Books to Read Before a Panama Canal Cruise with Princess

sjmbruce

I meant to read a lot before my cruise....but somehow 180+ days became less than a few weeks. So....are there any books you can recommend that I read? The most important ones, quick reads, the panama canal, people and culture, ect.

I won't kid myself and think that I will finish them before I leave, but I will read a few on the plane and during the first two sea days.

Thanks!

"Path Between The Seas" by David McCullough is an excellent history of the Panama Canal, from the early attempt by the French, through the American building period. It's easy to read, and really gives you a good insight into how difficult it was to get the Canal built.

"Path Between The Seas" by David McCullough is an excellent history of the Panama Canal, from the early attempt by the French, through the American building period. It's easy to read, and really gives you a good insight into how difficult it was to get the Canal built.

It's also a big brick of a book, not a quick read. Should have been read six months ago...The paperback version is 700 pages. It is available for Kindle. EM

The David McCullough book is the best one to read. There will also be books on the ship you can purchase.

PBS has "An American Experience" documentary on the Panama Canal if you're interested. http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=11027994&cp=1378003.1412580&view=all&clickid=lftnav_sbs_txt&parentPage=family

If you can only read one book, this is the one.

Absolutely. It not only gives all the technical details, but also goes into such behind-the-legend things as the French debacle, the stupidity around malaria, and how sleazy the American government was in dealing with the Colombians and Panamanians.

Anyone who can finish it in a couple of days has my admiration.

I agree... "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough is an excellent book on the Panama Canal history.

Another good book is...

"Panama Canal by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond.

We've done it twice ...Westbound & Eastbound and both PC cruises were great! We'll do it again when the new channel is finished for that experience too! :cool:

Enjoy Your Cruise!

Pat :)

Another Richard Detrich book is "Cruising the Panama Canal 1914-2014." If you're doing a full transit he takes you on a mythical ship the MV Just Cruising eastbound and westbound - the two sections of the book. Especially helpful if you are doing a full transit. It is a blow by blow through the canal on things to look for at what spots on the canal. That, along with a lot of history and what exactly goes on with the ship. e.g. Going through the Panama Canal is the only place where the ship's captain is NOT in charge of the ship. He takes orders from the canal pilot.

An easy read and great reference book. Available at Amzon for $21.14.

Enjoy the trip...we loved it and did it twice it was so interesting.

I meant to read a lot before my cruise....but somehow 180+ days became less than a few weeks. So....are there any books you can recommend that I read? The most important ones, quick reads, the panama canal, people and culture, ect.

I won't kid myself and think that I will finish them before I leave, but I will read a few on the plane and during the first two sea days.

Thanks!

There is also a History Channel "Modern Marvels" dvd on the building/history of the canal. I found it on Amazon , under $10, you might be able to find it online, or on cable. it was very well done.

I agree that if you only read one book, The Path Between the Seas is the one. For a slightly different view, I suggest Panama Fever, by Matthew Parker. It's not better, not worse, just another viewpoint. Reading at least one of these will greatly enhance your Panama canal passage.

Archived