lousy tippers. Don't take my word for it, Google it if you don't believe me.

Do you go to the same restaurants more than once after you leave a tract instead of a tip? Are you a regular anywere?

I can almost guarantee you that many or all of the following are true:

The staff hates you.

They have a name for you that they use among themselves. And it's not a nice one.

They argue over who has to wait on you.

There's a decent chance that people spit in your food. Not always, probably not even often, but I'd bet it has happened more than once.

I have no problem with people of any religion, and I'm not criticizing your choice to share the Gospel. Leave a tract if you want. In my experience pretty much all of them get passed around, made fun of, comments are made about you, and then they are thrown away, but if it's important to you to share your message, have at it. But leave it with an appropriate tip. If you're not going to tip, don't leave anything. And consider my advice about not going back to the same place twice, for the reasons stated above.

We will be on the Emerald during Christmas, and want to put together stockings for our cabin stewards and waiters. Any good ideas on what you would put in the stockings?

Thanks.

Remember that the crew and staff have limited room to store items, money would probably be the best. Just think if 1/4 of passengers in December gave a crew member a gift(non cash) what would they do with it? Just my thoughts. Although very nice of you to think of a stocking gift, I think cash is always appreciated in most cultures.

Nothing like being a downer, you all. You don't know how every person that works on a cruise ship feels or what might put a smile on their face. A random act of kindness doesn't have to be cash. The people who want to do this kind of thing are going to give the worker their normal gratuities and likely more. They are generous people. They want to do something nice and asked for some ideas. Kindness comes in all kinds of ways and I would never tell people not to bother. I see enough people who treat the staff like they're servants and less than human. If someone wants to do something nice I applaud them. I don't often see people reject kindness.

What a lovely way to look at it. :)

Why not a card expressing your gratituded and wishing them a wonderful week/ holiday and thank them for their hard work. Then enclose some cash telling them to buy something special for themselves. That shoes that you thought about them but didn't get too personal.

Archived