Formal Dinner

We have done your cruise.

The formal nights have not changed.

They will be on the first sea day after leaving Seattle and the night you leave Ketchikan.

Not necessarily.

Our Oosterdam 7 day Seattle to Seattle cruise we did NOT have formal night on Ketchikan day though that is what would make sense. Ours was the next night.

Both previous answers could be correct. In the real time. it's up to the Captain/Hotel Director.

The first night prediction is almost a 100 per cent chance but there have been exceptions.

For first time cruisers, remember that the specialty restaurant Pinnacle Grill will come under formal night dress codes or pretty close.

Not necessarily.

Our Oosterdam 7 day Seattle to Seattle cruise we did NOT have formal night on Ketchikan day though that is what would make sense. Ours was the next night.

Our night after Ketchikan we are in Victoria from 6-10 pm. That was the main reason I was asking, we will probably be on shore so would not need to back a second formal outfit.

Our night after Ketchikan we are in Victoria from 6-10 pm. That was the main reason I was asking, we will probably be on shore so would not need to back a second formal outfit.

Exactly -- the last night of the cruise is Victoria -- no formal night for 2 reasons -- you stay in Victoria until Midnight and HAL never has a formal night the last night of the cruise.

We are booked for 7 nights to Alaska in May, I read where they normally have 2 formal dinners on a 7 night cruise. Does anyone know which nights those will be on? Are they usually on the same nights for every cruise?

I recommend you ask when you board. I asked this question here on CC before our Westerdam cruise in September and was also told the first sea day and after Ketchikan.

Our first sea day was our first formal night.

Our second formal night was after Sitka, NOT Ketchikan!

After we left Sitka, we dressed in smart casual - DH was wearing slacks and a nice dress shirt that was open at the collar, no tie and no jacket. We had open dining and were immediately seated without any indication we weren't appropriately dressed. As we looked around the dining room, we realized it was formal night, but since we were already seated, it would really have been awkward to leave our table to go change and then come back. I bought a brand new cocktail dress for our 2nd formal night that I never got to wear.

Cruise Critic is great for many things, but sometimes you can get old info. Ask once you're on the ship! Also, in the daily activities, the Explorer, on the front page it lists in very small print the date, the port, and dining attire. Check that section out each day.

Archived