Re RCCL - what does this mean???

bazzaw

A Royal Caribbean spokesman said last week the price differential in this case could be explained by the fact that compulsory tips and gratuities were added to bills in Alaska, the Caribbean and Europe but in Australia they were included in the bill.

I am anticipating "having " to pay tips on VOS -- either compulsory if we have anytime dining - and not compulsory, but "suggested", if having traditional dining.

This statement appears to be saying otherwise - that tipping is "included" on RCCL cruises in Australia??

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/australians-pay-double-for-flights-20121208-2b28q.html#ixzz2EWQFaRHv

Barry

I think they have their facts wrong, at least for RCCL. My parents booked directly with RCCL in Au and the tips were automatically included in the price but could be removed if requested (except for mytime dining). I booked through the US (actually at a slightly higher price!) and know that my tips aren't included.

A Royal Caribbean spokesman said last week the price differential in this case could be explained by the fact that compulsory tips and gratuities were added to bills in Alaska, the Caribbean and Europe but in Australia they were included in the bill.

I am anticipating "having " to pay tips on VOS -- either compulsory if we have anytime dining - and not compulsory, but "suggested", if having traditional dining.

This statement appears to be saying otherwise - that tipping is "included" on RCCL cruises in Australia??

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/australians-pay-double-for-flights-20121208-2b28q.html#ixzz2EWQFaRHv

Barry

Barry I am not good at writing (Official that is) but why dont you write to RCI Australia and ask them why RCIs explanation of higher prices were because Australians had there tips included in the cruise price!

I chose to do traditional dinning on VOS and had the choice to opt out of Auto tips but if I didnt check the box they would have been added.

Perhaps there is no tips for Aussie sailings unless you do My Time Dinning?

Den

I think they use magic words, I believed that Gratuities and Tips were paid as part of my fare if purchased from Australia.

Compulsory Gratuities are part of the "My Time" dining as stated and are paid as part of the fare. So if you opt out are you still expected to pay? I guess so and it is the same amount?

Compulsory Bar Tips are added, 15% on bar prices and that covers tips.

It's no wonder everyone gets confused. :confused: :confused:

I think they have their facts wrong, at least for RCCL. My parents booked directly with RCCL in Au and the tips were automatically included in the price but could be removed if requested (except for mytime dining). I booked through the US (actually at a slightly higher price!) and know that my tips aren't included.

I booked through RCI Australia and removed my auto tips (So the fare looked better:) ) Is the option to remove Auto tips if not doing My Time Dinning available when booking from a USA website?

My base fare inc tax cost more than $300 each by booking from RCI AU than it did from RCI USA inc tax,I sent plenty of emails about it too!

Currancy fluctuation was the only explanation given:rolleyes:

Perhaps part of that price is infact tips added to the AU price?

(wishful thinking lol)

Den

I think they use magic words, I believed that Gratuities and Tips were paid as part of my fare if purchased from Australia.

Compulsory Gratuities are part of the "My Time" dining as stated and are paid as part of the fare. So if you opt out are you still expected to pay? I guess so and it is the same amount?

Compulsory Bar Tips are added, 15% on bar prices and that covers tips.

It's no wonder everyone gets confused. :confused: :confused:

You may be correct with your first statement? If nobody questions it then perhaps people are in actual fact paying twice? The crew dont seem to have any idea about other things like the new RCI wine allowance?

I have been in contact with both RCI Australia and RCI USA about the base price of my Australian booked VOS cruise being so much more expensive than if it was booked on RCI US site or with an online US TA.

The only difference between RCI USA prices and Online T/A was T/A gave $100 OBC as a bonus.

RCI Australia and RCI USA both explained the price difference was because of Australian Consumer protection laws and possible currency fluctuations,my reply to the later was "why was my credit card charged in US dollars" for payments if the price was in AU dollars? RCI Australia should have charged me in Australian dollars if it is a separate entity and are already charging more due to "Possible currency fluctuations":p

Also if RCI factored in a much higher base price for Australian booked cruises than the original base price in USA "in case of currency fluctuation" would they refund me the difference if the currency stayed in my favour? after all they have charged me more in the first instance "just in case!" No more answers from RCI AU or USA:rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned Tips on RCI cruises booked from Australia with traditional dinning are at my discretions and will be personal.

The reason you pay tips for My Time Dinning up front with RCI Australia is to stop people skipping and avoiding last dinner thus whip around/envelopes for dinning room staff they have made less of a re pore with than traditional diners may have!

Den

The quote there is about onboard selling prices of alcohol.

It sounds like they're not charging the 15% gratuity for alcohol onboard, which they also stopped previous seasons, and just modify the onboard price to include it in the price.

It doesn't relate to Mytime dining or general tipping in prices.

The quote there is about onboard selling prices of alcohol.

It sounds like they're not charging the 15% gratuity for alcohol onboard, which they also stopped previous seasons, and just modify the onboard price to include it in the price.

It doesn't relate to Mytime dining or general tipping in prices.

Then what is RCI Australia,s reasoning behind Auto tips being compulsory and having to be paid "up front" for those who choose "my time Dinning" and not for those who choose traditional dinning?

Last time i read the "dish out" % of auto tips it didnt all go to dinning room staff so why are" My time dinners" charged up front no accept ions and Traditional dinners given a choice?

Also Can some choose to tip individuals only (as many Americans love to do) and forego Autotips?

Or are you still automatically billed on your account for tips when you have booked with "RCI Australia" and opted out of pre paid tips?

I just cant see why there is an opt out for traditional dinners unless My Timers are paying a premium for the privilege of dinning at( seemingly) their leisure?

Den

Then what is RCI Australia,s reasoning behind Auto tips being compulsory and having to be paid "up front" for those who choose "my time Dinning" and not for those who choose traditional dinning?

That's different again. That's not an Australian policy, but a fleetwide policy. It's because if people have a regular waiter then it makes sense for the tip to go to them and people would base their tip on that specific service. But with My time dining you don't have a specific waiter (usually) so the tips need to be pooled in advance and shared into that waiter pool.

Last time i read the "dish out" % of auto tips it didnt all go to dinning room staff so why are" My time dinners" charged up front no accept ions and Traditional dinners given a choice?

It's not only to dining staff, but it's a significant proportion of it. They could theoretically just charge the dining only component up front, but I think that just makes it more confusing for everyone so they just make it a simple rule for those doing my time dining.

Also Can some choose to tip individuals only (as many Americans love to do) and forego Autotips?

Or are you still automatically billed on your account for tips when you have booked with "RCI Australia" and opted out of pre paid tips?

Yes, to the first and no to the second. Your tipping procedures work exactly the same as for American and other passengers onboard. You can either have them automatically billed, or not (and that applies to American, Australian and any other passenger).

Ok am I wrong or Right:confused:

Those who booked a cruise through "RCI Australia" are protected and covered by Australian Consumer protection laws Which state All fees and charges must be show up front,(no hidden charges and taxes Blah Blah Blah)

I booked a cruise with "RCI Australia" and was given a "choice" to pre pay auto tips or "not" to pre pay auto tips as part of the final cruise cost.

I chose "not" to pre pay Auto tips. So the "suggested" Auto tip amount on "RCI Australian" booked cruises is "not" part of the cruise cost because I was given a choice to pay it or not! Correct?

People booking with "RCI Australia" that chose "My Time Dinning" at the booking stage are given "no" choice on a set gratuity cost that is a pre determined amount of money(auto tips) added and "must" be paid as part of the final cruise price! Correct?

So there are no auto tips required to be paid by those who booked through "RCI Australia" and chose "Traditional Dinning" because any compulsory additional costs must by law have been included in the initial price (Australian Consumer protection Laws) Correct?

"Compulsory" Pre paid tips added at the booking stage are in actual fact an extra gratuity "RCI Australia" charges those who chose "My Time Dinning" at booking stage ( Its an additional service if you like!) So this "same charge amount" cannot be automatically added onboard to an account of those who chose "Traditional dinning and have paid in full' without also re charging this amount to those who chose "My time Dinning and have paid in full"!

My Auto Tips are included as far as I am concerned and covered by the more than $600 cabin price I paid over and above the the charges for the same cruise booked through RCI USA who do not abide by the same consumer protection laws I paid for in Australia:)

I will tip service workers but am convinced I have already been charged extra by RCI Australia to cover Auto tips!

Den

That's different again. That's not an Australian policy, but a fleetwide policy. It's because if people have a regular waiter then it makes sense for the tip to go to them and people would base their tip on that specific service. But with My time dining you don't have a specific waiter (usually) so the tips need to be pooled in advance and shared into that waiter pool.

It's not only to dining staff, but it's a significant proportion of it. They could theoretically just charge the dining only component up front, but I think that just makes it more confusing for everyone so they just make it a simple rule for those doing my time dining.

Yes, to the first and no to the second. Your tipping procedures work exactly the same as for American and other passengers onboard. You can either have them automatically billed, or not (and that applies to American, Australian and any other passenger).

With those comments you must have a vast experience of booking RCI cruises with Both RCI USA and RCI Australia direct and a full understanding of the price difference between the two companies and reasons for that price difference?

Its easy to generalize a company in some aspects and not others so what is your fact? generalization by fleet wide cruising experience or purchasing experience and fact of both companies full terms and conditions that nobody seems to understand,Even RCI executive company spokespersons?

Den

Hey Den,

We're all just anonymous participants on an internet forum here so if you don't like my answer feel free to contact the cruise line and get different answers or whatever.

But you asked me a question so I respected it enough to answer, so I don't think your sarcastic response is reasonable.

Rubbish info from RCL. Tips were additional on our cruise in the Med this year. We did mtd which means they are paid in advance but that did not explain the price differential that we as Australians were charged compared with those from the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With those comments you must have a vast experience of booking RCI cruises with Both RCI USA and RCI Australia direct and a full understanding of the price difference between the two companies and reasons for that price difference?

Its easy to generalize a company in some aspects and not others so what is your fact? generalization by fleet wide cruising experience or purchasing experience and fact of both companies full terms and conditions that nobody seems to understand,Even RCI executive company spokespersons?

Den

We have booked cruises through the US and through Australia - it is not just the RCI branded ships that charge upfront for gratuities for non traditional dining. Most of the ones we have been on do so as well with the reasoning that you have a variety of servers in non traditional rather than the same team each night (who you would "bond' with).

The Big_M was not generalising with no evidence - it is well known that this is the process for booking so I feel your comment was rather uncalled for.

The extra price of cruises here IMO is not because of them adding the gratuities into the cost then charging these onboard as well. It is more a case of what the market can bear and how much competition there is. In Australia there has not been a culture of cut-throat competition. We are a small blip the income the cruise lines generate.

We have booked cruises through the US and through Australia - it is not just the RCI branded ships that charge upfront for gratuities for non traditional dining. Most of the ones we have been on do so as well with the reasoning that you have a variety of servers in non traditional rather than the same team each night (who you would "bond' with).

The Big_M was not generalising with no evidence - it is well known that this is the process for booking so I feel your comment was rather uncalled for.

The extra price of cruises here IMO is not because of them adding the gratuities into the cost then charging these onboard as well. It is more a case of what the market can bear and how much competition there is. In Australia there has not been a culture of cut-throat competition. We are a small blip the income the cruise lines generate.

Missed "My" point I think? and sarcasm wasnt intended and at re reading I may have sounded a bit harsh perhaps so Apologies as offence was not my intention.

I will try again. Forget RCI USA for a moment.

RCI Australia charges "More money" at the booking stage for MTD Than It does for Traditional dinning!

If RCI Australia must show all costs up front because of Australian consumer protection laws why are traditional dinners given a choice?A choice of payment is not part of a total cost!

MTD bookers are given "no choice",so the added gratuity (Auto tips if you like) is in actual fact part of the original fare for those choosing MTD.

RCI USA are not bound by the same consumer protection laws as Australia and can advertise a cruise price without total cost!

If RCI Australia charges one cost for MDT and another for Trad Dinners then that must be the total cost! It cannot be explained away by using different waiters each night or the same waiters as in US Booked cruises because RCI Australia charges "More" than RCI USA for the same cruise!

How can RCI Australia have a compulsory charge for MTD if it is not also applied to the fare of those choosing traditional dinning?

I am fully aware why MTDers are charged up front on USA booked cruises but does this really apply to RCI Australian booked cruises?

Den

I am fully aware why MTDers are charged up front on USA booked cruises but does this really apply to RCI Australian booked cruises?

Den

Celebrity do - and i was. And Celebrity is owned by RCI so I don't know why they wouldn't.

At the end of the day, tips were going to be involved some way. We can jump up and down all we like about 'how decent salaries should be paid'. Well they aren't. Fact of life. And while I don't like it and would not put up with it in Australia - RCI (and Celebrity) while offering cruises to Australians are really US ships based here for a period. And I'm not going to take it out on the hired help - some guy working his aerosoles off to support a family so I can swan around a pool who does not set policy and if he tried to might find himself out of a job - just because I don't agree with tipping and that a fare should be the final fare.

:rolleyes:

Prepaid gratuities were added to my cruise total when booking RCI cruise through Aust travel agent. I have traditional dining. Wasn't aware you had any choice. Personally I prefer to pay tips upfront so I don't have to worry about it.

Celebrity do - and i was. And Celebrity is owned by RCI so I don't know why they wouldn't.

At the end of the day, tips were going to be involved some way. We can jump up and down all we like about 'how decent salaries should be paid'. Well they aren't. Fact of life. And while I don't like it and would not put up with it in Australia - RCI (and Celebrity) while offering cruises to Australians are really US ships based here for a period. And I'm not going to take it out on the hired help - some guy working his aerosoles off to support a family so I can swan around a pool who does not set policy and if he tried to might find himself out of a job - just because I don't agree with tipping and that a fare should be the final fare.

:rolleyes:

Yes I agree with what you are saying but "This Thread" is about an RCI official spokesperson stating to the Australian press that all prices on RCI VOS cruises for the Australian/Asian season have been "Raised above" that charged on USA season cruises "To Include onboard Gratuities" because of Australian consumer protection laws.

Now do we dispel that as just miss information given by RCI or do we believe that rci.com.au have taken this into account and thus the higher booking price difference charged between rci.com.au and rci.com for the exact same cruises booked?:rolleyes:

I have no intention of stiffing the staff by the way but am just thinking outside the box.

Cruisers booking MTD on rci.com.au includes a "compulsory" upfront payment/gratuity as part of the cruise fare,for Traditional dinner it does not include that "compulsory" price,this may be the exact same system used by rci usa but rci usa are not bound by Australian consumer protection laws and this was explained to me by rci via email as one of the reasons for higher cruise prices charged when booking from Australia.

Why are MTD cruisers charged more than Traditional dinners at the booking stage with "Rci.com.au" when Australian consumer protection laws state all compulsory charges must be shown?

This compulsory charge must be for MTD.s only?

The only reason I doubt rci experienced cruisers comments is the fact that this is the "first time" rci have raised their prices just because they are in Australian waters and most who do not use a T/A are forced to book through rci.com.au and Australian rules.

Why else would a VOS cruise starting from Fremantle Australia cost almost $400 more per person when booked from Australia than it did if booked from USA?

Den

Yes I agree with what you are saying but "This Thread" is about an RCI official spokesperson stating to the Australian press that all prices on RCI VOS cruises for the Australian/Asian season have been "Raised above" that charged on USA season cruises "To Include onboard Gratuities" because of Australian consumer protection laws.

Now do we dispel that as just miss information given by RCI or do we believe that rci.com.au have taken this into account and thus the higher booking price difference charged between rci.com.au and rci.com for the exact same cruises booked?:rolleyes:

I have no intention of stiffing the staff by the way but am just thinking outside the box.

Cruisers booking MTD on rci.com.au includes a "compulsory" upfront payment/gratuity as part of the cruise fare,for Traditional dinner it does not include that "compulsory" price,this may be the exact same system used by rci usa but rci usa are not bound by Australian consumer protection laws and this was explained to me by rci via email as one of the reasons for higher cruise prices charged when booking from Australia.

Why are MTD cruisers charged more than Traditional dinners at the booking stage with "Rci.com.au" when Australian consumer protection laws state all compulsory charges must be shown?

This compulsory charge must be for MTD.s only?

The only reason I doubt rci experienced cruisers comments is the fact that this is the "first time" rci have raised their prices just because they are in Australian waters and most who do not use a T/A are forced to book through rci.com.au and Australian rules.

Why else would a VOS cruise starting from Fremantle Australia cost almost $400 more per person when booked from Australia than it did if booked from USA?

Den

My real opinion. I think he is likely to be a disingenuous wa*ker like many in business in this country that still doesn't wake up to the fact that the internet has been around for nearly 2 decades and that we all can do research. And Australians have wised up a while ago to crapola stories like that..but amazingly their are some still out there that think if you repeat it enough people will believe it.

Let's face it, is it also australian consumer law that we don't have the same refund opportunities or that price drops do not get passed on? And give they say US liquor laws apply on board then how is it suddenly Australian consumer law applies to spending in the ship in international waters..... In this country an adult is 18....not 21. Therefore, one would assume under Australian discrimination legislation your cant arbitrarily stop serving alcohol...but amazingly our laws don't apply to that little thing either.

And I also believed that prices rose more than the magical 15% which to me means there is bottom line profit going on over and above any gratuity.

Archived