Norovirus & hand sanitisers

I believe that cruise lines have a very low/slow response to any infection control on their ships.

When we traveled to China on the Cherry blossom cruise in 2011 (Sun Princess was diverted to China instead of Japan due to the BIG earthquake and N reactor blowing up)

Our ship was contaminated with a bad flu bug. Everyone had it, got it or was getting it. (It put us in our cabin [our choice] with 39C temps) It was so bad NSW Health flew in 2000+ flu vaccinations for everyone on the ship into Korea!

Anyway I saw many sick people walking around the ship. One man 3 rows in front of us in the Princess Theater was very very sick...sneezing, coughing, holding his nose constantly with his tissues. No thought of the folks around him. In my opinion he should have been confined to his cabin as he was obviously contaminating everyone he came in close contact with…including us - yes that’s when we caught it a few days later.

When I asked staff the next day, if they had the authority to confine PAX to their cabins for the duration of their contamination, I was answered with "we are not a authoritarian state"

On returning home this blaze comment and attitude to infection control onboard ship got me very cross because I knew PAX were asked to remain in their cabins for noro so why not for this illness??????

Why can staff confine PAX for noro and not the flu????? Surely there is some duty of care in both cases……..most cross here

What do others think about this issue????

:confused:

for one I support any measure that will assit with the control of infection while on board!

I just went to the Soul Pattinson Chemist at Pitt St Mall Sydney and bought 2 more small bottles of Hands First at $2.95. They are selling the large one for $4.95.

I am not associated with Hands First nor Soul Pattinson, I only found out about Hands First in this forum. As I have 2 little kids and the fact that Voyager does not seem to be able to get rid of Noro, I pay extra care and precaution.

For those who don't live in Sydney. This chemist is about 10-15 mins walk from Circular Quay where most of the bigger ships will sail from. Once you find Pitt St at the Circular Quay end, keep walking straight until you reach the pedestrian mall, the chemist is about the 6th shop on your left. It is opens 7 days a week (except public holidays I guess) , not sure about the hours though.

Thank you that is great to know:)

I realise how noro is spread, and have been debating with Barry on his suggestion that it is mainly spread by people vomiting. I don't believe so.

Maybe this from Wiki may throw some extra light on the subject......

"Persistence

The norovirus can survive for long periods outside a human host depending on the surface and temperature conditions: 12 hours on hard surfaces, and up to 12 days on contaminated fabrics,[43] and it can survive for months, maybe even years in contaminated still water.[44] A study done in 2006 found the virus on several surfaces used for food preparation 7 days after contamination.[45]"

I classify myself as a survivor....I have posted elsewhere our regime of hand cleaning (incl. HandsFirst), non hand contact with all chairs and handrails.:D

IGA Signature Anti-bacterial wipes also have Benzalkonium Chloride in the ingredients as does Dettol Refresh Anti-bacterial hand wash. Hope this helps those who don’t have a chemist nearby or like me who live in a small town.:)

Have stocked up on Hands First!

For those of you who know Sydney, Hands First is also available from Blooms the Chemist, Shop 12, Surry Hills Shopping Centre; cnr. of Cleveland & Baptist Street. Redfern

At Soul Pattinson Chemist, Pitt Street Mall - They've still got some, but can see them selling out fast!

We are currently on board Voyager of the seas - yes we were being served all our food - until yesterday. No announcement- just serving spoons facing the other way. There are hand sanitisers everywhere, dining rooms, cafes, day spa, guest services, kids club, getting on and off at ports - pretty much at any entrance to a public room or area.

Staff can be seen constantly cleaning surfaces such as banisters, elevator buttons etc. Hand washing instructions are playing on the tv. Have not heard of many having been sick though. One we heard of early on, but nothing since. We eat at the wind jammer 3 times a day and everyone is being very pro active with cleanliness. Just wash your hands regularly and use sanitisers in between.

We are currently on board Voyager of the seas - yes we were being served all our food - until yesterday. No announcement- just serving spoons facing the other way. There are hand sanitisers everywhere, dining rooms, cafes, day spa, guest services, kids club, getting on and off at ports - pretty much at any entrance to a public room or area.

Staff can be seen constantly cleaning surfaces such as banisters, elevator buttons etc. Hand washing instructions are playing on the tv. Have not heard of many having been sick though. One we heard of early on, but nothing since. We eat at the wind jammer 3 times a day and everyone is being very pro active with cleanliness. Just wash your hands regularly and use sanitisers in between.

Thanks for posting.

Sounds like they may be breaking the cycle then if you are allowed to self serve again in the Windjammer.

Hopefully it will be reduced to no Noro cases by the time we cruise in a month.:)

We travelled on VOS 8 Dec, a family of 7 in 2 cabins. We are VERY particular with minimal touching of surfaces/utensils, hand washing, sanitizing etc as my son has very low immunity. We even carry little bottles of dettol antibac on our lanyards. That being said, 2 of us did come down with novo one after the other - days 7 and 9. I cannot praise RCI highly enough for the care, concern and follow up they provided both my son and I. They were very prompt in the medical centre and we walked out with a chemist!!! all at NO COST. Although 'quarantined' to our cabin for 24 hours, all movies, room service were at NO COST and the medical centre, room service and guest services phoned numerous times in that 24 hours. We also received a letter to our stateroom with a 'cruise credit'. If you are wondering if anyone has been 'quarantined', look above the stateroom doors as they place a yellow coloured square magnet above the doors. Those staterooms are also cleaned last and they have strict cleaning protocols. Unfortunately those who don't sanitize and disregard the health of others eg come on board sick jeopardize the health of both cruisers and staff.

We travelled on VOS 8 Dec, a family of 7 in 2 cabins. We are VERY particular with minimal touching of surfaces/utensils, hand washing, sanitizing etc as my son has very low immunity. We even carry little bottles of dettol antibac on our lanyards. That being said, 2 of us did come down with novo one after the other - days 7 and 9. I cannot praise RCI highly enough for the care, concern and follow up they provided both my son and I. They were very prompt in the medical centre and we walked out with a chemist!!! all at NO COST. Although 'quarantined' to our cabin for 24 hours, all movies, room service were at NO COST and the medical centre, room service and guest services phoned numerous times in that 24 hours. We also received a letter to our stateroom with a 'cruise credit'. If you are wondering if anyone has been 'quarantined', look above the stateroom doors as they place a yellow coloured square magnet above the doors. Those staterooms are also cleaned last and they have strict cleaning protocols. Unfortunately those who don't sanitize and disregard the health of others eg come on board sick jeopardize the health of both cruisers and staff.

Hi, We are going on VOS Jan 13th and have purchased wipes and hands first bact lotion. If you are unlucky and come down with it and go to the medical centre and have noro is that visit free?

And if one peerson in the cabin gets it do they quarantine ecvery one in the cabin?

Would appreciate a reply.

Regards Zanny:)

It's being reported in the Brisbane Courier Mail today there has been an outbreak of norovirus on two Carribbean cruises.

Suspected norovirus hits 400 on two liners

AN outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea has sickened more than 400 vacationers and crew members aboard two Christmas-time cruises in the Caribbean, the CDC says.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said on Saturday it was still conducting lab tests to determine the pathogen, but it indicated it might be norovirus, which is highly contagious and typically transmitted from person to person.

Both ships, Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and Princess Cruises' Emerald Princess, reported the outbreak to the CDC, following guidelines that come into play when more than two per cent of the passengers and crew are hit.

A similar outbreak earlier in the month hit the P&O Oriana liner on a 10-night Baltic cruise, infecting about 300 of the 1843 travellers aboard.

Such outbreaks are not uncommon, said Jaret Ames, of the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program.

"Outbreaks occur throughout the year although there is a seasonal pattern of increased activity during the winter months," he said.

He said in an enclosed area like a ship - as well as in places like hospitals and nursing homes - the illness can spread quickly from person to person.

"Those with symptoms many times circulate among those who are healthy; if they have an event of public vomiting or they don't wash their hands well before touching surfaces, certain illnesses such as norovirus are pread easily from one ill person to one or more well persons, and that illness spreads along that pattern," he explained.

The public health agency said both liners had taken steps to stem the outbreak, including increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures, and keeping passengers informed.

On the Queen Mary 2, which embarked from New York on December 22 for a 10-day cruise, 194 passengers and 11 crew members of the more than 3800 people on board have reported being ill, the CDC reported on its web site.

And on the Emerald Princess, owned by Princess Cruises, which returned to Fort Lauderdale on December 27, 189 passengers and 31 crew members of the more than 4400 people on board fell sick, it said.

It's being reported in the Brisbane Courier Mail today there has been an outbreak of norovirus on two Carribbean cruises.

Suspected norovirus hits 400 on two liners

AN outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea has sickened more than 400 vacationers and crew members aboard two Christmas-time cruises in the Caribbean, the CDC says.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said on Saturday it was still conducting lab tests to determine the pathogen, but it indicated it might be norovirus, which is highly contagious and typically transmitted from person to person.

Both ships, Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and Princess Cruises' Emerald Princess, reported the outbreak to the CDC, following guidelines that come into play when more than two per cent of the passengers and crew are hit.

A similar outbreak earlier in the month hit the P&O Oriana liner on a 10-night Baltic cruise, infecting about 300 of the 1843 travellers aboard.

Such outbreaks are not uncommon, said Jaret Ames, of the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program.

"Outbreaks occur throughout the year although there is a seasonal pattern of increased activity during the winter months," he said.

He said in an enclosed area like a ship - as well as in places like hospitals and nursing homes - the illness can spread quickly from person to person.

"Those with symptoms many times circulate among those who are healthy; if they have an event of public vomiting or they don't wash their hands well before touching surfaces, certain illnesses such as norovirus are pread easily from one ill person to one or more well persons, and that illness spreads along that pattern," he explained.

The public health agency said both liners had taken steps to stem the outbreak, including increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures, and keeping passengers informed.

On the Queen Mary 2, which embarked from New York on December 22 for a 10-day cruise, 194 passengers and 11 crew members of the more than 3800 people on board have reported being ill, the CDC reported on its web site.

And on the Emerald Princess, owned by Princess Cruises, which returned to Fort Lauderdale on December 27, 189 passengers and 31 crew members of the more than 4400 people on board fell sick, it said.

Its not good that so many people are sick,:( but its good to know its not just Voyager.

I eat at the chuck wagon all the time and have never been sick.

Regards Elaine.

Same here Elaine...chuck wagon, MDR, ashore....never bothered with the hand sanitizer either...nothing wrong with washing your hands with good old fashioned soap and hot water for 2 minutes. We have never been sick either ( touch wood.....then wash my hands with soap and water again:p) even on cruises that were Noro infected.

Hi, We are going on VOS Jan 13th and have purchased wipes and hands first bact lotion. If you are unlucky and come down with it and go to the medical centre and have noro is that visit free?

And if one peerson in the cabin gets it do they quarantine ecvery one in the cabin?

Would appreciate a reply.

Regards Zanny:)

YES, visit to medical centre for gastro/noro was FREE. NO, only 'sick' person in cabin is quarantined, not all the occupants.

As an aside - We overheard another family seeing doctor for suspected croup for their son and the nurse was letting them know that it would cost approx $100 (which would be covered by their travel insurance)

YES, visit to medical centre for gastro/noro was FREE. NO, only 'sick' person in cabin is quarantined, not all the occupants.

As an aside - We overheard another family seeing doctor for suspected croup for their son and the nurse was letting them know that it would cost approx $100 (which would be covered by their travel insurance)

Thank You for the answer . so all we can do is take all the precautions and hope all will be well. Keep those hands washed and sanitized.

Zanny

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a great deal of discussion about norovirus and the precautions needed to avoid getting sick. I have found this information very helpful.

It seems that there is an outbreak on most cruises at some time.... One of the early precautions is to remove the self serve option at the buffet area.

This has happened on every cruise on which I have travelled, (hey, maybe it's me!)....:eek:

However, I can't understand why the buffet is not permanently served by the staff from the beginning of the cruise as it is obviously a source for catching the virus. I have never found this to be a problem as I could still eat whatever, and in the amounts I desired. :confused:

I would not like this one spreading on a cruise ship.

A couple of interesting articles from the NZ Herald..

Kiwis warned about deadly norovirus strain

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10859468

New norovirus strain linked to NZ death

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10861361

On Arcadia last year, massive outbreak of Noro, four hundred pax got it including me. According to the South African Ship's Doctor.

I was Quarantined for 4 days. Many got the noro, but failed to report in to the medical centre.

A real worry on the ships these days, lack of hygiene the cause.

First time in about 15 cruises I have caught 'The Bug or the Virus.' And it was the first time I sailed on a Pommy ship. I was not overley impressed with the hygeine of the pax, non handwashing in toilets, non use of hand steriliser at MDR and Buffet entries. Also a noticeable lack of cleaning of hand rails on stairs, corridors and toilet cleaning by staff.

Puts me off going on another British ship.

There has been a great deal of discussion about norovirus and the precautions needed to avoid getting sick. I have found this information very helpful.

It seems that there is an outbreak on most cruises at some time.... One of the early precautions is to remove the self serve option at the buffet area.

This has happened on every cruise on which I have travelled, (hey, maybe it's me!)....:eek:

However, I can't understand why the buffet is not permanently served by the staff from the beginning of the cruise as it is obviously a source for catching the virus. I have never found this to be a problem as I could still eat whatever, and in the amounts I desired. :confused:

At times, I have also noted that some staff do not appear to be confident enough to challenge passengers who do not use the sanitiser or demonstrate less than hygienic food handling practices. Once again, this may well be the cause of many catching the virus. It is frustrating when you ensure that you and your family always do the right thing and others continue to put themselves and others at risk. :(

Archived