tips for solo travellers

HCTiger9704

Good morning:) I agree, some of the tips are good.

Of course everyone is different so the cruiseline suggestion may not

fit everyone. I sail Celebrity so the Epic would not be in my wheelhouse.

And unless I missed it, the article didn't say "Cruise Critic" is a wonderful

website:D;)......and my suggestion is to see if there is a roll call

started and participating in one can enhance your cruise experience:)

I just got back from sailing (solo of course) and met my tablemates on

the roll call and we all got along great and it was wonderful having

a fun dinner table each night. We had linked our reservations together.

My next cruise is for my 55th birthday in March....11 nights,

solo of course;)

Solo cruises are the best! I have to agree with mtwingcpa in regards to view yourself as a traveler not solo. Biggest tip is "Open Mind", "Smile", "Engage with those around you", "Join your roll call", "Don't be afraid to talk to those around you."

Once you are on the ship all those around you really have no idea if you're traveling alone or with a group and ventured off. People always go off on their own on a cruise. On my most recent cruise I sat with different folks many times in the main dining room and never got any odd comments about traveling solo but more of, wow, that's awesome to be able to do what you want, when you want! I encouraged them to try it one day, its the best way to cruise. :)

As Lois stated and btw she's a great source of information, join your roll call, you can partake or not partake into events.

I myself just returned from cruising 9 days solo and it was by far one of the best cruises I've been on. During that cruise I also did a "Live" cruise report from my adventures. My very first night on my second leg of my journey I was seated with some very nice people who I was friendly with the rest of the trip and we all ate together many times. It was a blast.

My "Live" report is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734869

I traveled "solo" two other times and here are there reports.

2nd Solo Cruise trip report

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674131

1st Solo cruise review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312348

I'm cruising again in 11 days, but this time I won't be "solo" and know it won't quite be the same, but will have a great time none the less.

Cruising solo for 9 days really wasn't enough time!! Way to go Lois for 11 nights, lucky you! :) My goal next fall is to do a total of 14days doing two 7 nighters.

Have a great cruise!!

Solo cruises are the best! I have to agree with mtwingcpa in regards to view yourself as a traveler not solo. Biggest tip is "Open Mind", "Smile", "Engage with those around you", "Join your roll call", "Don't be afraid to talk to those around you."

Once you are on the ship all those around you really have no idea if you're traveling alone or with a group and ventured off. People always go off on their own on a cruise. On my most recent cruise I sat with different folks many times in the main dining room and never got any odd comments about traveling solo but more of, wow, that's awesome to be able to do what you want, when you want! I encouraged them to try it one day, its the best way to cruise. :)

As Lois stated and btw she's a great source of information, join your roll call, you can partake or not partake into events.

I myself just returned from cruising 9 days solo and it was by far one of the best cruises I've been on. During that cruise I also did a "Live" cruise report from my adventures. My very first night on my second leg of my journey I was seated with some very nice people who I was friendly with the rest of the trip and we all ate together many times. It was a blast.

My "Live" report is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734869

I traveled "solo" two other times and here are there reports.

2nd Solo Cruise trip report

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674131

1st Solo cruise review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312348

I'm cruising again in 11 days, but this time I won't be "solo" and know it won't quite be the same, but will have a great time none the less.

Cruising solo for 9 days really wasn't enough time!! Way to go Lois for 11 nights, lucky you! :) My goal next fall is to do a total of 14days doing two 7 nighters.

Have a great cruise!!

Hi, thank you for the kind words:) It is appreciated.

Do you have any tips for solo travellers?

I found this article (click here to read the article) has some good advice about travelling solo.

I have been solo on 6 out of 9 cruises. Two of those has been 13 night transatlantics. (I have spent 47 nights since April 15, 2012 on cruise ships) I have 6 more booked between now and May.... I LOVE traveling solo.....except for the single supplement :mad:......

Tips:

1. Join the roll call here on Cruise Critic for your ship/sail date. I will look and see how active the roll call is before I even book a cruise anymore. It really DOES make all the difference.

2. IF you hadn't met someone from your roll call when yo go to supper (dinner) the first night....REQUEST A SHARING TABLE.....if they try to sit you at a table for 2, REFUSE and again REQUEST A SHARING TABLE.....trust me, there are more solos on there that will fill up your table than what you think

3. Go to the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, mingle with people....drop hints that you are traveling by yourself.....our Cruise Critic "group" on the Spirit TA back in April, adopted several other solo travelers into "our" group

4. Go to karaoke....seems like a lot of solo travelers go there even just to watch. If you see someone sitting alone, ask if the chair next to them is taken. If not, sit down and introduce yourself.

5. I LOVE to dance and it seems like all the men is coupled up. Unless the man was in "my" group, I won't ask him to dance....so how I "settled" that was to go to the LGBT gathering the first or 2nd night....I let it be known up front that I am straight but that I need a dancing partner....sometimes I find 2 or 3 and sometimes all I have done is make new friends....either way, it is a win, win for me.

6. Just be yourself and speak to people that walks by.

I am sure there are more tips....maybe that I hadn't even thought of....the main thing is JUST ENJOY YOURSELF

Yes. View yourself as a "traveler"...not as a "SOLO" traveler.

I think this is the very best advice! Spend your energy and time traveling on vacation - seeing new things, enjoying the views, savouring new tastes, and enjoying what you like to do. Don't waste time worrying about how to meet other people - whether you do or you don't you can still have a good time traveling the world.

If I were to put together tips for solo travelers, they would include:

-Have fun and do what you like to do - everything that's available for couples to do is also possible for solos. If you don't have someone to do (whatever) with, do it anyway.

-Drink moderately at most, don't leave your drink alone, and make your own way back to your hotel/ship/room when you're done. When you travel solo you've go no one to watch your back, so you have to be responsible for your own health and safety. Don't accept rides (or walks) home from stranger.

-Don't think that you should only be socializing with other solos - it's fine to strike up a conversation with couples if you think you've got things to chat about. Couples chat about travel, weather, books, and movies just like solo travelers do. Or don't strike up a conversation with anyone -that's OK too if that's what you want.

-Don't forget to ask people to take your photo from time to time.

-

Archived