Disappointed with Navigator of the Seas

offcamber

My wife and I got married last Nov. 26th, but due to her recovering from a severely broken leg and having multiple surgeries, we put off our honeymoon. Since she was more mobile now, we decided to celebrate our 1st anniversary with a cruise to finally take our honeymoon. This was our second cruise. Our first was on the Carnival Ecstasy 4 years ago. We had fun then, but thought we'd try Royal Caribbean since it appeared to be a little more up scale. On the Carnival cruise, we were a little disappointed in the age of the ship, the number of kids running crazy and the food outside of the main dining room. We booked a room on the 10th deck, a superior ocean view stateroom (balcony) for Nov 17-24.

Drove into New Orleans from Dallas on Nov 16.

Saturday-Got on the ship fairly quickly. Lots of mix ups in the parking lot with managing the luggage, but somehow after standing at the back of a long line waiting for the porters to figure out what to do with all of the luggage from the the parking lot, one of the guys for some reason singled us out and asked if all we had were the 3 bags in front of us. I said yes and since he had room for just about our bags, he threw them in and we got to go check in way before we should have since we were at the end of the line. We spent some time checking the ship out and then went back to our cabin. No luggage so we kept checking back. At 730, still nothing. About 8 we went to guest relations. I was concerned since my wife had checked to bottles of wine. Guest relations said they didn't know where our luggage was but they checked a list and they hadn't been held. More waiting, we got into the elevator bout 830 and I was ranting quietly to my wife when a guy in a RC suit heard me. He came over and asked me what the problem was. I told him and he looked at a legal pad he had and asked for our stateroom #. I told him 1662 and he said, "Ah, it's been held in security, deck 1". So we go to security where they tell us they held it for the bottles because they have no way of telling if its wine or liquor. The wine bottles were just in my wifes bag but hey held all of them. We got a phone call about 11:30pm telling us our luggage was in security (after we'd already gotten it) Some of the staff told us that we couldn't bring wine on board and were surprised when we showed them the paperwork that said you could. We were 30 minutes late for our 8:30 dinner. We were the only ones at the table as we found out the next night that no one elses luggage had made it to them at the table by 8:30pm

Sunday- Midday the toilet in our room quit working and we had no water. That lasted until about midnight. This was when our stateroom started to be a tad warm. Even though the AC was on it's coolest setting, it was cooler in the corridor outside. Asked the stateroom attendant and he said he would check on it for us. Ship was really rocking and rolling. Normally that doesn't bother me, but I ended up taking meds to steady myself.

Monday - Our stateroom was still a bit warm. We woke up feeling slightly sweaty, but no update by noon so I went by guest relations who called maintenance. No notification that anything was done. More rocking and rolling of the ship.

Tuesday - We got a notice that they were going to be working on the plumbing from 11pm-5am and there would be no water during that time. We got off the boat that morning in Falmouth and wandered around the port. We didn't book any excursions so we decided to go into town and eat at a place we'd heard a couple of blocks in. We'd gone maybe 30 yards beyond the port when we were mobbed by locals trying to "guide" us. At one point I realized my wife had her wedding rings on when I heard the woman she had just declined to have braid her hair tell the guy next to her, "look she has rings". Not exactly comforting, but my wife never should have worn jewelry. When the guy approached us and asked where we were going, I told him we were going to eat but we knew the way there, he got a little uncomfortably close and pushy so I put my arm across his chest and forcefully told him to back off. Then the next guy came offering to "guide" us and it just kept getting worse. Luckily I'm 6'3, 275 so at that point I just decided to be as intimidating as possible and beat the locals back. We ended up just turning the corner and going around the block back to the port before it got dangerous. We ended up eating at the jerked chicken place in port. The staff were very friendly and the service was great but the food was a bit pricey. I think it was $53 for two jerked chicken platters and soft drinks.

Tuesday night - at 10:30, no water, just as advertised. About 1am banging, drilling and all sorts of other noises began LOUDLY and sounded like they were actually in our bathroom. This went on all night long and constantly woke us up. Ran to the Promenade cafe a few times to get water/tea. We noticed that when the kids got out of their groups at 11, they seemed to just rove the ship out of control until their 1am curfew. I got into an elevator to find 4 teenagers sitting on the floor hanging out. Then I noticed that every floor was pressed because they were just riding up and down using the elevator as their own private little hangout. Annoying.

Wednesday - having been kept up most of the previous night by the workers we tried to sleep in a little before going into Grand Cayman. It was just too warm in our stateroom and we never could really rest, so about 11 we got up and went into Grand Cayman. Had a nice lunch at Margaritaville, checked out 7 mile beach and then went back to the ship.

Thursday/Thanksgiving - About 5:30am or so woke up to more work going on with the plumbing. It intermittently woke us up until about 8:30 when I woke up to a burning smell. It reminded me of the smell of molten lead/solder. It got worse and then our smoke alarm in the cabin started going off. It went off for about 3 minutes, while I went out into the hall to try and find someone. No one was around so whatever was being done was in a crawlspace above us. About 20 minutes later someone from Security came to our room asking about the smoke alarm. He seemed to be accusing us of smoking or something because when I told him it was probably from the work they were doing and why it smelled like burning metal int he room. He asked if our stateroom door was open at the time and I said no. He said that it couldn't have been that then because the door is sealed. We started to argue a bit when one of the stateroom attendants came by and said that it was from the welding they were doing which satisfied the security guy. We went by and again complained to guest relations about the temperature in our stateroom after one of our dinner companions complaining their room was freezing. They called maintenance but no one came by.

Friday, had a great time just hanging out on deck enjoying the weather. The BBQ by the pool was a great treat. I started feeling pretty sick late afternoon though and after the bbq vacated itself from me, I felt better. That night the wife got pretty sick and was up all night throwing up.

Saturday morning - did the self checkout and were off the ship and on the road in under an hour. Wife was sick for most of the day. We were both convinced it was the BBQ since I was still feeling queasy as well.

We both really enjoyed our dinner companions and the folks we met on the ship. Kidore in the Schooner bar was awesome as were our waiters for dinner. On the whole though, most of the cruise experience was pretty bad on the RC side of things. Since this was our delayed honeymoon/1 year anniversary, i think for most of the cruise we both acted like we weren't disappointed and then on the drive home I realized she felt the same way I did and just didn't want to ruin it for me.

I expected the food to be better in the WindJammer. Before we left, I was worried about gaining weight on the cruise but I ate so little that I think I lost a few pounds. I just couldn't stomach the cafeteria style of food that was served for lunch. I guess I just thought that Royal Caribbean was better than Carnival quality wise and I realize now that isn't the case. I only saw our stateroom attendant a couple of times. I could care less for towel animals but my wife kept commenting that we never got them but we finally got a couple towards the end of the cruise. Another thing that killed it for me was that I'm not a huge drinker, but I do like my diet cokes. I guess I just expected there to be some place to get a fountain drink diet coke but the one place they had that was in the WindJammer, but it was always out of order. For what they charged me for the soft drink package, I didn't expect it to be such a huge pain to get a drink. The cups were tiny and most of the bartenders were having to fill the glasses from two liter bottles so it was a huge pain for them. That just seems so inefficient compared to having it "on tap". Diet Coke by far seemed to be the most popular drink because they were always out of it or pouring the last little bit from a bottle to fill my glass. It was just one more think to make it less of an enjoyable experience. The more that I think about it, the more it bothers me that they never even attempted to do anything about our cabin temperature. I guess I expected them to at least tell us that they didn't find a problem? Rach and I discussed it tonight and I think if we had the chance to do it over, we would choose not to have gone.

I guess I'm wondering if this the typical experience for RC? Are any of the cruise companies better than this?

Well that's really too bad. I would not have been as tolerant of the situation as you obviously were. I'm surprised you didn't ask to be moved to another cabin, they may have been able to accommodate you. If and when you cruise again in the future do escalate your complaint about temperature, plumbing, construction, etc early and often. The fact that you complained about it on Sunday and there was no action taken until Tuesday night is a miss on RCI's part. Yes things do break but I can't imagine why they are working on this problem in the middle of the night????

As for the bottle of alcohol in the luggage, you are allowed two bottles of wine in your carry-on. This is a relatively new policy and there are still some things to be ironed out. But since you have a previous post about smuggling rum...then you really have no cause to complain about your late luggage. If you snuck alcohol onboard and it is being held in the naughty room it's because of a violation of policy. If your luggage isn't in your stateroom by the time you go to dinner you should ask your stateroom attendant to check on it.

You don't mention what you did on Sunday, Monday, or Thursday. Did you enjoy the ship, amenities, shows...anything? There seems to be a lot of focus on the negative and what went wrong (understandably) and I wonder if after taking two cruises and not really enjoying the overall experience ...maybe this isn't the right vacation choice for you?

Sometimes when things get off to a bad start everything else just magnifies the negative. Hopefully the next time out will be better for you!

I don't think this is typical at all for rccl, pls try another ship on rccl, we've never had any major problems at all, don't give up, i've been on the voyager of the seas and it was perfectly fine (same class), maybe try freedom class or especially oasis/allure, sorry you're experience was so bad.

Some complaints are valid, others are not.

Rocking and rolling ship, not a valid complaint. Cruising can be rough sometimes. Sea conditions vary greatly.

Locals being aggressive in Jamaica, not valid. Jamaica notoriously has aggressive individuals, and we never venture out there unless on a ship-sponsored excursion.

Lots of kids and teenagers, not valid....choosing to cruise during a holiday is always going to have lots of families and kids....we avoid it purposely.

Luggage not showing up, not valid. Wine is supposed to be "carried on" and not in the checked luggage.

Food...well, that's a personal issue. Some people are just more picky than others. I've always found something in the Windjammer that I've liked. There are many many choices there, and surely there had to be something good.

Other complaints, maintenance, etc, are absolutely valid and annoying. In 35 Royal cruises, we've had an issue or two, naturally. But, they've always made it "right" for us. Follow up with customer service (e-mail, phone call, etc), and perhaps they will do something for you. But, don't complain about the issues that are not within the cruise line's control. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the review and overall, Royal Caribbean is certainly not what you have experienced.

I got off Independence of the Seas last week. Our toilet was blocked and flooded the bathroom within 1.5hrs of us leaving port on the first day and just as we were about to go to dinner in MDR. We called maintenance and someone came up to the cabin within 5 mins and saw the problem. The guy told us to go to dinner and the issue will be sorted. When we came back to the cabin after dinner, the blocked toilet was indeed sorted and a message was left on the answer phone from guest relations asking if the problem has been properly fixed. I didn't reply to guest relations and a day later they called again and left a message again on phone, now that is what I called customer service.

Out of the 11 nights of my cruise, I saw my cabin attendant every day and we talked and laughed every morning and night. She was brilliant throughout my cruise.

Well that's really too bad. I would not have been as tolerant of the situation as you obviously were. I'm surprised you didn't ask to be moved to another cabin, they may have been able to accommodate you. If and when you cruise again in the future do escalate your complaint about temperature, plumbing, construction, etc early and often. The fact that you complained about it on Sunday and there was no action taken until Tuesday night is a miss on RCI's part. Yes things do break but I can't imagine why they are working on this problem in the middle of the night????

As for the bottle of alcohol in the luggage, you are allowed two bottles of wine in your carry-on. This is a relatively new policy and there are still some things to be ironed out. But since you have a previous post about smuggling rum...then you really have no cause to complain about your late luggage. If you snuck alcohol onboard and it is being held in the naughty room it's because of a violation of policy. If your luggage isn't in your stateroom by the time you go to dinner you should ask your stateroom attendant to check on it.

You don't mention what you did on Sunday, Monday, or Thursday. Did you enjoy the ship, amenities, shows...anything? There seems to be a lot of focus on the negative and what went wrong (understandably) and I wonder if after taking two cruises and not really enjoying the overall experience ...maybe this isn't the right vacation choice for you?

Sometimes when things get off to a bad start everything else just magnifies the negative. Hopefully the next time out will be better for you!

When we got to the port, we asked about the best way to carry on wine. Most of the RC people we asked said that we couldn't bring wine and when we showed them their own paperwork that said we could, they said they weren't aware of the policy, but in that case it should be in our checked bags. We had no other alcohol in our bags. When we got to security we again asked if we should have carried the wine on board or checked it. They didn't know but said that if we had it in our carry-ons many people did not know about the policy so it would have likely been difficult to get it on board.

The work being done in the middle of the night on Tuesday, was apparently scheduled. It made no sense to me though why they wouldn't do that work while we were in port in Falmouth and everyone was off the ship rather than keeping us awake all night at sea.

As for the other days. Sunday, we did the usual things, Bingo, shows, etc. I wasn't impressed with much I saw. Bingo was $32? Way too much. The shows were B versions of Vegas stuff. The comedian was very funny. Thursday we were in port at Cozumel. We did catch the Love and Marriage game show and Quest and those were entertaining at least.

I wasn't complaining about the rocking and rolling, it was just an observation. Jamaica same thing, just giving my viewpoint so others may avoid the situation.Kids weren't a problem most of the time, but honestly, the 1am curfew seems a bit late and pretty much everyone I talked to felt the same. I constantly witnessed the bartender at the Promenade cafe bar being asked by teens to spike their drinks. He was a young guy and while I never saw him do it we noticed that a few nights later some of the kids at the bar were behaving a bit intoxicated and he seemed to be pretty chummy with them. He was a really young guy and spent a lot of time flirting with the teen girls. I saw several bar customers get annoyed because they were waiting for his attention and he was talking to the teens. With regards to the wine, where is the policy stated that it was supposed to be carried on? I couldnt find it and none of the RC folks seems to even know that we were allowd to carry on wine...

Some complaints are valid, others are not.

Rocking and rolling ship, not a valid complaint. Cruising can be rough sometimes. Sea conditions vary greatly.

Locals being aggressive in Jamaica, not valid. Jamaica notoriously has aggressive individuals, and we never venture out there unless on a ship-sponsored excursion.

Lots of kids and teenagers, not valid....choosing to cruise during a holiday is always going to have lots of families and kids....we avoid it purposely.

Luggage not showing up, not valid. Wine is supposed to be "carried on" and not in the checked luggage.

Food...well, that's a personal issue. Some people are just more picky than others. I've always found something in the Windjammer that I've liked. There are many many choices there, and surely there had to be something good.

Other complaints, maintenance, etc, are absolutely valid and annoying. In 35 Royal cruises, we've had an issue or two, naturally. But, they've always made it "right" for us. Follow up with customer service (e-mail, phone call, etc), and perhaps they will do something for you. But, don't complain about the issues that are not within the cruise line's control. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the review, sorry your cruise had so many issues.

I do have one question though, why didn't you call guest relations, your stateroom attendant, security or anyone when your smoke detector was going off? That makes no sense to me.

We had just gotten back to sleep from being woken up before with the smell and noise. I opened the balcony door to let the odor out and then laid back down. I'd just gotten back to sleep when the alarm went off. I actually went out into the hallway to get the attendant, but I couldn't find him. When i got back to the room it had stopped. It was obvious that it was from the work they were doing and others were coming and going in the hallway normally so I wasn't worried about fire. To be honest, i just wanted to get a little more rest and I couldn't have cared less if the ship had burned down.

Earlier in the cruise, they had a lifeboat drill for the crew but didn't bother telling any of us passengers. We were sitting in our stateroom half dressed when the alarm tones started going off. We waited for some kind of announcement but nothing came so we quickly got dressed and headed out and down the hall when we finally ran into someone who said it was just a crew drill.

We’re booked on the Navigator for spring break. I’ve read so many positive things about the ship that I’m actually glad to read this. It’s an older ship and realistically there will be problems. This has educated me for what to do if we have these issues. This is similar to reading Tripadvisor reviews to understand what the problems are with a hotel to see if I can live with them once I’m there. So thanks for sharing and sorry you had a poor cruise.

Earlier in the cruise, they had a lifeboat drill for the crew but didn't bother telling any of us passengers. We were sitting in our stateroom half dressed when the alarm tones started going off. We waited for some kind of announcement but nothing came so we quickly got dressed and headed out and down the hall when we finally ran into someone who said it was just a crew drill.

The crew drill announcement isn't broadcast into the cabins, and if you don't have your stateroom door open, it's easy to miss. Somebody from the bridge does announce the drill 10-15 minutes in advance. I think it would be a nice gesture to put it in the Compass, but that's not how they do it.

I just checked the RCI website and nowhere in the Q&A does it say that you must carry your wine onto the ship. It's ridiculous IMO that the policy had been in place for over 2 weeks and port security still doesn't know.

The maintenance issue is disturbing. When we sailed last December, we simply couldn't get hot water, just lukewarm, in our cabin on Deck 10. I understand that ships wear out, but I'm starting to see more issues posted on CC, and it makes me wonder if the budget has been trimmed in that area, too...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience on your first RCI cruise. Although it isn't typical, I can also see why you wouldn't want to invest your money and time in another trip with them. We've had the occasional less-than-satisfactory experience, but they came after a long string of brilliant ones, so we are more inclined to shrug them off.

We have so many happy memories of cruises on Navigator and how well we were treated on that ship, that it saddens me that your experience was so unpleasant.

I know what it is to be in a hot room because one cruise on Enchantment our room was so hot, we could barely sleep, so I know it can happen.

Our experience has been to lower our espectations a bit on older ships unless they have just been through a major rennovation. Even then, however, they are still older ships and plumbing and cooling can be problematic.

For great entertainment the Freedom Class ships (Freedom, Liberty and Independence) and Oasis and Allure are hard to beat.

If you really want the top notch entertainment, perhaps a vacation in Las Vegas or New York City would be preferable.

I hope you'll give Royal caribbean another chance and check out some of the ships I suggested above.

We were on this sailing as well, and I am not shocked by your experience. I did not get my luggage until around 9pm even though my family had their bags around 3pm(the bags were loaded at the same time). I was almost in full blown panic mode. I think everyone overpacked for this trip because at 7pm when we should have left dock at 5:30, they were still loading luggage onto the ship. When my bag arrived we realized the luggage tag the porter had put on for us came off my bag. I had very visible luggage tags w/ID so they were able to figure where it was suppose to be. We were on deck 9, and they were doing some sort of repair work during the day in the hallway with wall panels down. On the 2nd or 3rd day we noticed the carpet was wet by the bathroom door. They had been working on a panel outside our room the day before. Maintenance was there to check it out and said it was probably leaked when they were working and offered to bring in a large blower. I decided not to do that, but oddly the carpet stayed wet the whole time. We just ignored it. Our room key stopped working, and after having them remake our cards and still didn't work, maintenance came and found out it was the door itself. However they were pretty quick to respond and it continued to work the rest of the cruise. There was alot more movement of the ship noticed all day Sunday. Not sure if it was true, but we heard people saying the ship was moving faster to catch up on missed time since we left late. We ultimately had a great time on the cruise. We have previously been on Splendor and Freedom, and I realized that the Navigator size ship is my favorite. It seemed less crowded than the Freedom, but with much more to do than the smaller ships. The ship needs a renovation, and hopefully alot of the problems will be corrected.

We had just gotten back to sleep from being woken up before with the smell and noise. I opened the balcony door to let the odor out and then laid back down. I'd just gotten back to sleep when the alarm went off. I actually went out into the hallway to get the attendant, but I couldn't find him. When i got back to the room it had stopped. It was obvious that it was from the work they were doing and others were coming and going in the hallway normally so I wasn't worried about fire. To be honest, i just wanted to get a little more rest and I couldn't have cared less if the ship had burned down.

Am I reading this correctly ??? I dont think I am though.....If I knew they had been welding and now I smell smoke, and the smoke alarm is going off, I'd be calling like RIGHT NOW.....fire on a ship is nothing to mess with.......the hell with sleep. I don't do good in sleeping in life boats myself <shaking head>

We have been on the Navigator, many times, and they were our most disappointing cruises we have experienced. Many of the same things the OP and others have pointed out, were just a part of our bad experiences on that particular ship. I just do not understand what it is about that ship seems to plague us, but we are now paranoid about sailing on her again LOL. We are D+ with Royal so can say this with experience.

Am I reading this correctly ??? I dont think I am though.....If I knew they had been welding and now I smell smoke, and the smoke alarm is going off, I'd be calling like RIGHT NOW.....fire on a ship is nothing to mess with.......the hell with sleep. I don't do good in sleeping in life boats myself <shaking head>

I believe that OP was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. Sleep deprivation will do that to you.

I believe that OP was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. Sleep deprivation will do that to you.

That is correct. It was obvious that there was no actual fire and there was no visible smoke. I know how those detectors work and sometimes certain particles in the air such as are emitted by welding/soldering can set them off when there is no visible smoke. I wasn't worried once I saw there was no visible smoke and I smelled the fumes.

Thanks for your candid review - I'm sorry things didn't go smoothly. We have been on Voyager, Mariner, Rhapsody and Freedom and had great experiences. I wonder if some of the issues could be attributed to being the first sailing after the transatlantic - those always seem to have some issues. I think that would definitely explain the luggage situation since the porters haven't loaded a Royal ship since the spring and are out of practice. As others said, holiday sailings are overrun with the kids and teens. I've seen the prowling gangs of teens too and wish that Royal's security could do a better job with them - and the parents too!

I'm also guessing that Navigator has not converted to the new menus. I hope they will be caught up by the time we sail in March. Escargot every night was greatness.

Can you tell us a little bit about what type of entertainment was in the Schooner Bar and in the Pub?

I've experienced the water issues on cruises before - but we were experienced enough to plan ahead to have water for ourselves in case of emergency. I hope you let them know about the BBQ - sounds like some food wasn't properly prepared or stored.

Thanks again - hope they get their act together soon!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I, too, am sorry that you had so many issues. The issues you mentioned would've definitely gotten to me as well. I think sometimes you run into that, for whatever reason there just seems to be too many things that go wrong. Been on a couple like that myself.

I would really suggest you try another cruise with Royal-I have over 40 with them and most have been excellent. I was just on the Navigator in Feb and loved the ship, had no problems. I think I'm in agreement with the above poster who wondered if a cruise on a ship so close to its return from overseas makes a world of a difference. I don't think they've got their act together yet with the NAV out of NOLA.

I actually took a cruise on the Grandeur out of NOLA a few years back and it was about the same as you explained...it was a bit of a nightmare at the port and then some issues onboard as well. Have sailed the GR many times though so that specific cruise didn't deter me.

Give them another try!

Sorry you had a disappointing cruise. Like others have said, it's not indicative of the norm on an RCI cruise. We're on her next week and hoping for the best. After reading too many CC threads, I've learned Jamaica on your own is always a challenge, cruising on Thanksgiving comes with loads of kids, and post TA cruises seem to always have delayed boardings. That doesn't explain all the issues but I wouldn't give up on RCI based on that one experience. Happy cruising.

I was on this sailing of the Navigator, and the captain did announce that there would be a drill twice that morning, around 10:00 AM just before the alarm tones were sounded. Yes they were loud, but the ship was in port and most guest are not on the ship. I would rather see that RCI is training their personnel with the safety precautions needed than to complain about it.

Oh and I was also on deck 10 just down the hall from you and the only maintenance we saw was right near the aft elevators and heading towards the front of the ship, not very close to your cabin.

Yes, there were somethings about this cruise that did not sit right with me either, some were with RCI and some not, but it was not enough to ruin my trip.

Archived