Houston homeport in November 2013

RickEk

We are so excited about this!!! Been waiting years! We have the Carib Princess booked and got an email 2 days ago saying that they will be sailing out of Houston. :D The Bayport Terminal is very nice and small and so much more convenient and less stressful than Galveston. And the parking is right there so no shuttle buses with luggage. We sailed out of the new Houston terminal in 2008 on Carnival Ecstasy after Hurricane Ike damaged Galveston and loved it. It is more industrial which we like for a change. We have sailed out of the old Houston port (a couple miles from it) on NCL 3 times and so enjoyed the ship channel as you get to pass ships so close to you - much more entertaining. :p This will be our first time on Princess and so looking forward to it. NCL is also coming back to Houston at the new terminal finally in 2014. they sailed out for years of the old terminal and seemed to do well there. I think it was more political why the ships weren't coming to the new terminal The port was wanting to concentrate on trying to get the cargo business from the Panama Canal when they expand.

The Port of Houston gave a big inventive to Princess to switch to Houston.

For those wondering why Princess would be willing to spend the extra time going up and down the Houston ship channel, the reason is now clear.

Princess will not have to pay any docking fee or any rent to use the facility.

see the story at http://www.chron.com/business/article/Port-will-pay-6-7-million-to-lure-two-cruise-4051674.php

Glad to see Bayport Terminal finally getting to dust off all those new countertops and chairs. I guess $6.7 million in incentives is all it took to get the attention of some of the cruise lines. For those of us who live in the southcentral US, this will be a great thing. It'll be nice to have more cruising options. Now, if we can just get some new destination ports! ;)

Pete

Glad to see Bayport Terminal finally getting to dust off all those new countertops and chairs. I guess $6.7 million in incentives is all it took to get the attention of some of the cruise lines. For those of us who live in the southcentral US, this will be a great thing. It'll be nice to have more cruising options. Now, if we can just get some new destination ports! ;)

Pete

Amen to that!!:rolleyes:

How about something on the eastern side - Key West. Is it possible to get to the Bahamas on that schedule?

It is definitely possible to get to the Bahamas on a 7 night itinerary from Texas. Carnival currently does it about once a month with the Carnival Magic.

A few longer cruises would be nice. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean used to do them from Galveston. We did a partial Panama Canal transit on an 11 day Royal Caribbean out of Galveston in Feb 2003. I remember the date because the Space Shuttle Columbia exploded over TX the day before and a piece landed in our backyard.

It should be noted that while NCL signed a three year agreement to sail from the Houston port, the Princess agreement is only for one season.

It makes me wonder if Princess will be leaving Texas again and not be there for the 2014 winter season.

It should be noted that while NCL signed a three year agreement to sail from the Houston port, the Princess agreement is only for one season.

It makes me wonder if Princess will be leaving Texas again and not be there for the 2014 winter season.

I was wondering the SAME thing! I wouldn't count my chickens too early. ;) If you want to sail from Houston, book it while you can. They may change back to Galveston the next year.

I also was on the Grand in 2005 like GottaCruiseAgain was and it was a mess checking in at the hotel (which we happened to stay at the night prior), then getting to the ship due to there being 3 ships in port at the same time. On top of that, it was sleeting, freezing cold and miserable.

I can't wait to go to Galveston again in January and give this port a second chance. Pretty much anything will be an improvement over the last time. :p Now that the CB will be sailing out of Houston, I now have another excuse to cruise from there too! :D

Princess left the last time due to low revenue. They position their ships where they can reap the most profit just like most companies. Their latest return to TX is something of an experiment to see if the area can support all these ships. So lets hope they are able to make enough to justify keeping a ship sailing out of TX. I do agree that they need some different ports than those used by RCL and CCL their main competitors.

Princess left the last time due to low revenue. They position their ships where they can reap the most profit just like most companies. Their latest return to TX is something of an experiment to see if the area can support all these ships. So lets hope they are able to make enough to justify keeping a ship sailing out of TX. I do agree that they need some different ports than those used by RCL and CCL their main competitors.

Princess had an advantage when they first announced the Crown itinerary out of Galveston because they had a fourth port (Costa Maya) while RCL and CCL had only three ports.

After eliminating the fourth port "for operational reasons" Princess has the same itinerary as the others also offer on at least some of their cruises. As a result, it is now a commodity and the lowest price will win when the ports are identical.

We are booked on the NYC to now Houston cruise October 26th - Nov 5th in 2013 but are not sure we are happy about the move of the ship from Galveston to Houston. We are sailing with folks out of Galveston so had hoped for the Galveston arrival. Will have to see if Houston works out for the cruise line. I am not sure why the Galveston port can support 2 Carnival ships, 1 RCCL ship, 1 Disney ship and 1 Princess ship starting in December 2012 but it can't support the Princess ship in November 2013.

Barbara

I am not sure why the Galveston port can support 2 Carnival ships, 1 RCCL ship, 1 Disney ship and 1 Princess ship starting in December 2012 but it can't support the Princess ship in November 2013.

Barbara

Real reason for the switch is in the post below.

The Port of Houston gave a big inventive to Princess to switch to Houston.

For those wondering why Princess would be willing to spend the extra time going up and down the Houston ship channel, the reason is now clear.

Princess will not have to pay any docking fee or any rent to use the facility.

see the story at http://www.chron.com/business/article/Port-will-pay-6-7-million-to-lure-two-cruise-4051674.php

Real reason for the switch is in the post below.

It's really a no-brainer for Princess. They're getting cash to homeport a ship in Houston (I'd bet they'd put the Crown Princess there this season if they could... but I'm sure Galveston has an iron-clad contract), and hey, it's only 20 miles or so from Houston to the Gulf of Mexico, so why not utilize the Houston cruise port especially if it's free...

We are booked on the NYC to now Houston cruise October 26th - Nov 5th in 2013 but are not sure we are happy about the move of the ship from Galveston to Houston. We are sailing with folks out of Galveston so had hoped for the Galveston arrival. Will have to see if Houston works out for the cruise line. I am not sure why the Galveston port can support 2 Carnival ships, 1 RCCL ship, 1 Disney ship and 1 Princess ship starting in December 2012 but it can't support the Princess ship in November 2013.

Barbara

A post below indicates the sweet deal Princess got to move to Houston. The other reason may well be that Princess was able to get a Sunday to Sunday departure instead of the Saturday to Saturday they were getting in Galveston. The Sunday one is more popular since Saturday, a non-work day for a lot of people, can be used for travel to the port.

• 3 weeks later...
...The other reason may well be that Princess was able to get a Sunday to Sunday departure instead of the Saturday to Saturday they were getting in Galveston. The Sunday one is more popular since Saturday, a non-work day for a lot of people, can be used for travel to the port.

Would be interesting for them to try that. But they appear to be turning around on Saturdays still, not taking the Sunday advantage (We'll be on the CB 12/7/13 and 12/14/13 for instance).

If you look at my Crown Princess sailing at the end of January, I would say no. Recently, they have been having massive flash sales, to try to fill the ship. Two people can get on the ship in an II inside cabin for less than $900 total. It is finally starting to fill up, but took a huge incentive to do so. At those rates, they can't be making money. Thus, after I cruise next year on the Carribbean Princess (waiting for a big sale), I expect to have to fly to Fort Lauderdale to get my cruise fix. Adios Galveston/Houston. I also would love to see 10/11 day trips to other ports or the Panama Canal. I think those itineraries would fill well, and at a premium price, due to the novelty.

Would be interesting for them to try that. But they appear to be turning around on Saturdays still, not taking the Sunday advantage (We'll be on the CB 12/7/13 and 12/14/13 for instance).

Changing from Sat-Sat to be Sun-Sun would mean changing all the dates for the ports visited. That could make a big difference in how crowded the ports would be as well as shore excursion availability.

The port of Houston has been cruise shipless and empty for far too long. I was lucky enough to sail out of the port of Houston on Norwegian after it first opened. It is a very neat experience sailing out the Houston ship channel at night with all the oil rigs lit up. It is also a very nice terminal and I much prefer it to Galveston a lot less traffic and closer.

The Galveston Crown cruises have been selling very well. In fact, the price I paid for my Jan. cruise has gone up multiple times, even with the so-called incentives being offered. As you'll see, the majority of the mini-suites are sold out for these sailings and on some of the sailings, the suites are sold out as well and they didn't go for a discount.

For many of us West Coasters, we have been waiting for Princess to come back to Texas. It's a simple 3 hr. flight for us vs. an all-day affair getting to FLL. I, like many others, would NOT chose to sail any of the other lines sailing out of Texas. I don't care what it costs, I will not step foot on a Carnivore ship again and NCL is almost as low on that totem pole too and without kids, there's not much point to sail with Disney. I do hope Princess continues to sail out of TX and I look forward to trying the Port of Houston sometime too. :)

Archived