Norovirus or just lots of sick people??

sailbynite

Currently on The Riviera T/A. Several people have been out sick with stomach/intestinal ailments (all the correct symptoms of The Norwalk Virus). Today at trivia, the CD announced the ship did NOT want their pencils back. There is definitely more chlorine in the water (shower/faucets).

I know of at least 8 people who have been ill this last week.

Anybody know more about the Norovirus?

Currently on The Riviera T/A. Several people have been out sick with stomach/intestinal ailments (all the correct symptoms of The Norwalk Virus). Today at trivia, the CD announced the ship did NOT want their pencils back. There is definitely more chlorine in the water (shower/faucets).

I know of at least 8 people who have been ill this last week.

I know that I had it once and I don't want it again!:eek:

Sorry to hear that!!

I hope they get the ship cleaned up soon

Wash your hands often & if you are sick stay in the cabin

Had a bug on Marina on our last cruise ..it was not noro but still not nice to have to stick close to the washroom for the day

Lyn

CDC site

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/index.html

Edited by LHT28

What is the ship's current itinerary and location? I am unable to find that information on the website, although I see that it is a T/A.

I think they arrive on the 29th in Miami

They will not be getting off very quickly

We had the CDC inspection & ship was not cleared until after 9am

rough-seas-1.jpgHow does a layman distinguish between common Mal de Mer and something more serious on a NOVEMBER Transatlantic?

My grandmother, (who crossed forty times) was terrified of flying but always said that she would rather sit on the wing than cross the Atlantic at this time of year.

rough-seas-1.jpgHow does a layman distinguish between common Mal de Mer and something more serious on a NOVEMBER Transatlantic?

My grandmother, (who crossed forty times) was terrified of flying but always said that she would rather sit on the wing than cross the Atlantic at this time of year.

To put in bluntly - one gives you diarrhea and the other one doesn't (any month of the year) - you can decide for yourself which one is which :D

Edited by Paulchili

I had the Norovirus a couple of years ago after leaving Grand Cayman (I blamed it on all those mega ships in town) and this Sept. I got a little seasick on a very rough crossing from Iceland to NY that sailed through the remnants of Hurricane Leslie. Believe me, it is easy to tell the difference. :eek:

I know that I had it once and I don't want it again!:eek:

I'll second that emotion! I had got norovirus last year in Alaska. There's no comparison to sea sickness. Basically, I was I couldn't control things coming out of either end. It lasted for days.

Bob

Today at trivia, the CD announced the ship did NOT want their pencils back.

We used to live in CT and maybe 8 yrs ago Norovirus went around landside in our neighborhood :(

Ship's doctor once told me that if they suspect Noro, one of the first things they will do is shut down the guest self-service laundries (apparently it is too difficult to enforce "all wash must be at hottest temp" and/or the hottest temp isn't hot enough).

Stay healthy!

I can tell you absolutely there is no Norovirus on Riviera..

Jancruz1

Are there many sick people ?

On the Marina in 2011 we had some bug most who had it for 1-2 days, they did finally take some of the self serve items from the buffet (not that there is much to remove)

I managed to get it twice :(

I later read that it was E-coli

Hope everyone is taking precautions

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I can tell you absolutely there is no Norovirus on Riviera..

Jancruz1

Jan, I always value your comments.

Could you please tell us how you absolutely know there is no Norovirus on Riviera?

I'm not challenging your statement, I'd just like to know how you confirmed this information.

Could you please tell us how you absolutely know there is no Norovirus on Riviera?

I'm not challenging your statement, I'd just like to know how you confirmed this information.

My guess is she has sources for information that we would find amazing

Directly with my good friend on the ship

Jancruz1

I had the Norovirus a couple of years ago after leaving Grand Cayman (I blamed it on all those mega ships in town) and this Sept. I got a little seasick on a very rough crossing from Iceland to NY that sailed through the remnants of Hurricane Leslie. Believe me, it is easy to tell the difference. :eek:

Whitecaps...bow wave...heavy spindrift?

I've never been clear about what distinguishes norovirus from what we used to refer to as plain old stomach flu. I'm not even sure there is a distinction. If there's no noro on the ship, then what is making people sick? (Not being alarmist, au contraire, just wondering.)

I can't answer your question since I don't know the answer (!) but I DO know you can get those systems from a number of problems.

Our last day in Nairobi when we did a photo safari many, MANY years ago we had lunch at a very nice restaurant and I got terribly sick afterwards. I was the only one who had a problem. I had the nasties for several days. (We flew to Amsterdam that night and stayed there for several days so I had time to recover before we actually flew home. But that flight to Amsterdam was a real horror!)

I've always assumed that it was the lunch that did me in, but it could easily have been something I ate elsewhere. I've always assumed it was something I ate, but that in itself is also an assumption.

I used to ignore all those hand sanitizers you run into all over the ship, but now I use them religiously.

Mura

I agree, Wendy. Certainly it wasn't norovirus.

I spent the first day in Amsterdam pretty much in bed, then started venturing out but not too far from the hotel ... because we never knew when I'd have to dash back.

I was okay by the next day as I recall.

Enough of my intestinal difficulties ...