Complaints about not receiving personal attention from cabin stewards

zanzibargirl

Having read tons of NCL ship reviews on this forum, I just don’t get the complaints about cabin stewards not introducing themselves right away. Really? Considering the average per day cost of an NCL cruise can be as low as $100 or less – including lodging, food, entertainment etc…this is still less than a land-based Days Inn or Super 8 hotel! I don’t know about you guys, but I sure wouldn’t expect my room attendant at one of these hotels to introduce himself or herself– let alone refresh ice buckets twice a day, and be at my beck and call for every little whim! Hey as long as my room is clean and tidy, I feel I am getting what I paid for. Yes, any personal introduction is nice, but not a must – let alone a major issue to rant and rave about! J

Our first NCL cruise is in Jan. We have cruised Carnival and Holland America in the past. Never knew a steward to not fall all over himself to make us feel welcome and special. I expect the same on NCL. These people work hard under difficult conditions and deserve every penny of their pay and tips.

Having read tons of NCL ship reviews on this forum, I just don’t get the complaints about cabin stewards not introducing themselves right away. Really? Considering the average per day cost of an NCL cruise can be as low as $100 or less – including lodging, food, entertainment etc…this is still less than a land-based Days Inn or Super 8 hotel! I don’t know about you guys, but I sure wouldn’t expect my room attendant at one of these hotels to introduce himself or herself– let alone refresh ice buckets twice a day, and be at my beck and call for every little whim! Hey as long as my room is clean and tidy, I feel I am getting what I paid for. Yes, any personal introduction is nice, but not a must – let alone a major issue to rant and rave about! J

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Some people just expect a lot and are high maintenance.

Cambrensis - I think you are misunderstanding me....I think the cabin stewards work incredibly hard day after day, and I totally agree they deserve every penny of their tips. But I have a problem with people who complain loudly if they happen to have a steward that does NOT fall all over himself to make them feel special.....

I have sailed NCL once, and HAL a bunch of times - and I honestly can't remember if the steward introduced himself or not. Mind you - I am not one to ask for things like ice, etc or order room service, so I would not have much interaction with him. But yes, the room was immaculate every day and I was perfectly happy!

i find NCL crews the friendlest and most helpfull and have yet to be proven wrong.That being said i think as long as the person isnt being unreasonable or needy they have the right to expect a level of service not comencerate with price but with the level portrayed by the cruise line.NCL says they have the best crews on the seas and i agree.

I really can't understand why anyone need to know the name of their cabin steward.

Take some time on your next cruise, learn the Steward's name, and learn something about them as a person (remember: they have lives and don't simply exist as automatons to serve us). Create that personal relationship and watch how different the service you receive becomes.

Then you'll understand why.

I really can't understand why anyone need to know the name of their cabin steward.

We always like to know the name of our steward and others who take care of us on board so we can write recommendations and give proper tips to the correct people.

Take some time on your next cruise, learn the Steward's name, and learn something about them as a person (remember: they have lives and don't simply exist as automatons to serve us). Create that personal relationship and watch how different the service you receive becomes.

Cabin stewarts who give different service to people they "know" and people they don't know aren't doing their job the correct way! It's not up to the cabin stewarts to decide what kind of service they shall give, unless they give the service on their spare time.

I guess that some people ask everyone they meet about their name but I don't.

We always like to know the name of our steward and others who take care of us on board so we can write recommendations and give proper tips to the correct people.

When someone do something special, we make sure that their superiors get to know it. We might tip our stewart extra if they deserve it but we don't need to know their name to do it.

Amen! This is the key to it all (and really the key to life!).

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

The stewards (as all NCL staff) work VERY hard and do a stellar job..

It amazes me that esp on "turn over day"...the stewards even find the time to introduce themselves...(as they have always done with us)

Our cabin stewards all have been like a personal friend by the cruise end. In fact, a few have indeed remained as friends with my wife on FB after a cruise. First, all except on our first cruise have approached us initially introducing themselves. However, we also go out of our way to introduce outselves and stop and speak whenever we get a chance, asking about family, home, and such...and that's if they are not obviously very busy with their many other duties. And I've always written STYLE/HERO cards for all of them.....and they certainly deserved it.

First off our cabin steward introduced himself to us, which I thought was very nice. Everytime we met in the hallway we or he would say goodmorning, that was the extent of our "personal relationship" with him. He was very good at what he did and his attention to detail was excellent.

Because you don't form a "personal relationship" with your room steward does not mean that you feel that they "simply exist as automatons to serve us". I understand some people wish to make friends with everyone they meet and find out as much as possible about that person, and thats fine. But not everyone feels this way.

we keep strange hours and don't follow the normal pattern. one cruise, we didn't see our cabin person for days. never knew their names, except the card left in the cabin. but service was exceptional! when i left them a little extra, at turn-down the last night, when we passed in the hall they said "thank you". they knew who we were.

getting a personal introduction doesn't make or break our cruises.

I think some may confuse the role of steward and butler. One is paid to be social as well as helpful and the other is to do a heavy job for many. Both shoulld be appreciated and respected for what they do well. but don't confuse their responsibilities.

You get what you pay for, sometimes.

LOL sorry Cambrensis, my bad! :) Yup - spent two weeks in Zanzibar a few years ago and fell in love with the island - all of East Africa really! Love it so much I went back to the region this past summer, but not to Zanzibar again. :(

Thanks - Cruise Critic is a blast so far - soo much info! Hey I think we are getting on the Gem next January as you get off (Jan 27)....:) Hope you have a great cruise!

People will always complain that's the nature of many human beings, but thankfully not of all.

I've had room stewards that were very quiet and ones that were gregarious with whom I've had regular conversations with. Either is fine with me as long as I have a clean room and my bed is made. Everyone has different personalities and I respect that along with the fact that they're extremely busy.

Cambrensis - I think you are misunderstanding me....I think the cabin stewards work incredibly hard day after day, and I totally agree they deserve every penny of their tips. But I have a problem with people who complain loudly if they happen to have a steward that does NOT fall all over himself to make them feel special.....

I have sailed NCL once, and HAL a bunch of times - and I honestly can't remember if the steward introduced himself or not. Mind you - I am not one to ask for things like ice, etc or order room service, so I would not have much interaction with him. But yes, the room was immaculate every day and I was perfectly happy!

So obviously you don't have many needs. We do. We make sure the room steward knows what we expect on the first day. They are happy and we are too. Ice is a must, eggcrates for the bed, twin set - we tip extra for the service.

I couldn't agree more, I'm just happy I'm on vacation! :D

Archived