New Cruiser - Grand Turk

martinclm

We are completely new to cruising. Taking our first cruise this coming February. We'd kind of like to do our own thing on each of the ports.

Any recommendations for Grand Turk would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There's something for everybody in Grand Turk, from sleeping on the beach to helicopter excursions. Hundreds and hundreds of posts here on this board with recommendations. I suggest you read a couple pages, find the things that relate to you, then come back with more specific questions letting us know what you like so we can give you something more specific.

There's a shopping area as you exit the ship since it seems from other posts you like to shop. Not much in the way of shopping elsewhere there.

You'll enjoy reading get lots more info by scrolling down and reading what others have done.

Have FUN planning. :)

~~~~~

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

On our last visit there we had a van take us around the island (Island is relatively small) and stopped off at a few places. We went for three hours and you can negotiate this near the pier. Afterwards, there is plenty of time to visit the beach and/or to do shopping. Both are located right at the pier.

Keith

Thanks so much for all your recommendations! It does help!

The water is lovely on Grand Turk. If you want to book a snorkel trip, a dive trip (for certified divers) or just give diving a try (Discover Scuba Diving is an option for those who want to dive but are not certified), there are two independent dive operators on Grand Turk who offer trips: Blue Water Divers (www.grandturkscuba.com) and Grand Turk Diving (www.gtdiving.com).

• 3 weeks later...

If you like swimming/snorkeling, this is the place for it. Lovely beaches. I've snorkeled at Bohio divers (on a boat trip to the wall), and scuba-dove with Grand Turk Divers. (Also the wall). Next week, we are doing snorkeling with Crystal Seas Adventures.

I just love this island! Last April, a whale shark showed up at the end of our dive, and stayed & played with us for 10 min. I've been diving for years, so I had plenty of air left, and it was my first ever dive using my new underwater video camera. Talk about lucky!

We did a group snorkeling tour through Grand Turk Divers last year and it was great. We organized a group through the roll call and got a much better deal with 3 times the activities of a ships tour. We went to the stingray cay, the great wall to snorkel and another snorkeling stop. I would highly recommend them.

We are going again in a few days and we are just going to relax, eat jerk chicken, fried conch and drink yummy rum drinks with rude names at Jack's Shack. Jack's is just a short walk up the beach from the cruise port. You can snorkel right from where they are and rent an umbrella for cheap. When we went last year, that's where the whole cast of the dancing and singing troupe from the ship were. Free wifi.

Have fun, Sandy

when we went to grand turk we had our 2 yr old dd with us so we walked the beach and found 2 wonderful conch shells we brought home with us ,

then we just did some shopping and hung out at the beach and margaretaville

welcome to cruise critic:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived