Christmas Stockings for Crew

boxztrs

Most of the wait staff/room stewards I have had the past few years have been Buddhists and don't celebrate Christmas.

I don't think phone cards are as relevant as they used to be. There used to be a ton of phone booths at each port and you used to see people (crew) waiting to use the phones. Now, a lot of the staff use Skype (or equivalent) or international cell phones.

I would suggest cash. Everyone likes it :)

I generally try to give cash, but I also give them something from Minnesota. I had a friend who made a cute snowman that lit up. It was small and she could hang it on the wall. (I had a poster putty clip- they are small and hold up stuff.) My room steward loved it! She thanked us, asked about it and a few of the people who worked with her on the floor told us they thought it was really cute. I just picked something I liked, that was smal- didn't take up much space and it was a hit. (Yes, the snowman had an led light in it that you could turn on & off- those things that you see in a craft store.)

We generally put in some cash, some candy, and generally something like a small lego set or something similar. I haven't necessarily worried about whether they celebrate christmas or not, and have found that in general the cabin stewards we've had have been pretty touched that we left them a stocking. I know one year the guy was just about in tears over the lego set, he was going to bring them home to his kid who he thought would absolutely love them.

A stocking or a card with some cash in it is appropriate. Almost anything else, even though they may express gratitude, will be thrown out be it phone cards, souvenirs from your area or whatever, they just don't have room for it in their cabins or in their suitcase when their contract is up.

It's the thought that counts and I'm sure they'll be happy that you thought to do something nice for them. You never know what will touch someone. I know everyone says money, but I'm sure you intend to tip them appropriately. Some little trinket and candy might make them smile and that's worth a lot. Yep, maybe they won't keep it forever, but maybe it will brighten their day or their holidays. I'd just have some fun with it and give it with good will. It's very thoughtful of you to want to do that.

That's such a great idea! I definitely agree with money and maybe a card to show your appreciation. A calling card is a good idea but there are machines in crew areas for them to buy calling cards as well. These cards allow them to call home from their cabin so it's convenient than having to go out to use phones in ports. The extra cash would definitely allow them to buy more calling cards though, which would be nice!

I think maybe some sort of snack would be a good idea too. Some crew members work long hours and are probably starving after their shift so having some snacks in their room might fill that void.

That's such a great idea! I definitely agree with money and maybe a card to show your appreciation. A calling card is a good idea but there are machines in crew areas for them to buy calling cards as well. These cards allow them to call home from their cabin so it's convenient than having to go out to use phones in ports. The extra cash would definitely allow them to buy more calling cards though, which would be nice!

I think maybe some sort of snack would be a good idea too. Some crew members work long hours and are probably starving after their shift so having some snacks in their room might fill that void.

The problem is, buying calling cards in the US or Canada might not work anywhere else but the US or Canada. They can buy international calling cards on board cheaper and that will work where they are.

They are not starving and don't need food. They have plenty. You also don't know what their religious or just plain health issues are. You don't want to give chocolate to a diabetic, for example. Not everyone likes chocolate or peanuts or your idea of snack food. They will smile and look appreciative, it doesn't mean they want it. That's their job. Can you imagine if they refused a gift and the giver got hurt feelings and then complained? So yes, they will appear grateful but what they really want is money.

It comes down to your boss giving you a $100 bonus or a bag of pretzels.

The problem is, buying calling cards in the US or Canada might not work anywhere else but the US or Canada. They can buy international calling cards on board cheaper and that will work where they are.

They are not starving and don't need food. They have plenty. You also don't know what their religious or just plain health issues are. You don't want to give chocolate to a diabetic, for example. Not everyone likes chocolate or peanuts or your idea of snack food. They will smile and look appreciative, it doesn't mean they want it. That's their job. Can you imagine if they refused a gift and the giver got hurt feelings and then complained? So yes, they will appear grateful but what they really want is money.

That's exactly what I was telling the OP about giving calling cards - that crew members are able to buy them on the ship and that they work in their cabins so that's why giving them money would be a good idea! That way they can buy more calling cards. If you are referring to when I said "card" in the beginning, that is meant as a thank you card.

I never said candy or anything in particular. I just suggested the idea of giving a snack item like other people are. There are times when certain crew members work late that sometimes there isn't food left in crew mess. This isn't the same on all ships but there are times when that is the case. I'm just simply encouraging the idea of giving a gift and money. :)

Anyway, boxztrs - I think giving them something a little extra along is great!

That's exactly what I was telling the OP about giving calling cards - that crew members are able to buy them on the ship and that they work in their cabins so that's why giving them money would be a good idea! That way they can buy more calling cards. If you are referring to when I said "card" in the beginning, that is meant as a thank you card.

I realize you meant that. I was explaining for others who might not realize that info about the calling cards. I never use them and wouldn't have given it a thought before my brother bought some to call the Philippines.

A stocking or a card with some cash in it is appropriate. Almost anything else, even though they may express gratitude, will be thrown out be it phone cards, souvenirs from your area or whatever, they just don't have room for it in their cabins or in their suitcase when their contract is up.

I was going to suggest a trash bag so that they will have something to put the stocking in once it gats back to their cabin.

I was going to suggest a trash bag so that they will have something to put the stocking in once it gats back to their cabin.

I just laughed out loud!! Perfect reply. To the OP: Please just extend a warm thank you with some cash inhand. Cash is king to these hard working people. They don't need or want treats.

I like to give religous tracts in lieu of money tips and gifts. Always preface the giving by telling them, "This is more valuable than money." Especially during the Xmas time, many of the crew will be wanting to know what it's all about. Considering the pamphlets can be bought for less than $0.01 each online, it's a win-win situation for everyone.:)

I like to give religous tracts in lieu of money tips and gifts. Always preface the giving by telling them, "This is more valuable than money." Especially during the Xmas time, many of the crew will be wanting to know what it's all about. Considering the pamphlets can be bought for less than $0.01 each online, it's a win-win situation for everyone.:)

I am willing to go out on a limb and say the staff must really be thrilled to see you coming. Giving them a religous tract that costs less than one penny in lieu of money??

Nice idea Susan, but please keep in mind that a lot of the crew are not christian and may be offended. Although I'm sure they would never let you know that.

Nothing like being a downer, you all. You don't know how every person that works on a cruise ship feels or what might put a smile on their face. A random act of kindness doesn't have to be cash. The people who want to do this kind of thing are going to give the worker their normal gratuities and likely more. They are generous people. They want to do something nice and asked for some ideas. Kindness comes in all kinds of ways and I would never tell people not to bother. I see enough people who treat the staff like they're servants and less than human. If someone wants to do something nice I applaud them. I don't often see people reject kindness.

nothing like being a downer, you all. You don't know how every person that works on a cruise ship feels or what might put a smile on their face. A random act of kindness doesn't have to be cash. The people who want to do this kind of thing are going to give the worker their normal gratuities and likely more. They are generous people. They want to do something nice and asked for some ideas. Kindness comes in all kinds of ways and i would never tell people not to bother. I see enough people who treat the staff like they're servants and less than human. If someone wants to do something nice i applaud them. I don't often see people reject kindness.

Bravo!!!

I seriously hope you are joking.

Love the boss comment! A good comparison for people to think about.

Archived