Dawn/Boston Hotels?

roger001

Thanks again for the suggestions. It looks like the Best Western in Quincy is the best solution, price, plus airport and cruise terminal shuttles, and believe we'll go with that. My wife has some knee and back mobility issues, so public transportation or walking with luggage can't be done. Thanks again for the help.

There's also the Quincy Marriott. I don't know if they have a shuttle to the port (kind of doubt it), but it's probably 10 miles south of Boston. Braintree MA also has a number of hotels. The Best Western was once the Adams Inn and did undergo a renovation some years ago, and the area (IMHO) is better than Sommerville. There are also less colleges closer to Quincy (as compared to Sommerville or Boston). Good luck

• 2 months later...
What are your exact dates in August? What kind of prices are you seeing? What's your budget and how many people?

Hi East... Thank you for all of your contibutions on this board... I remeber getting your advice when I sailed the Spirit ou of boston a few years ago.

I was wondering what you would recommend for a park, sleep and cruise option?

I am sailing the Dawn on August 30, 2013. I would be looking for an evening arrival on August 29, 2013...something simple as I will be just sleeping and then going to the port in the morning......

I'm assuming your cruise is 7 days and that you are driving up from LI the previous evening. I would advise using Hotwire to get a room along route 128/95 in the Newton/Waltham or Burlington/Lexington area and driving into Boston the next morning after rush hour and parking at the pier.

I am seeing a 3* hotel in Burlington/Lexington for $82 (about $100 incl tax) that could be Staybridge Suites which apparently has just been rebranded to Sonesta Suites. This is an easy off/easy on from route 128/95 at Middlesex Turnpike. Parking at the pier is $16/Day which is $112 for the week.

The Best Western Quincy is down on the South Shore and is harder to get to and find late at night. They do offer a cruise package with a shuttle, but when you disembark you will have to go to Quincy before you can even get on the road back to NY. The pricing is close but IMO the park/sleep is not a better deal in this case.

If you do this, be sure to get on the Merritt Parkway at Rye NY or Milford CT and pick up I91 through Hartford to I84 to the Mass Pike. Burlington is about 15 minutes north on I95. From Burlington the next morning you can continue north on I95 and pick up I93 to go into downtown Boston.

Please read the Trip Advisor reviews for the Best Western so you know what to expect. It's not a hotel that we regularly recommend on this board, but given both budget and mobility constraints, it should satisfy your particular requirements.

I'm curious why you don't regularly recommend this hotel. We need a one night stay pre-cruise and will arrive at Logan at 6:30 pm and go to the cruiseport the next morning.

You're on the Brilliance TA!! So am I.

I don't regularly recommend this hotel because it is in Quincy, not Boston. Most folks are looking for a more central location and this hotel is 6.5-7.5 miles from Black Falcon Pier and even further from downtown. It gets good reviews, but folks do mention things like a moldy smell and dirty and stained carpets. It does offer both an airport shuttle and a cruiseport shuttle, but it definitely doesn't offer a really convenient way to sightsee in Boston.

However, if you have to leave your car in a park/sleep for more than 14 days, it is the only reasonable place to do this because the additional parking is $5/day. If you're on a tight budget, it might also be a good choice if there are no Boston hotel deals for your dates.

So this hotel is not off the list, it just isn't usually a top contender.

You're on the Brilliance TA!! So am I.

I don't regularly recommend this hotel because it is in Quincy, not Boston. Most folks are looking for a more central location and this hotel is 6.5-7.5 miles from Black Falcon Pier and even further from downtown. It gets good reviews, but folks do mention things like a moldy smell and dirty and stained carpets. It does offer both an airport shuttle and a cruiseport shuttle, but it definitely doesn't offer a really convenient way to sightsee in Boston.

However, if you have to leave your car in a park/sleep for more than 14 days, it is the only reasonable place to do this because the additional parking is $5/day. If you're on a tight budget, it might also be a good choice if there are no Boston hotel deals for your dates.

So this hotel is not off the list, it just isn't usually a top contender.

Thanks for your quick reply. For the price, with shuttles both way and breakfast, I think it should be OK for an overnight stay. We're flying in so no car to park and won't be doing any sightseeing this time so we'll take a chance.

Look forward to meeting you on the TA.

I think you will be fine since you know what to expect and understand where it is located.

I am very excited about the TA. I was on the EX at the beginning of Feb for 16 days and got reacquainted with several folks who will be on the TA. I also had the opportunity to talk to a couple who were on the Jewel TA last August. I'm hoping to meet another cruiser when she comes to Boston in August to fly out for the preceding cruise to the Baltics. And I'm going to meet some folks in Paris precruise. Since I'm going solo, it's very nice to know others on the ship.

I think you will be fine since you know what to expect and understand where it is located.

I am very excited about the TA. I was on the EX at the beginning of Feb for 16 days and got reacquainted with several folks who will be on the TA. I also had the opportunity to talk to a couple who were on the Jewel TA last August. I'm hoping to meet another cruiser when she comes to Boston in August to fly out for the preceding cruise to the Baltics. And I'm going to meet some folks in Paris precruise. Since I'm going solo, it's very nice to know others on the ship.

We'll also be in Paris pre-cruise for 2 nights. I just booked the Eurostar for Aug 28 to go to London. Got a rate of $65pp and choice of seats so I'm happy. It's great to have one more thing checked off my list. I know there are others who will be in Paris and have suggested meeting up but we're going to be doing whirlwind sightseeing and don't know where we'll be when. Glad you've found others to meet up with.

Sue - I'm not arriving in Paris until Aug 28 so we'll miss each other. I'm pursuing your info about booking Eurostar - the are 4 of us who are going to London on Aug 30, so perhaps we can get the train settled now instead of in 2 months. Thanks for posting that helpful piece of info.

Carol

Sue - I'm not arriving in Paris until Aug 28 so we'll miss each other. I'm pursuing your info about booking Eurostar - the are 4 of us who are going to London on Aug 30, so perhaps we can get the train settled now instead of in 2 months. Thanks for posting that helpful piece of info.

Carol

You're welcome. I felt the price was good and wanted to check this pieces of the trip off my list. Look forward to meeting you on the ship.

Archived