Anyone know about Borgese Gardens in Rome?

Kancruze

I understand you need to have reservations in order to visit the gallery and museum at Borgese (sp?) Gardens. My question is: If you buy a Rome city pass and it includes the admission, do you still need to book reservations? I've come across a company called Viator who makes reservations including an entrance fee for around $45. And do I still have to pay this over and above the cost of the city pass? I am confused. Thanks for any enlightenment.

For entrance to the Borghese Gallery you need reservations most of the year. Victor is a consolidator and can add on their own fees and that price sounds like it includes admission. If you plan on getting the Roma Pass, either call the Borghese directly to make your reservations or ask your hotel to call and make the reservations for you.

if you only want to visit the Borghese Gardens, then it is free and there is a fantastic view over Rome at the bottom of the gardens. You can easily walk down and it will bring you out at the bottom of the Spanish Steps.

If you want to visit the galleria, which is fantastic, then as already advised you need to do it online. Very easy with the link already given. Why bother to do it via Viator when they are charging for something you can do yourself.

if you only want to visit the Borghese Gardens, then it is free and there is a fantastic view over Rome at the bottom of the gardens. You can easily walk down and it will bring you out at the bottom of the Spanish Steps.

LondonTowner, are you perhaps thinking of the Pincio section of the Borghese gardens? This overlooks Piazza del Popolo and there are stairs down to the Piazza.

There is an indirect way to get from the Borghese gardens to the bottom of the Spanish Steps, but it involves walking through the shopping area adjacent to the Spagna metro stop.

In the past I've tried to find a more direct route, but it's impossible because there is a divided highway (Viale del Muro Torto) through there with a high wall, as well as private property between the wall and Via Sistina (which ends at Piazza della Trinita dei Monti (the top of the Spanish Steps).

FWIW: This is one place where google maps is royally screwed up. It incorrectly identifies the location of Piazza dei Spagna and the Spanish Steps. If you go to the satellite view you'll see that there are tennis courts where they think the steps are.

Yes, even with a pass that includes admission you need to book a reservation.

There's absolutely no need to waste money with a middle man, it's easy to do on your own via their web site: http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

Good advice, if memory serves me right, you can get in the gardens without even buying a ticket.

Yes, there's no fee for the gardens, just for the museums on the site (Borghese, Villa Giulia/National Museum Etrusco, National Gallery of Modern Art) and the Zoo/Bioparco.

Whoa..do you mean there's more than one art gallery on the site? Fantastic!!

Villa Giulia houses the National Etruscan Museum in a villa that was built as a country house for Pope Julius III. The only web site I know of is in Italian, but you can probably get a good sense of it using google translate: http://villagiulia.beniculturali.it/index.php?it/94/la-sede

Part of the Modern Art Museum's web site is in English: http://www.gnam.beniculturali.it/index.php?en/1/home

Biopark: http://www.bioparco.it/english_site.html

We reserved our entry time on line, booking the earliest entry when the museum opened. We got there on a local Rome City bus ( do not recall the fare), asked the driver to announce he stop for the Borghese Gallery, which he did. Walked about 1.5 blocks from the bus stop to the museum entry, many people were in line at the closed doors. We entered in line, our resrved entry was easily located, and we took ( free) an english guided tour from one of the museum guides. After the tour we remained for about 1-2 hours to see more of the fabulous exhibits, and then went into the gardens outside ( free entry to anyone) and then walked through the park to some cafe for lunch.

The train into Rome from Civitavecchia ends up at the main train station, Terminale, and the bus to Villa Borghese departs from the bus terminal in front of the train station. I think the tobacco store in the Terminale sells all day bus passes, but do not recall the price. Train fares into Rome from Civitavecchia vary depending on departure time ( more during commute times) and the train itself. There is an Italian rail wwebsite that provides this information.

Hope this helps.

Stan

We reserved our entry time on line, booking the earliest entry when the museum opened........

The train into Rome from Civitavecchia ends up at the main train station, Terminale, and the bus to Villa Borghese departs from the bus terminal in front of the train station. I think the tobacco store in the Terminale sells all day bus passes, but do not recall the price. Train fares into Rome from Civitavecchia vary depending on departure time ( more during commute times) and the train itself. There is an Italian rail wwebsite that provides this information.

Hope this helps.

Stan

WOW! This is fantastic. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

There's no need to worry about bus passes in Rome, the BIRG ticket that you can buy in Civitavecchia covers both your round trip train ride (on regional trains only) and all day mass transit in Rome.

The bus from Termini to the Borghese Museum is the #910. It starts at Piazza dei Cinquecento, which is in front of the train station. The fifth stop is called Pinciana/Museo Borghese. The stop is about a half block past the entrance to the park, so you'll get off the bus and walk back the way you came for about a half block, then cross the street (Via Pinciana) and enter the park. The museum will be just ahead on the right.

You can see the map of the #910 bus line here: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=910RT&idmtram=52576&xmax=2313008&ymax=4645752&xmin=2309149&ymin=4641527&tipologia=URB&linea=910&circo=NO

• 2 weeks later...

The gallery is a jewel, but plan carefully around the time you reserve. You will only be allowed in with a small number of others at your appointed time, and you will be politely ushered out after two hours. However, in that time, you will see magnificent Bernini sculptures and a variety of major works by great painters, including Caravaggio. Be aware that the most of the works were created in the 16th and 17th centuries -- but that is not a reason to miss out on seeing these masterpieces. We bought a reasonably priced guide to the art in the gift shop that added to our appreciation and now serves as a souvenir of a memorable tour -- especially since the Borghese does not allow photos and will require you to check your "gun" at the door to keep you from shooting pics!

...especially since the Borghese does not allow photos and will require you to check your "gun" at the door to keep you from shooting pics!

Your post was "news" to me as I honestly was not aware that the Borghese does not allow photos and have taken many photos on both of my visits. I must be totally brain dead! Good thing I wasn't caught taking my decidedly mediocre photos. ;)

If possible, I would strongly suggest you time your admission to coincide with one of the two daily tours in English given at the Borghese. Our guide was a local PhD candidate in art history and was the best we have ever experienced. Plus, we noticed other tour guides moving their groups out of her way whenever she approached any attraction. (Not sure if that is a museum policy or not) but was most appreciated). There were a total of 4 of us in her group and the cost was seven euros each, if I recall correctly.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but if you book your reservation using the Roma Pass, the booking fee is waived. I had noticed this in the small print. I asked the concierge at our hotel to make the booking for us, and even she was not aware of the policy. It saves a few euro, which always helps!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the Borghese Gallery in late November, 2012. We had purchased tickets from home on the web and paid €12 p.p. for a reserved time. We arrived way early, and while waiting noticed people coming without reservation and allowed to enter. Perhaps it was because that time of year attendance is low. Also, we noticed the signs to check cameras, so I asked the guard if he wanted mine, It is just a little point/shoot that I keep in a pocket and he said it was too small to check. From P.Navona area, we rode Electrobus 116 to the gardens €1.50 P.P. The trick on the way back is recognizing your stop to get off! Fellow passengers are quite helpful!

We were just at the Borghese on 9 December -- it's so nice visiting this time of year as there were no crowds. We arrived around 2 PM to pick up our tickets for a 3 PM reservation. Our inital plans were to walk around the grounds for an hour, but as the temperature was a little cool and wet, we headed back to the museum to wait after a very quick walk around the grounds. We discovered they were allowing people in ahead of their scheduled time. Additionally, no one was enforcing the time limits so it was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

As we've been in Rome before, we were looking for something to do on a first day besides the normal sight seeing -- this was it. After checking into our apartment we took a short power nap then grabbed a cab for the Borghese. After the Borghese we walked back to our rented apartment in Campo di Fiori, had an early dinner, went to the grocery, and then called it a day.

First let me say that the Roma Pass wouldn't work for my trip for various reasons-

That being said, the only time that I can do this tour is at 3:00 the day before my cruise begins. Since May-July is a busy time at this museum, I went ahead and booked this (for 2) through their official site, even though it won't be until late June. It was 31 Euros. Viator offers this same tour for a little more money, but earlier in the day when I can't make it.

If financially it makes sense to purchase the R.P. then you can use it for B.G. but you need to call to reserve your time, and there is still a small charge (Check Tripadvisor and R.P. web site.

Anita

• 1 month later...

"Around" the Vatican covers a pretty big territory. Using Piazza del Risorgimento as a starting point, it's about a mile and a quarter walk to the Villa Borghese.

If you'd rather not walk you can take the metro (either Cipro or Ottaviano, which ever is closer to you). You can get off at either Flaminio/Piazza del Popolo and walk in from there,entering from the west, or you can get off at Spagna. From Spagna you'd walk through the underground mall and exit into the southernmost section of the park.

If you'd rather use the bus you can pick up the #490 outside the Ottaviano metro stop and take it for five, six, or seven stops (all three are in the park). Stop #7 (from where you get on at Ottaviano) is S. Paolo del Brasile and it is the closest to the museum.

"Around" the Vatican covers a pretty big territory. Using Piazza del Risorgimento as a starting point, it's about a mile and a quarter walk to the Villa Borghese.

If you'd rather not walk you can take the metro (either Cipro or Ottaviano, which ever is closer to you). You can get off at either Flaminio/Piazza del Popolo and walk in from there,entering from the west, or you can get off at Spagna. From Spagna you'd walk through the underground mall and exit into the southernmost section of the park.

If you'd rather use the bus you can pick up the #490 outside the Ottaviano metro stop and take it for five, six, or seven stops (all three are in the park). Stop #7 (from where you get on at Ottaviano) is S. Paolo del Brasile and it is the closest to the museum.

Thanks EURO CRUISER for the information. We will be staying at a hotel about 3 blocks behind the Vatican Museum so we probably will catch the bus.

May I ask annother question?. How to get to St. Giovannis in Laterano (St. John Lateran the Pope's church)?.

We had been Rome twice before but did not make to either places and would like to go those places if time permits.

Thanks again.

Archived