Comments on the Epic Transatlantic from a Solo in a Studio

Beth Y

My first transatlantic cruise was on the Epic from Barcelona to Miami, October 21 to November 3. This was my twelfth cruise (second on Norwegian) and my first as a solo. NCL is not a favorite of mine (mostly because I prefer traditional dining and the food and service on other lines) but I chose the Epic because I was returning from visiting a friend in Germany, the price was right and the dates worked for me, and as a solo I wanted to try a Studio cabin.

THE GOOD:

I liked the variety of the entertainment, and the efficient reservation system. I booked four shows online before the cruise, a few on my TV in the cabin and at the box office. My favorite show was Cirque Dreams, followed by re:Voiced (the a capella group) and both Legends shows. I dropped in to hear Howl at the Moon and Twice as Nice whenever I had a chance.

I enjoyed dinner at four specialty restaurants -- Cagney's, La Cucina, Moderno and Le Bistro. Each had very good food and service. LeBistro was my favorite. The filet was outstanding.

I thought that the Garden Cafe buffet was well-organized, much less chaotic than on many ships, and had a nice selection of food.

O'Sheehan's was a good place for a quick breakfast or lunch without a wait for a table.

The breads and pastries were excellent everywhere. Ah, the pretzel rolls ... and the danish ... I gained 5 pounds!

The ship was very clean, especially the public restrooms.

I really liked my Studio cabin. There was plenty of room for one person, and it was quiet and comfortable (except for the lack of a real chair). It was easy to make friends with other solos at the 5:30 PM get-togethers in the Studio Lounge. Our coordinator Fernando was great; he organized dinners (for often 20+ people) in one of the MDRs every evening, and called ahead to tell them that we were coming, so there was rarely a wait. He also made reservations on several evenings for the specialty restaurants and for a visit to the Ice Bar.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:

I was disappointed with the food and the service in the main dining rooms. I thought the food was mediocre, especially the lobster tail and the steaks. I did not have one memorable meal. The service was impersonal, and sometimes dismal at breakfast (they forgot part of our orders every morning, always forgot the juices, brought hot water for tea and then no tea bag, etc.). Servers were better at lunch and dinner. It's hard to get to know any of them when you rarely had the same server twice. One night in the Manhattan Room, a server poured Kraft salad dressing from a plastic bottle onto a friend's salad. We were speechless.

I had maintenance issues on two occasions. I had a non-working toilet; called Housekeeping and was told that a work order was started; no one showed up. After 4 hours, called Guest Services and finally got action. Another day I left a note for the cabin steward asking for new batteries for the non-working TV remote. She took the remote away, leaving no note or explanation. Could never reach her by phone. Spoke to someone in Housekeeping, nothing happened; called Guest Services, finally got a new remote.

I didn't like two of the shows -- Second City and the Blue Man Group. Most of my friends in the 50+ age group agreed with me that the Blue Man Group was just silly.

I received a Welcome Back letter and a Latitudes Epic pin, but no invitation to a get-together.

The WiFi was expensive, slow, and kept dropping.

OTHER COMMENTS:

The Cruise Critic activities were great. I enjoyed the Meet and Greet, where we met the Captain and several officers, the Cabin Crawl, where we saw a beautiful two-bedroom suite in The Haven, and the Slot Pull, where we doubled our money!

I loved the relaxing sea days on this transatlantic, and I'm planning one in the eastbound direction in the spring. I would sail on Norwegian again, at the right price. I thought that this cruise was a good value. I paid about $90.00 per day for my Studio for this thirteen-day cruise.

Thank you for review.

Unfortunately, there isn't a Latitudes party on the Epic.

Just didn't want you to think you missed something.

Correction. On the TA there was two parties held in Bliss. One on the Friday night for Platinum and Gold members and one on Saturday fir Silver members.

Both had a FREE bar for about an hour :D and we had canopies and met the captain and staff again..

My invite was in the envelope with the ships pin when I got to my cabin, they were very well attended!

Thanks for the review. The toilet and remote are essentials and must works!

Everyone is right about the Latitudes deal. The Epic does not have one for the lower Latitudes members but does for higher levels. I think there are just too many. We didn't have one when we were on the TA last year.

Your comments about the dining room food would apply to all the lines I've sailed on lately. Thanks for a balanced review....the singles' activities sound great.

As the others have mentioned, Latitudes parties are only for those with a higher level status in the program. This is how it is on the Epic as there are so many passengers.

You mentioned above that Fernando organized dinners for 20+ people every night in the Main Dining Rooms. I think that is the problem right there with service/food you received.

As the others have mentioned, Latitudes parties are only for those with a higher level status in the program. This is how it is on the Epic as there are so many passengers.

You mentioned above that Fernando organized dinners for 20+ people every night in the Main Dining Rooms. I think that is the problem right there with service/food you received.

I went to a few large group dinners in the main restaurant and must admit that it was better on my previous cruises when we were in smaller groups.

It's nice to have a big group but when some were having two starters!! :eek: and others two desserts etc.. it dragged on for nearly 2hrs..

We sailed the Epic in August and my son had a studio and also loved it - the best bit was no single supplement. So we did not pay any extra for only having 1 person in the cabin.

Glad you enjoyed most of it - we really enjoyed the ship - especially the adults only section

Thanks for your review! Which room were you in? Hope I dont have same issues with the bathroom when I cruise on the Epic.

I was in 11527 -- a great location, just down the hall from the Studio Lounge. I picked a studio without a connecting door to another, to avoid any possible noise issues.

Archived