Mailing from St. Thomas

bguppies

We will be in St. Thomas on December 18th....

Wanted to try and mail our Christmas cards from there, to have that special postmark. (kind of make the X-Mas cards this year, unique)

How close is the closest post office to the pier?

I assume the postage will be a bit higher to get a card back to the US.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill

The postage is exactly the same since it is a US Post Office. The mailboxes are for on island and off island mail so be sure to put the mail in the correct one.

There is a large post office just next to the vendor area downtown on the first street away from the water.

I assume the postage will be a bit higher to get a card back to the US.
Why? :confused: You're mailing *from* the US *to* the US. The only difference is the distance.

With that said, sending first class mail from STT may or may not make it to its intended destination in time. It takes a week to get mail from FL to Detroit, which is only a fraction of the distance.

Why? :confused: You're mailing *from* the US *to* the US. The only difference is the distance.

With that said, sending first class mail from STT may or may not make it to its intended destination in time. It takes a week to get mail from FL to Detroit, which is only a fraction of the distance.

Why?

Maybe because the OP would like the postmark.

Time?

1st class letter to NY would be 3-4 days

to LA would be the same

Why?

Maybe because the OP would like the postmark.

And that has exactly what to do with OPs question about the rate being higher? :confused:

Please pay attention to which question is being answered.

Reading *is* fundamental.

And, FWIW, the USPS estimates delivery time to the mainland US to be 7 business days.

Thanks for the quick answers...

Yeah I figured the cards might arrive late, but thought the St. Thomas postmark, with our cards with Palm Trees with christmas lights, would be unique.

According to the USPS website, the postage will be $.65 back to the US, but it will be worth it.

Appreciate the help...

Can always count on these boards for assistance.

Bill

Heck it takes over a week for mail from Michigan to Colorado and there are no ocean voyages involved there! Actually, I would guess that mail form the USVI would likely be flown to the mainland (not the "US" BTW, as the US VIrgin Islands are a US territory). If I remember correctly, there is a post office at Havensight Mall at the end of the pier (assuming your ship docks at Havensight that is). If you dock at Crown Bay, then it's a whole other story.

And that has exactly what to do with OPs question about the rate being higher? :confused:

Please pay attention to which question is being answered.

Reading *is* fundamental.

And, FWIW, the USPS estimates delivery time to the mainland US to be 7 business days.

I read it. Apparently you did not

You should pay attention to the post I was answering

Go on the USPS website.

Put in your zip and a St Thomas zip.

USPS calculates that if you sent today, it would arrive most place in the USA on Wednesday.

That is not 7 business days

Bill: If you are docked at Havensight, there is a small post office in the mall. There are slots for mail to the main land and one for the VI only. Besides the post office in town, on Main Street, there is also a post office in French Town, between Crown Bay and town. If for some reason, you find yourself in the vicinity of the hospital, there is another post office there.

The USVI loves the USPS! Although it is a territory of the US, FedEx and UPS consider it "international" and charge more. With USPS, there is parity!!:D The mail does get sorted through Puerto Rico and letters all go by air. If for some reason you decide to send boxes, definitely ship Air Priority, as "ground" does go by slow boat...

Bill: If you are docked at Havensight, there is a small post office in the mall. There are slots for mail to the main land and one for the VI only. Besides the post office in town, on Main Street, there is also a post office in French Town, between Crown Bay and town. If for some reason, you find yourself in the vicinity of the hospital, there is another post office there.

The USVI loves the USPS! Although it is a territory of the US, FedEx and UPS consider it "international" and charge more. With USPS, there is parity!!:D The mail does get sorted through Puerto Rico and letters all go by air. If for some reason you decide to send boxes, definitely ship Air Priority, as "ground" does go by slow boat...

We should be docked at Havensight, so I plan on looking for the Post Office there. (saw it on a map I printed out)

Thanks for the heads up about mainland mail and island mailboxes...

Got the cards done, sealed and stamped yesterday, while I watched football.

Appreciate all the help you guys have given.

Bill

There is a very obvious, easy to find U.S. Post Office at the start of Main Street, just opposite where the flea market sets up right across from the harbor. If you take the taxi to downtown, it is right near where they drop us at Little Switzerland. Easy.

Archived