What Are You Reading?

tuggers

I always love these threads! In my 28 nights on the Horizon in April, I read eight books from the library and some I had brought with me. I am crazy about reading!

Anyway, Harlan Cobin has one coming out. I think it's called The Innocent. I'll be looking for that shortly. I just started Cold Hit by Linda Fairstein last night, but I may have already read it. It's sounding familiar. And I just finished reading Randy Wayne White's Tampa Burning.

Anyone else have good titles to share?

I read everything and anything I can get my hands on. And unfortunately I am a fast reader. I blame that on my mother as a child she had strict beadtimes but if we read we got to stay up another half hour thus a habit was born:p

My last 11 day cruise I read 10 books! I brought 8 and ran out and had to go to the library as the gift shop sold out of books!

I like

Lee Child

J.D. Robb

Vince Flynn

Janet Evonovich

Oh heck I like everyone! That's generaly why I can't use the libraries on the ship I generally have read everything that is of any interest to me

I don't "read" anymore...I listen to digital books, and I love it. I have belonged to www.audible.com for a few years and I now listen to books wherever I go. I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio in the car.

Currently I am listening to Jane Fonda reading her autobiography, "My Life So Far", and it's very interesting. I just finished the latest Nelson Demille book, "Night Fall", it was OK....his best book so far was "Up Country" which was excellent, I highly recommend it to men and women.

I'm saving the books "Skin Tight" and "Double Whammy" by Carl Hiaasen, the author who wrote the cruise related favorite of most people, "Skinny Dip". I wish that Janet Evanovich's new book, "Eleven On Top", was going to be out before we live, but it's not due to be released until after we leave on our cruise. :(

To be totally truthful, I do read books occasionally, like at bedtime. My current bedtime book, a real book, not digital, is "Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. It's a fascinating book.

The Innocent has been out for awhile. I've already read it. I love Harlan Coben and the Innocent is one of his best. I didn't guess anything until the end. My favorite books to read on the cruise are books by James Patterson. They are such easy reads and with the chapters being 2 to 4 pages it's really easy to find a good place to stop quickly. I'm currently reading his "4th of July" which is 4th in the series of the women's club books. It's good but nothing beats Harlan Coben!!!

Margie,

Enjoy your Millennium Europe Cruise no matter what you read. We were on it last year and loved it. :)

Thanks Texed, I plan on it....I'm getting so excited it's hard to think of anything else. If the butterflies in my stomach get any bigger I'll be able to fly to Europe without an airplane!!! :D

I am currently reading the Southern Sisters Mystery Series by Anne George.

Anne passed away a few years ago and the books were not easy to come by.

I Have this thing about not reading books in a series out of order. But, finally,

I have them all and love them.

A fellow cruiser turned me on to Rita Mae Brown's Sneaky Pie Series...actually

I think they are listed as Mrs Murphy Mysteries. Love this group.

Any of the Elliott Roosevelt White House Mysteries.

Of course, the Mitford Series.

This is such a useful thread.

Let's hear from others.

Hi Gail, Margie, Ed et al.

As a newsreporter by trade, I normally read anything that isn't too intense when I want to relax. To tell the truth, much of what I read outside of what is necessary for work constitutes trashy novels.

However, I stumbled upon the book ``Dark Road Home'' by Karen Harper last fall and an entranced by her writing now. Harper is from Columbus, Ohio (so to me, a hometown girl) and several of her books are mysteries taking place in the Amish community of Berlin, Ohio.

Harper apparently has a strong background in police work and a wealth of knowledge about the Mennonite and Amish communities. Her writing style and command of romance mystery writing is awesome. DH & I have lived among the Amish and Mennonites almost all our life so Harper's books are intriquing to me. Right now I'm reading Harper's ``Dark Harvest '' which is a sequel to ``Dark Road Home.''

Dianne

Just Ordered "1776" by David McCollugh, who wrote the amazing book on John Adams a few years back.

Will be taking that on the Infinity in three weeks!

It covers George Washington's Military strategy from laste 1775 to the end of 1776.

Only about 350 pages, so not as long as the Adams book.

Jim

Loved The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, The Curious Incident About a Dog in the Middle of the Night and the Piano Tuner. I also enjoy all of the No 1 Ladies's Detective Agency series by Andrew McCall Smith and the Nevada Barr mysteries which take place in National Parks. I could go on and on but will stop here and look forward to the recommendations by others. Happy sailing and reading

Hi Gail, Right now I am reading Mary Higgins Clark, No Place Like Home. I am a sucker for her books because I love a good mystery and she writes about places in NJ where I live. Pat

I just started The Journeyer by Gary Jennings. It's historical fiction. Marco Polo narrates his life story.

Others Ive enjoyed:

Slammerkin

The Lovely Bones ( horrific subject matter but great book)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon(sp) This one is great for lovers of historical romance

Three Junes

The DaVinci Code & Angels & Demons are fun reads

The Lady & the Unicorn

The Other Boleyn Girl

I love to read and have many different taste in topics. I just finished a true crime book by Ann Rule, started reading The Godfather Returns (a continuation of the Mario Puzo series) and today I just bought and can't put down...Tommyland..the autobiography of Tommy Lee of Motley Crue. There is nothing better than a good book and a quite corner on a luxury cruise ship to enjoy it!

OOh, books, my favorite things. I'd like to second The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. I also just finished The Kite Runner and it was outstanding. The kind of book that has you missing the characters when it's over.

I picked up The Other Boleyn Girl on Tuesday, read a few pages, and thought it was good enough to put away for my next cruise. Unfortunately, I couldn't put it down after all, and am nearly finished with it.

I've also recently enjoyed and highly recommend Bel Canto by Ann Patchett and thought The Time Traveller's Wife was pretty good, although for time travel, nothing beats the old Time and Again by Jack Finney.

NJTomato - what is Slammerkin? Have you read any of the others by Phillipa Gregory? I'm still looking for something to put away for my Millie TransAtlantic.

Sailingseas - Thanks for the recommendation on The Namesake and The Piano Tuner. I've looked at them and put them back - now I'll pick them up.

Amy,

Slammerkin is about a London Prostitute in the 1900's. Great read.

Ive read The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory. The Virgin's Lover is on my list to read! I really enjoy her!!

I love your list. I hope to have Kite Runner as a book club choice this Fall.

~C

Ditto on the McCullough book on John Adams.

I have also enjoyed reading the many books by Bernard Cornwell on cruises. He wrote the Sharpe Series which is based on an English soldier in the early 1800s. Great knowledge of the times and great battle scenes. Has also written various series on Medieval England, American Revolution and American Civil War. Some of the Sharpe series was adapted for Masterpiece Theater several years ago.

Also, just read Patricia Cornwells Portrait of a Killer in which she names who she thinks was really Jack the Ripper. Good book but I'm not as convinced as she is.

I am now reading, I Love You Like a Tomato by Marie Giordano, which is a great read. I just finished reading the Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith, which was a laugh riot! Since I attend college (very late bloomer) and want to concentrate on my studies, I only read during summer vacations. During the school year I stock up on the books that I want to read and once school is over I read like crazy. Any thing by Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Debbie Macomber and Dean Koontz is a must read! Goode Fun, you will love the works by Anne George. I came across her a few years ago and have the southern sisters series over and over a few times.

Peace and Happiness to All

Archived