Query for Bill Leiber: Departure of 13-Jan-2013 Temples & Beaches Voyage

Kamlee

Hello to Azamara Journey Jan. 13, 2013 Guests -

Today we received final approval for the revised 12-night Azamara Journey January 14, 2013 itinerary which will still include all the same ports as the original 13-night voyage.

DAY DATE PORT OF CALL ARRIVE DEPART

MON 14 Jan Singapore 10:00 PM

TUE 15 Jan At Sea

WED 16 Jan At Sea

THU 17Jan Semarang, Indonesia 5:00 AM 10:00 AM

FRI 18 Jan At Sea

SAT 19 Jan Lombok, Indonesia 7:00 AM 5:30 PM

SUN 20 Jan Komodo, Indonesia 9:00 AM 6:30 PM

MON 21 Jan Benoa, Bali, Indonesia 1:30 PM

TUE 22 Jan Benoa, Bali, Indonesia 0:00 PM

WED 23 Jan Celukan Bawang, Bali, Indonesia 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU 24 Jan At Sea

FRI 25 Jan At Sea

SAT 26 Jan Singapore 7:00 AM

Guests booked through travel agents as well as those booked directly, who choose to sail on the revised 12-Night sailing on January 14, 2013 will receive a pro-rated refund for one night. Guests who have booked air through Azamara Club Cruises or ChoiceAir, will receive an extra night hotel stay in Singapore prior to the voyage. Alternatively, their flight will be adjusted to fly in a day later. Cruise only guests will be reimbursed up to $250 per person for an extra night hotel stay in Singapore prior to the cruise. A faxed copy of the hotel charges assessed must be provided for reimbursement.

Also, if guests prefer, they can re-book on any Azamara sailing in 2013 (excluding: JR Aug 18, JR Dec 23, QS Jan 31, QS May 23, QS Jul 14 and QS Dec 28), in like accommodations, at protected rates.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel. If you have specific questions about your reservation, please contact your travel agent or your local booking office.

We apologize for any inconvenience this unexpected change may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

hello bill,

what does his exactly mean,will we get only the cost for the accomodation ?

eg the price for that will be,let say only 150 $ pP,but there are costs for meals etc ,will the amount paying by azamara only 150$ or 250 $ as a lump sum?

Gerhard

Hello Runaways -

I'm pleased to inform you that I've received confirmation from our revenue management group that in the scenario you presented, in which you decide on choosing a different sailing at the "protected" rate, that you would receive the same upgraded category that you had on the current sailing at the same rate.

I consider that "walking the talk" about protection!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

'Walking the talk' indeed! Thank you very much for this clarification. Re our upcoming Indonesian trip, we are STILL waiting for our Australian agent to get back to us to clarify if we are to get the 'up to $250 pp' for an extra hotel night, or some other hotel arrangement because we booked our flights through Azamara Australia. We booked a flight to Singapore 2 days before the original sailing date, and want to keep the flight as booked. I would have thought we would just arrange a 1 night extension of our accommodation and then send the account in for reimbursement, but the agent said she would "need to find out what the situation is" because we booked air through Azamara. Oh well, the process continues.

Any further news regarding refunds of our booked shore excursions being the amount charged to my credit card by Celebrity Cruises - which included Overseas Transaction Fees - not just the shore excursion price? We haven't done anything about the shore excursions pending clarification of these several points. All these issues will determine if we continue or cancel our trip - hopefully continue! Thanks again.

Prices for tour seen to be 50-60 % more expensive . Why? We are still doing same tour just on different day. Please can someone justify?

Could it be that the booking procedure is the same as before - i.e. the full shore excursion price comes up initially, but is discounted by 50% at the end stage of the booking process? Hope so! It would have been much simpler just to transfer the original shore excursion reservations/payments (i.e. the tour price plus any Overseas Transaction Fees, which we have attracted) rather than refund and re-book.

Hello January 14 Azamara Journey Travelers -

I've learned that the 50% discount was not activated in the shore excursion system and that the pricing should be corrected very early on Thursday. Also, shore excursions are still in the process of being added for Bali and Singapore. Hopefully, these corrections will have been achieved by tomorrow. We're sorry for the confusion that you have experienced.

I want to let you know that the shore excursion department is working on an improved system for the rescheduling your pre-paid shore excursions for the original January 13 departure so that it will not be necessary for you to rebook your shore excursions; however, the operational process is being tested and until it has been approved, I'm unable to provide you with more details.

Thank you again for your patience as we work on the shore excursion modifications.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I've learned that the 50% discount was not activated in the shore excursion system and that the pricing should be corrected very early on Thursday. Also, shore excursions are still in the process of being added for Bali and Singapore. Hopefully, these corrections will have been achieved by tomorrow. We're sorry for the confusion that you have experienced.

I want to let you know that the shore excursion department is working on an improved system for the rescheduling your pre-paid shore excursions for the original January 13 departure so that it will not be necessary for you to rebook your shore excursions; however, the operational process is being tested and until it has been approved, I'm unable to provide you with more details.

Thank you again for your patience as we work on the shore excursion modifications.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

What a mess. Have cancelled booked excurtions as per prious instructions.

Think will now wait for dust to settle.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Oh, please let it be that we don't have to cancel & rebook shore excursions. That will make things a LOT easier. Christmas madness is nearly upon us, plus hot weather, and we are starting to get just a bit cranky thinking about all this. If shore excursions are simply transferred over (please!), then the only outstanding issue will be receiving new E-DOCS with correct sailing date, luggage tags, etc. Our agent is yet to advise when we might expect them to be emailed - but hopefully Azamara Australia will be able to get that out to us within the week so we can all relax again and start looking forward to our holiday instead of juggling emails and paperwork. See, I am grumpy - sorry!

Runaways, continue the grumpiness, and I shall feed you to the dragons! Just whereabouts are you in Australia? Wherever it is, since you will be traveling north, it should get much cooler for you, as you get closer to the North Pole, so don't fret. I did cancel all of our shore bookings, Kamlee reported he was able to rebook, I haven't seen the new listings on the US website. My cancelling was a breeze, and re-booking shouldn't be too much of an issue. DW did some homework on Komodo Dragons, and has advised me that is not joining me on the nature hike after all. So much for love and romance in the tropics. She thought they were very large iguanas, which in my opinion, they are. At this point, it's just packing up. We got our luggage tickets last week. Hotels are all arranged, although I still have to submit the extra day over to Azamara. Influenza has struck the State of Georgia, so I am looking forward to my escape in 4½ weeks. As Scorpio has said, the dust will settle, we shall all soon be ensconced in our 21st Century Torture Chambers enjoying the views from 35,000 feet, some of us for longer than others, then it's on to Dim Sum and Singapore Chili Crab. If the worst that life can dish out to us is confused shore excursions, I say we've got it pretty good.

David

I admire your patience Dr H, I am very upset and wonder if 1 day will indeed be enough to finish off the work in dry dock. I was so excited and I'm feeling very glass half empty at the moment. My fear is that Java will be eliminated from the schedule so as to keep close to the original plan and if that is the case I would want to cancel my trip. I realise it is useless to second guess and that we will have to wait for a missive from Azamara but I hope they don't take too long in doing so.

Thanks Kamlee for alerting us to this change of schedule

G2G

I have returned home today 13th December from a long haul trip to a message on my answermachine from my UK Travel Agent - This was left earlier today yet Cruise Critic seems to have known about this for a week or more

My TA say they have only just received communication from Azamara

I also am extremely upset at this significant change - I have seen enough of Singapore in the past not to want an extra day there at the expense of a days cruising and certainly not at the day rate of the cruise. The itinerary I booked gave breaks in the intensity of shore excursion to relax and recharge - now we are being forced to accept a sandwich of sea days and an exhausting round of ports without a decent break Three consecutive days in Bali I do not find an improvement

I have spent considerable time and effort booking both ship excursions and independent ones to find all aborted to different dates

Azamara seem to generate a disproportionate loyalty and affection from its North American clients whereas we Europeans seem to be at best an afterthought

I await with interest the options offered but my current inclination (assuming I can) is to cancel a trip and itinerary (in a particular sequence !) which was eagerly anticipated. The product i contracted to buy is no longer on offer and I am less than happy with what is being proposed. Bill Lieber tried on this thread to give some information but i'm sorry it's "lost in translation" as for me it remains less than clear

Jenny, you have the option of cancelling, or rebooking a different cruise later in the year without penalty. AZ is doing a pro rated refund for the lost day, and covering up to $250. for the extra hotel day in Singapore, and I believe they will re-arrange your air travel if it was booked through them. The "sea sandwich" as you described will be a bit heavy, but the we still have the 2 sea days going and coming. Basically, we lost a sea day without losing our ports. Obviously it's your choice, and I hear you, I felt the same way (for about 4 hours) and am still looking forward to this trip. My wife once told me that if I didn't go through life tired, I was missing something. I never in a lifetime ever expected to see the Wallace Line, or a Komodo Dragon, or an Indonesian Volcano or Beach. We live in an imperfect world - things happen. I hope you re-consider.

David

Runaways, continue the grumpiness, and I shall feed you to the dragons! Just whereabouts are you in Australia? Wherever it is, since you will be traveling north, it should get much cooler for you, as you get closer to the North Pole, so don't fret. I did cancel all of our shore bookings, Kamlee reported he was able to rebook, I haven't seen the new listings on the US website. My cancelling was a breeze, and re-booking shouldn't be too much of an issue. DW did some homework on Komodo Dragons, and has advised me that is not joining me on the nature hike after all. So much for love and romance in the tropics. She thought they were very large iguanas, which in my opinion, they are. At this point, it's just packing up. We got our luggage tickets last week. Hotels are all arranged, although I still have to submit the extra day over to Azamara. Influenza has struck the State of Georgia, so I am looking forward to my escape in 4½ weeks. As Scorpio has said, the dust will settle, we shall all soon be ensconced in our 21st Century Torture Chambers enjoying the views from 35,000 feet, some of us for longer than others, then it's on to Dim Sum and Singapore Chili Crab. If the worst that life can dish out to us is confused shore excursions, I say we've got it pretty good.

David

Oh David, please don't feed me to the dragons! We've visited Komodo before and saw 3 of the monsters tearing a huge sea turtle to pieces on the beach - not pretty! My husband also nearly stood on one - almost gave the guide a heart attack, not to mention Ian. Komodo is not exactly made for "love and romance in the tropics" - a tropical paradise it's not, so I'm with your wife on this: Arid, brownish and scrubby from memory, but interesting of course. We're really looking forward to returning there especially for the absolutely fab snorkelling at Pink Beach. Komodo dragons are not dissimilar to our Australian goanna's, which can grow to large sizes in the bush.

Re the changes etc., not really fretting, but we do think the processes are much easier for US/North American clients than those of us in other parts of the world. Communication through travel agents (especially internet agency personnel) is slower than you seem to experience; the information less comprehensive; we have extra fees re currency conversions to take into account; and, personally, I'm now at the point where I don't want to outlay for the same shore excursions again, pay more Overseas Transaction fees, then wait we-don't-know-how-long for credit card refunds to appear: The same applies to the additional night's accom at Singapore. It's not so much physically cancelling and rebooking the actual excursions, it's the other stuff that becomes tiresome. BTW, remember, we do have to cross the Equator from Oz before making it to the North Pole! We're in the south, but summer has certainly arrived and we're all typically a bit pre-Christmas celebrations/holidays frazzled. But that happens every year, no matter what else is going on!! So, don't throw me to the dragons - a horrible way to go! We'll get there and all have a wonderful time, without doubt. Gwenn.

Hi Guys, such a lot seems to have happened whilst I've been in sub-zero Berlin, which was very festive and so interesting.

Like Scorpio I'm going to wait a while before rebooking tours and hopefully Azamara will automatically have done it for me.

After my initial "hissy" fit I am feeling very mellow about the changes and soooo excited about the whole adventure.

David, how long is your flight from the US? Its approx 13 and a half for me.

Thanks for the info Gwen re-Komodo I am really looking forward to snorkelling there, are you doing the morning tour or afternoon? I was, and hopefully still am, doing the afternoon trip.

Hopefully issues re-exchange rates and tour changes will soon be sorted to everyone's satisfaction and we can get back to looking forward to a post Christmas holiday.

I hope the weather cools for our antipodean members and ice storms miss Atlanta. Best wishes Gill.:)

hello bill,

eg the price for that will be,let say only 150 $ pP,but there are costs for meals etc ,will the amount paying by azamara only 150$ or 250 $ as a lump sum?

Gerhard

hello,

could anybody answer this question?

Gill, great hearing that things are going well. Berlin is on my bucket list, but not for this year. Our trip? This is one of those, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" propositions. We leave Atlanta at 8:40 for a non stop to Minneapolis. For those of you not completely familiar with North American geography, it is a bit below the Canadian border, smack in the middle of the Great Plains. That is a broad expanse of land that allows Siberian/Arctic/Canadian sub zero cold air to blast into the depths of the Continent. Think of it as Siberia, without the Russian accent. That is a 3½ hour flight, and assuming they can clear the glaciers off the runway, we have a lovely 2 hour sojourn in Delta's club lounge, nibbling olives, pre-packaged hummus, and sipping decent gins and tonics. Then the fun first begins. 10 hours, non stop to Tokyo. At least we are sitting up front and have decent, fully flat beds with great blankets. (We get to Minneapolis at noon "our" time, depart at 2PM "our" time, getting us to Tokyo at midnight "our" time.) DW and I shall be dining, in separate Delta "suites" on wonderfully prepared Japanese treats. I will let anyone who is interested in knowing how the airline's Japanese meal, prepared in Minneapolis, famous for their Scandinavian settlers, is. Actually, my dinner our of Los Angeles was very nice in August. Anyway, arrival in Tokyo at midnight us, I think 4PM them, and then we have just under a 2 hour layover. The Delta lounge is wonderful! Great food, nice sushi, and for anyone who will be there, you MUST get yourself a self service beer. Only the Japanese could invent a beer dispenser that, well, you just have to push the button yourself to appreciate it. I'm sure there is something posted on YouTube... Where was I? The layover, just under 2 hours. I think we are at about 18½ hours of traveling at this point, but that doesn't count the 1½ hour we need for Atlanta check in. We get back on board our spacious Delta 777, same seats, American rather than Japanese dinner if memory serves me correct, and after almost 20 hours of flying, they could have served me a bowl of Pasta Bolognese and I wouldn't have noticed. 6 hours, 40 minutes on to Singapore. which translates to about midnight Japanese time. God alone knows what time it is for our biological clocks! We arrive around 1:30AM local time, we are grabbing a taxi to the Royal Plaza on Scots for the night/morning/who knows. Breakfast somewhere. Off to the tailor before lunch, I've got some alterations that I need to get done before Monday, lunch, and then off to the start of the REAL adventure - the Conrad, which is more or less sold out for the weekend. Completely booked for Sunday night.

Looking forward to meeting all of you! And I'm glad to hear that snorkeling at Pink Beach is great. In fact, I'm off to the basement right now to drudge up my mask and stuff. No fins for me, they give me cramps.

Hi Guys, such a lot seems to have happened whilst I've been in sub-zero Berlin, which was very festive and so interesting.

Like Scorpio I'm going to wait a while before rebooking tours and hopefully Azamara will automatically have done it for me.

After my initial "hissy" fit I am feeling very mellow about the changes and soooo excited about the whole adventure.

David, how long is your flight from the US? Its approx 13 and a half for me.

Thanks for the info Gwen re-Komodo I am really looking forward to snorkelling there, are you doing the morning tour or afternoon? I was, and hopefully still am, doing the afternoon trip.

Hopefully issues re-exchange rates and tour changes will soon be sorted to everyone's satisfaction and we can get back to looking forward to a post Christmas holiday.

I hope the weather cools for our antipodean members and ice storms miss Atlanta. Best wishes Gill.:)

Hi. You know, we're entitled to a tiny 'hissy fit'. But we're all better now, and things are progressing pretty well here in Oz. One or two outstanding questions re how refunds will actually be deposited (card, direct credit to bank, etc?), but just been advised that new E-DOCs will come from Azamara Sydney mid next week, so that's good. We'll just sit tight re the shore excursions and, like you, hope they will be transferred. Pink Beach was wonderful when we were there years ago and we truly hope it still is. Revisiting a wonderful place/memory can be a bit fraught, but if the 'powers that be' have been able to stop boats dropping anchors and running small boats into the coral reef, it will be really fabulous. There was evidence of significant damage all those years ago but it has become a very popular destination since then so hopefully being well looked after. We've booked for the morning tour. The hot sun here has given way to a lovely downpour of cooling (much needed) rain today. We're looking forward to meeting everyone - including seriously jet-lagged Dr & Mrs H (though pointy-end cosseting should help!). Best to everyone. Gwenn

hello bill,

Gerhard

Hello Muggchen -

I assume that you have made your arrangements as a cruise-only guest. The policy information which I have states that "Cruise only guests will be reimbursed up to $250 per person for an extra night hotel stay in Singapore prior to the cruise. A faxed copy of the hotel charges assessed must be provided for reimbursement."

I'll need to check whether the additional cost for meals is included in the hotel cost for the extra night in Singapore and will let you know the answer to your question.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience and I expect to have a response after the weekend.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Our new cruise now appears on the "Find a Voyage" page of the Azamara website. We are still waiting for it to appear on the "Manage my reservation" page so we can arrange our excursions. We will be very angry if we cannot book the earliest departure for the "Komodo Dragon Adventure". We missed seeing the dragons earlier this year when our cruise was terminated by the fire onboard Quest. We don't want to miss them this time.

Kampol, I just (re)booked the first Dragon tour out at 9AM, Sandie having chickened out. I've also booked the late Pink Beach tour that day, assuming I'm not breakfast for one or two of the locals. The two of us are signed up for the dual Temple tour out of Semarang, and the Tanah Lot afternoon tour upon arrival in Bali on our first day, which our new schedule actually makes possible. I just hope we are not too short on beach time. I'm not certain that it means anything, my the Costco website that I used to originally book the cruise is once again listing availability of this cruise, along with a much more extensive selection of rooms than is shown on the Azamara site. This is looking to be a very underbooked voyage! S and I are in an N1 suite, and unless the booking computer has bounced a lot of people, or an awful lot of people have cancelled, we seem to be the only ones in an N1 suite. Similarly, there are only 4 rooms that can't be booked at the N2 category. And there is wide open availability at every other level. This little gang of ours on cc just might account for half of the people sailing!

Our new cruise now appears on the "Find a Voyage" page of the Azamara website. We are still waiting for it to appear on the "Manage my reservation" page so we can arrange our excursions. We will be very angry if we cannot book the earliest departure for the "Komodo Dragon Adventure". We missed seeing the dragons earlier this year when our cruise was terminated by the fire onboard Quest. We don't want to miss them this time.

The earliest Komodo Dragon Adventure is now 9.30 instead of 8.30 so not sure if we'll book the afternoon Pink Beach excursion as it's at 1pm and cutting it a bit fine if we want lunch as well! Our booking is now showing 0 excursions although we'd booked 6 so we aren't sure if our money has been refunded and we've got to re-book, or if they are going to be re-booked by Azamara - perhaps Bill could enlighten us?

It looks like our previous post was deleted because we mentioned the name of a US travel agent, so we'll try again.

We have just checked a US travel agent website - the cabins available to book for the new 12-night cruise include "our" cabin!

The "Manage My Reservation" page of the Azamara website still shows our booking for the original 13-night cruise (along with our original excursions). We don't know whether the problem is with Azamara or our UK travel agent. That's why we're frustrated.

Regards,

Kampol and Lee.

HI Kamlee.

Has your T/A emailed you the forms from Azamara UK to fill in and send back stating that you want to stick with the cruise and with your cabin. Our T/A sent ours on 11th and the form asked you to phone Azamara UK and let them know. It was funny how one form said you can keep your cabin and another of the 3 said that you would be allocated one of the same type. When we phoned Azamara UK, they said they would not speak with clients diect and we had to go through the T/A. You need to get onto your T/A I think to get this sorted, otherwise your cabin maybe sold. Hope this is of use.

Wendy. (rabidcruisers Wife.)

Hi Bill. Have you any comments on these points please.

HI Kamlee.

Has your T/A emailed you the forms from Azamara UK to fill in and send back stating that you want to stick with the cruise and with your cabin. Our T/A sent ours on 11th and the form asked you to phone Azamara UK and let them know. It was funny how one form said you can keep your cabin and another of the 3 said that you would be allocated one of the same type. When we phoned Azamara UK, they said they would not speak with clients diect and we had to go through the T/A. You need to get onto your T/A I think to get this sorted, otherwise your cabin maybe sold. Hope this is of use.

Wendy. (rabidcruisers Wife.)

Hi Bill. Have you any comments on these points please.

We are living in Thailand now, but Lee's parents received a call from our TA last week and confirmed that we wanted to re-book for the 12-night cruise. We will have to try calling our UK TA tomorrow (although they don't open until 4pm Thai time).

Regards,

Kampol and Lee.

Hi Bill,

I've noticed that on my reservations page it states one nights accommodation at the Conrad Centennial rather than two, the length of the cruise has changed to 12 days. I contacted my travel agent to confirm that I still wanted to go ahead with the trip and she informed me that I would have two nights at the Conrad pre-cruise, would you confirm that please?

On the new booking my excursions have disappeared as you said they would, would you please confirm that they will be reinstated by the excursions team as I have not received a refund at this time and don't wish to pay twice.

M G Grey

Hi Bill,

I've noticed that on my reservations page it states one nights accommodation at the Conrad Centennial rather than two, the length of the cruise has changed to 12 days. I contacted my travel agent to confirm that I still wanted to go ahead with the trip and she informed me that I would have two nights at the Conrad pre-cruise, would you confirm that please?

On the new booking my excursions have disappeared as you said they would, would you please confirm that they will be reinstated by the excursions team as I have not received a refund at this time and don't wish to pay twice.

M G Grey

I have encountered exactly the same situation On the email from Azamara it staated that an addtional night in the same hotel ie The Conrad would now be included but it does not appear on the updated Manage my reservation I am aware that the Conrad is sold out so I am anxious that our second night is secure as we dont wont to shift to another hotel for either night. Our shore excursions had also gone from the booking so I took a leap of faith and rebooked them, i am hoping the refund for the others arrives automatically. Any chance these queries could be answered Thank you in anticipation Bill. By the way I didnt mention ours is a UK booking

G2G - I rebooked our shore excursions yesterday, at the same old 50% discounted rate. Departure times have been adjusted somewhat, but otherwise no real changes.

AZ seems to have an interesting computer network system, and one continent apparently is not linked to the other, except possibly by underwater cable system (ref: "Krakatoa...")

I mentioned in one of my postings that rooms seem to be available everywhere; our cabin still is not showing up on the "select cabin" screen for booking, so once again, I'm assuming (never, ever a smart thing to do), that we remain in the good graces of the electronic chips of the North American computer. Apparently the network isn't too fond of Australians, Brits, or other folks and has no qualms against dispossessing them.

Oh and Bill, in case you are monitoring, we never have gotten a straight answer as to which terminal we are departing from - Marina Bay as per our current E-documents, or Singapore Cruise Terminal as per the Cruise Terminal's web site. Another small wrinkle for you to deal with as your prilosec goes into action.

David

I have encountered exactly the same situation On the email from Azamara it staated that an addtional night in the same hotel ie The Conrad would now be included but it does not appear on the updated Manage my reservation I am aware that the Conrad is sold out so I am anxious that our second night is secure as we dont wont to shift to another hotel for either night. Our shore excursions had also gone from the booking so I took a leap of faith and rebooked them, i am hoping the refund for the others arrives automatically. Any chance these queries could be answered Thank you in anticipation Bill. By the way I didnt mention ours is a UK booking

I am in the same position, in Manage my Reservation it only shows 1 night in the Conrad. I am also a UK booking. HELP

Archived