One Man's Review of the Caribbean Princess

lovelearnteach

I find this review to be.......  

127 members have voted

1. 1. I find this review to be.......

To sum up day 4, we had an awesome day, but I don't like late port days. If the ship docks noon or later in a port, everyone wants to get off at the same time and the lines are redonkulous! When you dock at 7-9 a.m. not everyone is up and ready and had breakfast, so getting off the ship is a breeze, but when it's late everyone on the ship has pleanty of time to get ready and they all want off at the same time which makes for a huge cluster f**k. I was glad to see Curacao and complete the ABC island chain, but I didn't care for the late arrival time.

Day 5 Wed. Nov. 14th,

Today is Aruba, and shopping till I drop and another singles mixer with our group in the Wheelhouse Bar. For breakfast I had the Sunrise Surprise and 2 poached eggs on wheat toast, a rasher of bacon and a hash brown. All very delicious and a great start to the day :).

478.jpg.a96fe394a9b52e075f6ab4212d7be1ff.jpg

It was hotter than you know what in Aruba, so I dropped a little earlier than originally planned :o:D. I did get a new Swatch Watch which was my prime goal, although in retrospect I wish I had gotten it in Curacao, as they had a much bigger store there. No matter I love my new watch, and everyone has ooohhhed and ahhhed over it :D. We went back to the ship to cool off and have lunch. Since the MDR was closed we headed to the buffet for the 1st time. I must of had too much sun because I didn't take a single pic and I had my camera with me :D. It was nice to have very few people in the buffet area and everything I ate off the buffet was very good. The waiter kept our iced teas full the whole time we were in there eating, we didn't have to ask for a refill once.

479.jpg.44a332e5893018ff95fc6fafc7e6894f.jpg

480.jpg.7009622c95e3b14654986e73193ff7ba.jpg

I had also been looking at the ships tour which was cook your own meal at a mansion for $100. I kinda felt that was a little pricey to cook my own food, as I felt we could get a good meal at a restaurant and get waited on hand and foot for that price.

I signed up for the cooking excursion, be glad you didn't, it got canceled because the tour company went out of business unexpectedly, and by the time we found out, all the other good excursions were sold out!

Also, The CB docked at Terminal 2 at Port Everglades. That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to dock there all the time, but it seems to be coming and going from Terminal 2.

After lunch we went back into the shopping center right there where you get of the ship and shopped a little more in the comfort of air-conditioning :D:). By this time it was time for a milk shake, so after a stop in the room to drop stuff off, it was up to Lido for some milk shakes, strawberry for Terry and chocolate for me, ahhhh life is good :).

I signed up for the cooking excursion, be glad you didn't, it got canceled because the tour company went out of business unexpectedly, and by the time we found out, all the other good excursions were sold out!

Also, The CB docked at Terminal 2 at Port Everglades. That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to dock there all the time, but it seems to be coming and going from Terminal 2.

Oh man that sucks Mark :(, I guess my 6th sense was working for me because I sure was tempted to book that one but something stopped me ;).

That's the only terminal at Port Everglades that I have sailed from.

After chillaxin around the ship, it was time to get ready for the singles mixer. This time they had Getting to Know You Bingo, it was a bunch of questions in squares and you had to complete a row of questions to get bingo, I had 2 squares full and 3 guys yelled bingo. It went so quick, and I believe they missed the point, but oh well :). Then it was time to get ready for dinner.

Edited by lovelearnteach

Tonight was Chef's Menu and I had Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle, Creamy Artichoke Bisque with Gremolata, Grilled Mignons of Pork Tenderloin with Chardonnay Pan Juice and Warm Apple Crumble, Chocolate Marquise, Raspberry Panna Cotta. Terry got the Princess Love Boat Dream, both desserts Princess classics and both very yummy. I do have to say this was without a doubt the worst meal overall of this cruise. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either, I should have sent the pork back and gotten the Orange Roughy and I should have gotten Shrimp Cocktail instead of the souffle. Living the life of the pampered is so rough, but alas someone has to do it :D.

482.jpg.1b5229865829ec96784edae881395ce1.jpg

483.jpg.ce3b3030940da72c7c61fe035e098a58.jpg

485.jpg.4034c332655d8f0f4fa0362cee3841c9.jpg

486.jpg.9271dfa8be03e1c9dc9021df6c76b253.jpg

487.jpg.9dd2068c9a04aa72ab4eceaf1668365a.jpg

488.jpg.73ff046c6c9c04aceda3cd8604631c6e.jpg

490.jpg.6fa50480c73085cbad89c0f118355380.jpg

489.jpg.d4ab15674b300937c38f1477ac312950.jpg

Edited by lovelearnteach

After dinner we went back to the room to watch The Avengers and call it a night. To sum up day 5 it was another awesome day on the CB :). I love Aruba, and I always enjoy my many times there and look forward to any future visits there. We ran into a waitress that remembered us from the Ruby at the singles mixer and we had fun conversation with her and the bartender, they didn't know who Amish People were and how we even got to that subject was a fun journey :D. At this point I can say we really enjoy the Princess product, but we really want to try other cruise lines also.

Edited by lovelearnteach

Day 6 Thur. Nov. 15th,

Today is a sea day, we have a meeting in the afternoon to hear about the Chumley Cruise 2013 in Skywalker's Nightclub, and then our last exclusive disco for our group tonight in Club Fusion. Tonight there is also a 1 hour tribute to Micheal Jackson in SN, that we both really want to go to. We head to the MDR for breakfast and I have the Melon Trio, Eggs Benedict, a rasher of bacon and hash brown. Another great start to what promises to be another great day :).

491.jpg.b28f695b1bf40f5438bc2d5287f69f6f.jpg

492.jpg.8c3499f0ceecb36cc9faba8c27251225.jpg

OK-the pic of the melon trio is CRACKING ME UP--seriously? A tiny piece of each melon (and 2 were the same? not even watermelon?)...no attempt whatsoever at plating????:cool:

Enjoying your review!!

Edited by KKB

Ken - Thanks for taking time delivering a wonderful review! We're loving the pics of the food! We sail on the Caribbean Princess in March...this will be our first foray with Princess...any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Little things like should we make our way to the MDR for lunch after embarkation? Or, take a shot at the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe? What about seating at HC? On some of the Carnival ships we've sailed on finding a seat can be challenging.

I've heard the mattresses leave something to be desired and what a lot of seasoned Princess cruisers recommend is after dropping your luggage, find your room steward and ask for a mattress topper? What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for the review! We can't wait for ours to start!

Jeff

After breakfast we piddled around the ship then headed up to SN for the talk about next years cruise. We only cruise once a year and next year I really want to sail on the Celebrity Eclipse and Terry is talking about going to Disney in Oct. of next year. The next Chumley group cruise is on the new Royal Princess which is very tempting, we're gonna have to make a tough decision :rolleyes:;).

493.jpg.18de298223b653e8cb93ec15acd8da86.jpg

494.jpg.a52dbc2876a921f338ae338a8c253b4b.jpg

495.jpg.e7d682ff0e11dc916013b9eb9638620f.jpg

496.jpg.f4457c757a0c46796e39c9dbcfc911f3.jpg

OK-the pic of the melon trio is CRACKING ME UP--seriously? A tiny piece of each melon (and 2 were the same? not even watermelon?)...no attempt whatsoever at plating????:cool:

Enjoying your review!!

:D Well it is breakfast after all. I can't remember if that was on the everyday menu or the special of the day menu :rolleyes:;):).

Ken - Thanks for taking time delivering a wonderful review! We're loving the pics of the food! We sail on the Caribbean Princess in March...this will be our first foray with Princess...any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Little things like should we make our way to the MDR for lunch after embarkation? Or, take a shot at the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe? What about seating at HC? On some of the Carnival ships we've sailed on finding a seat can be challenging.

I've heard the mattresses leave something to be desired and what a lot of seasoned Princess cruisers recommend is after dropping your luggage, find your room steward and ask for a mattress topper? What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for the review! We can't wait for ours to start!

Jeff

Thank-you Jeff :), I hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do!

Well I can give you my opinion, but of course that is subjective.

1. I always go to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day. I feel it's a wonderful way to start your vacation being waited on hand and foot. I also feel I can get buffet at home and serve myself there also, not that I have anything against the buffet, I just prefer the MDR. On our cruise in 2010 on the EP they did try to talk us into going to the buffet, but after I put my foot down they did seat us, now on our last 2 cruises on the RP & CB we were seated immediately with no problems or hassle. I know others have also complained about being hassled about eating in the MDR on embarkations day. I'm not sure if Princess has changed it's attitude, as it was said that they did it because the MDR for lunch was really only for the B2B, suite & elite passengers, or if others are still having an issue recently. So the jist of it is if they give you any trouble just put your foot down, unless you get there after 1:30p.m. as they are closed after that and no amount of foot putting down will get you in :D.

2. Just in case you didn't know the difference between Horizon Court which is more of a station buffet with everyone milling about going from here to there. There is an "entrance" and an "exit", but once inside it's a free for all. Then Cafe Caribe is more cafeteria style, you still serve yourself, but it's one line so if you passed something you wanted you would have to go back through the line to get it. We generally get a seat first and then take turns going to get food, it eliminates walking around with a full plate of food and then if one fills up and heads out they either have to stand there and wait for the other to come out, or you come out first and get a table then your partner is on the great expedition to find you :D. So yes if you go during peak times it's going to be crowded, if you go like we did while in port. or not peak times, you practically have the place to yourself.

3. I've never had any trouble with the mattresses on any of my Princess cruises. I do get a bed topper as the softer the better for me, my uncle does not as the harder the better for him, so different strokes for different folks. You won't need to hunt your cabin steward down they will hunt you down :eek::D, they make a point of introducing themselves on Princess. There will also be a card on the desk with the room stewards name and instructions on how to get a hold of them if you need them. I also get 2 extra pillows as I need one for between my legs at night, because at home I sleep with a body pillow, and when sitting on the bed to watch a movie on TV they help make a comfortable back rest, and I've never had a problem getting them when requested.

4. The most important part let loose and have fun :).

After the meeting it was time to head to Crown Grill for the English Pub Lunch. I was a little disappointed to see the same menu from Mon. Last year on the Ruby there was a different menu for each of the pub lunches. I wonder if this is one of the cutbacks or just unique to CB. I was looking forward to the chicken curry and record scratch no chicken curry on the CB. So we both got the Steak and Kidney Pie & Bread & Butter Pudding. The pie looked wonderful and tasted interesting. It was good, but I would not get it again. I asked if there was any maple syrup for the pudding, after a long time the waiter came back and said no syrup but they did have honey would I like that instead. He didn't bring it and would have to go get it so at that point it had all taken to long. To many other much better desserts just steps away at the IC :D.

498.jpg.487fb96a1164e8035601571da930cd90.jpg

501.jpg.6ea26d41deb06ebe76eb30112376646b.jpg

502.jpg.8096d8ef8ee1d1ce2fc2392ce294cd42.jpg

After the meeting it was time to head to Crown Grill for the English Pub Lunch. I was a little disappointed to see the same menu from Mon. Last year on the Ruby there was a different menu for each of the pub lunches. I wonder if this is one of the cutbacks or just unique to CB. I was looking forward to the chicken curry.

I think it is up to the ship chef to decide. On an August 7-day Princess cruise there were three Pub Lunches held, but the menu with the curry chicken was only on the third one.

I know others have also complained about being hassled about eating in the MDR on embarkations day. I'm not sure if Princess has changed it's attitude, as it was said that they did it because the MDR for lunch was really only for the B2B, suite & elite passengers, or if others are still having an issue recently. So the jist of it is if they give you any trouble just put your foot down, unless you get there after 1:30p.m. as they are closed after that and no amount of foot putting down will get you in :D.

Up until a couple of years ago it was difficult to get into the embarkation day lunch in the dining room.

Then Princess issued a press release saying that was an embakation day option for all. For months it was still difficult and on at least one occasion I had to show then press release in order to get into the dining room.

Now the fold out map they give you when you check in has a paragraph on the back inviting you to enjoy embarkation day lunch in the dining room (if still open) and the dining room personnel welcome you with open arms almost all the time. However, the extra people stationed all around the ship to guide new passengers never seem to know about this and send anyone who asks to the buffet.

Edited by caribill

Well we both decided that a half eaten small pie was not enough and headed up to the lido deck. Terry for pepperoni pizza at Prego PIzzeria and a cheeseburger and fries for me from Trident Grill. What can I say we're American, we went for our comfort food. Love, love, love the fries at TG, mmmm so yummy :D.

504.jpg.a2a943626109631de3954394ced07acc.jpg

503.jpg.7e00c884062f6276424d2659ae3281eb.jpg

After our lunch extravaganza it was time for me to head to Jackpot Bingo in Club Fusion. Unfortunately I didn't win anything, but on the first bingo 2 people called bingo, but they did not bingo on the last number called. They still let them win, which really they shouldn't have, but oh well.

506.jpg.0a7384939eb2b69e495d50cec35c5927.jpg

507.jpg.3190b6a1bb9d5cc3538d24b4962ce814.jpg

I think it is up to the ship chef to decide. On an August 7-day Princess cruise there were three Pub Lunches held, but the menu with the curry chicken was only on the third one.

We only had 2, there was not one on our last sea day :(. Again I'm not sure if this is part of the Princess cut backs, or just a decision of the Chef. Either way no chicken curry for Ken! Which naturally ruined my whole cruise experience and I will never sail Princess again...........NOT :rolleyes::p:D.

Up until a couple of years ago it was difficult to get into the embarkation day lunch in the dining room.

Then Princess issued a press release saying that was an embakation day option for all. For months it was still difficult and on at least one occasion I had to show then press release in order to get into the dining room.

Now the fold out map they give you when you check in has a paragraph on the back inviting you to enjoy embarkation day lunch in the dining room (if still open) and the dining room personnel welcome you with open arms almost all the time. However, the extra people stationed all around the ship to guide new passengers never seem to know about this and send anyone who asks to the buffet.

Well it's official now, that's good to know thank-you so much caribill :)! So if you want to eat lunch in the MDR don't let anyone dissuade you!

Great loooooooooooooong review, which you had stated.:)

A question or two.

We are to do the same cruise in March. On Princess Cays, you rented the clam shells. Other than the clam shells, is there ANY shade???? Also, I believe you mentioned about someone selling items, is that correct?

Thank-you Jeff :), I hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do!

Well I can give you my opinion, but of course that is subjective....

4. The most important part let loose and have fun :).

Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me...really helps some of the anxiety of 'not doing it right' on a new ship...I guess that's my fault for sailing with Carnival 4 years in a row, 3 times on the same ship (same stateroom :eek: ).

Jeff