what happens if the airline loses your luggage

cruise fairy

Just wondering what happens if the airline loses your luggage and you have purchased the additional insurance with Princess.:eek: Do you get reimbursed for clothing for the cruise? :confused:

I always take a few articles of clothing on my carry-on bag just in case, but can no way take on formal attire, etc...

Any experienced folks wanting to comment?

We recently lost a bag in FLL, on our way to take a cruise. Called the airline the next day and was told no one had turned it in. Since I knew there was no identification in the luggage, I was sure it was lost for good. I was surprised when I got home to find a message from an airline rep. in Texas, all missing luggage is sent to their Texas airport. Seems my husband had written his name on the inside of a book and they had searched the internet and found our phone number. They flew the luggage to the local airport and I picked it up. The airlines really works hard to find the owner.

With the insurance coverage, you should receive some compensation, with some limits, witten into the policy.

Good luck, maybe you will be a call, the luggage was found.

Carol

We were on the Island earlier this month, and lost a bag in Vancouver. After the bag was missing for 24 hours we were able to purchase up to $500.00 of item to replace those missing. This was because we had purchased the insurance Princess offered. The bag was found and flown to Juneau where it was delivered to the ship, and then to our cabin. Princess also offered us formal clothing if we needed it. They (Princess) were very helpful.

Our solution to preventing this problem is to take all our cruises round trip out of New York and avoid flying anywhere. Every year, more cruise options are available. If you have a port near you, this is a viable option to save money and avoid aggravation.

A suggestion is to get a 2nd luggage tag for your bags and write your cruise information on that. If you have two bags, mix up your clothing between the two bags so that if one goes missing, you're not in deep doo-doo for clothing.

I normally have a piece of paper with some contact information in my luggage just in case it goes missing. That said I have never really lost luggage. I have had luggage that I got seperated from because my travels were affected airports closing because of snow. But in a day or two we were reunited (those were the extremes because of extreme widespread weather).

The funniest thing that has happened was when I got off the plane and NONE of my bags showed up at the luggage carasele. Went to the little bag office and he pointed to a stack of luggage off to the side. There they were. We figured that I had gotten to my departing airport so early that my bags were loaded on an earlier flight to the hub and then from the hub they also took an earlier flight that one I was on.

Not my personal experience, but that of my parents:-

They flew from the Far East to Copenhagen to join a Princess ship (can't remember which one, possibly Regal). They connected in London when there was a bit of a personnel problem and half of the airline's operations had basically shut down. So while the airline got them out to join their ship, their baggage didn't make it and was piled up in a backlog that took the airline days to sort out. My parents' own bags were on the move relatively quickly, but they kept missing the ship at each port, so they had their own grand tour of several Baltic ports before eventually catching up with the ship about 6 days after it sailed.

When my parents arrived at the ship, they explained the situation. The ship helped out by giving them some credit to spend on alternative clothes in the shops, free laundry until their bags turned up, and the loan of some spare clothes from their collection of stuff that had been left behind on the ship by other people. None of this was required, as the air travel had been completely independently arranged - so it was very good of Princess to step into the breach like this. My parents' travel insurance picked up the remainder of the costs incurred as a result of the baggage delay.

Name tags can easily come off luggage. We always place a sheet of paper in our luggage with our home contact info and our destination date. Fortunately, we have never had luggage more that about 12 hours late in arriving.

Archived