Captain Jan Smit now Staff Captain

SilvertoGold

I just noticed on the HALBlog for December 6 that Captain Jan Smit, formerly the Captain of the Zaandam for several years, is now on the Eurodam as Staff Captain.

So, are these positions at the same level? I thought it was a promotion to go from the former level of Chief Officer to Captain, so this change for Captain Smit seems to be going the opposite way.

Any information on this?

I just noticed on the HALBlog for December 6 that Captain Jan Smit, formerly the Captain of the Zaandam for several years, is now on the Eurodam as Staff Captain.

So, are these positions at the same level? I thought it was a promotion to go from the former level of Chief Officer to Captain, so this change for Captain Smit seems to be going the opposite way.

Any information on this?

It would seem to me that he is just switching ships. For instance, in Feb. of 2011, I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Captian was Jonathan Mercer--one of the best, I might add. He is now Captain on the Amsterdam

There are times when it is simply a matter of scheduling and open slots for Captains and same for Hotel Managers.

We have known Captains who went back and forth from Chief Officer (as the position was called at the time) to Captain and maybe back to Chief depending upon open slots. They may do that for as much as a few years.

I certainly do not know if that is the case here but it would not be unusual if it is.

If he has permanently assumed the title of Staff Captain, it would be a demotion. I'm sure it was just a temporary assignment.

It could also be a one-time assignment to get him familiar with this class of ship. If he's never sailed one of the Vista or Signature class ships as Chief Officer/Staff Captain or as Captain, he might be doing a stint as Staff Capt to prepare him to take command of this ship.

It could also be a one-time assignment to get him familiar with this class of ship. If he's never sailed one of the Vista or Signature class ships as Chief Officer/Staff Captain or as Captain, he might be doing a stint as Staff Capt to prepare him to take command of this ship.

Very good point.

It would seem to me that he is just switching ships. For instance, in Feb. of 2011, I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Captian was Jonathan Mercer--one of the best, I might add. He is now Captain on the Amsterdam

I agree with your comment about Captain Mercer. I've sailed on three ships under his command and he's my favourite.

Are you absolutely sure that is the same Jan Smit? Smit seems to be a very common name in the Netherlands and I would think that Jan might be also. Kind of like being John Smith here in the US!

Capt. Vincent Smit is on the Nieuw Amsterdam and I have seen others with that last name as officers before.

Are you absolutely sure that is the same Jan Smit? Smit seems to be a very common name in the Netherlands and I would think that Jan might be also. Kind of like being John Smith here in the US!

Capt. Vincent Smit is on the Nieuw Amsterdam and I have seen others with that last name as officers before.

Take a look at the HALBlog photo. This is the Captain I know as Jan Smit from the Zaandam for several years.

We met Captain Jan Smit years and years ago on the Ryndam.

Does sound as though he is getting prepped for a new ship.

That's quite a big change for him. Ryndam to Eurodam, he probably has a lot to learn about a ship that new.

It was very good and relaxing. I have mentioned in another thread about the production show Encore, it was Great. The Maasdam surprised us in that we did not realize it was second smallest Hal ship. It was wonderful and you got to meet and chat with the same people more often. It was like you recognized and knew everyone. We hope to cruise again on the Maasdam.

It was very good and relaxing. I have mentioned in another thread about the production show Encore, it was Great. The Maasdam surprised us in that we did not realize it was second smallest Hal ship. It was wonderful and you got to meet and chat with the same people more often. It was like you recognized and knew everyone. We hope to cruise again on the Maasdam.

Maasdam is the second in the series of four sisters.

She is one of the so-called "S" ships seeing her older sister, Statendam, is the oldest of the four. Maasdam came next, then Ryndam and finally Veendam. Veendam, of course, was modified and her size, weight, aft Navigation and Lido decks were changed.

Prinsendam is the smallest ship in the fleet, then the three "S" sisters aside from Veendam and finally Veendam in terms of smallest upwards.

Maasdam is one of our two favorite ships and we have sailed her 36 times. :)

Also just off the Maasdam. I thought our version of Captain Smit (seems to be more than one) was very good. His daily "voice from the bridge" talks were always interesting, and he seemed to be genuinely concerned about making the Maasdam itself a part of the destination. Some previous captains have left me with the impression that they were merely driving a large bus from stop to stop, and that one ship was very much like another. Whether due to the influence of Captain Smit or otherwise, the Maasdam gave the impression of being unique unto herself; her own port of call, so to speak.

Archived