Ensenada as Port of disembarkation

sarleo

Sorry for my incorrect reply. The original post didn't specity Celebrity Solstice. This is the first time disembarking and embarking in Ensenada, so it slipped my mind. As far as the OP, you would need to take the transfer to San Diego or Los Angeles airport and fly from there to Philly. I would advise an overnight hotel stay in San Diego. It is unlikely that you will be able to catch a flight before noon or even 1 pm.

David

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360810&page=79

Anyone considering a cruise that ends in Ensenada should read some of the posts on the roll-call thread above (March 23, 2012, Hawaii to Ensenada -- starting with post # 1565, pages 79-81).

We were booked on a later round-trip Sand Diego to Hawaii cruise, and I was intently following this roll-call for information about some reported propulsion problems on Century. Some of their stories indicate the Ensenada disembarkation/transfer process went well. For others (depending on which bus they were on) it sounded like the Bataan Death March! :eek: Personally, after hearing some of these first-hand accounts, I would think long and hard about taking any cruise that began or ended in Ensenada. :rolleyes:

WOW!!

That is HORRIFYING experiences--just to get to airport!!!

I wonder what is the pecking order vfor the busses--How do you get on one of the first---Do they allow elites on first?

frank

From memory there wa no pecking order. We live in San Diego and were on the bus with individuals who were flying out of San Diego at 11:30am, may have been #27. They cut it very close if they made the flights. I personally would not book any flight before 2-3pm just to be safe. There is no telling what is going to happen with the transport and border crossing. We were very fortunate as our wait was less than 2 hours, bus was in okay shape and did not get stopped by US authorities, plus the driver knew how to find the San Ysidro crossing.

Those on board with a b2b will debark and reboard just as on any other b2b. If you check the Celebrity site, you will even find some tours in Ensenada for those staying with the ship.

That would only be true if someone was on multiple back-to-backs. A back-to-back where the first cruise starts in Hawaii and the second cruise ends in Seattle would not be legal per the PVSA.

That would only be true if someone was on multiple back-to-backs. A back-to-back where the first cruise starts in Hawaii and the second cruise ends in Seattle would not be legal per the PVSA.

That is what the whole thread is about!!! Those on board will be legally able to be on board.

The Ensenada to Seattle portion makes a stop in Victoria, making it legal.

Legal for what? It does not make it legal if one were to take the cruise as a back-to-back with the first cruise starting in Hawaii and the second cruise ending in Seattle. Only way this would be legal would be if the ship called at a DISTANT foreign port on the way; neither Ensenada nor Victoria are foreign ports. A cruise from Ensenada to Seattle does not even need to stop in Victoria for it to be legal (as Ensenada is a foreign port). The Victoria stop is simply because it is an attractive port to make a stop - it has nothing to do with the PVSA.

:DThere are 26 people on the roll call for the Hawaii-Ensenada cruise that will board in Sydney. All of them are legal passengers to continue on to Seattle. Many folks came to the roll call and asked about doing a b2b and were all rebuffed by Celebrity no matter how creative they tried to be about getting off the ship, spending the night in San Diego and joining back then. Everyone who boarded in Honolulu has to end their cruise in Ensenada and cannot go on to Seattle. It's a shame because that would be a fantastic b2b.

In my opinion, Victoria is not needed to satisfy any foreign port requirement because the cruise does not start in one US city and end in another. In this particular case, it is just a nice port to add to the itinerary. And it won't satisfy the requirement for a Honolulu-Seattle trip as neither Canada nor Mexico are DISTANT foreign ports.

Edit - Gonzo and I obviously think a lot alike!

That is what the whole thread is about!!! Those on board will be legally able to be on board.

Actually the thread was not about this, but on how one gets to a US airport at the end of a cruise that ends in Ensenada. The OP was not doing a back-to-back. It was a later question that came up mid-thread about the PVSA (not the Jones Act which has nothing to do with cruise ships).

In my opinion, Victoria is not needed to satisfy any foreign port requirement because the cruise does not start in one US city and end in another. In this particular case, it is just a nice port to add to the itinerary. And it won't satisfy the requirement for a Honolulu-Seattle trip as neither Canada nor Mexico are DISTANT foreign ports.

That is correct.

Disney had a problem with this same type situation earlier this year when people were booked on a B2B Seattle-Vancouver, Vancouver-LA. Disney took/accepted reservations for the B2B, said all we well, then closer to departure was notified by authorities the itinerary was illegal. People had to choose which sailing to retain and which one to cancel -- they weren't allowed to sail both.

We experienced this same problem back in 2002 when we had booked a B2B on HAL from San Francisco to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Seattle. Immigration authorities notified HAL 10 days before departure (we already had been issued our documents) the itinerary was illegal. Same outcome - we could sail one but not both voyages.

The clincher here is to board in Sydney if you wish to sail all the way to Seattle! Honolulu-Ensenada-Seattle won't cut it...

Actually the thread was not about this, but on how one gets to a US airport at the end of a cruise that ends in Ensenada. The OP was not doing a back-to-back. It was a later question that came up mid-thread about the PVSA (not the Jones Act which has nothing to do with cruise ships).

The information I have states: "The Jones Act requires foreign flagged vessels to make a stop at a foreign port when sailing into or out of US. Alaska cruises will start in Vancouver, end in Vancouver so this complies, and those that start and end in Seattle, SF, etc. will make a stop at a Canadian port such as victoria for a few hours."

The information I have states: "The Jones Act requires foreign flagged vessels to make a stop at a foreign port when sailing into or out of US. Alaska cruises will start in Vancouver, end in Vancouver so this complies, and those that start and end in Seattle, SF, etc. will make a stop at a Canadian port such as victoria for a few hours."

The Jones Act is a similar act (cabotage) but impact cargo ships/transportation of goods. It is the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) that impacts the transportation of people - and therefore cruise ships. Also a cruise that starts in Vancouver can end in any US port and likewise a cruise can start ina US port and end in Vancouver. It is only cruises that start and end in US ports that the PVSA impacts (and when taking back-to-backs what matters is the first port where one's voyage begins and the last port where one's voyage ends).

Sorry, but I respectfully must disagree. The PSVA has to do with the passengers and the Jones Act has to do with the ship. The PSVA prevents one from embarking in one US port and debarking in a different one without visiting a DISTANT foreign port. The Jones Act states that the ship has to visit any plain old foreign port. This is a big advantage NCL has doing Hawaii. Since it is a US flagged vessel, it does not have to do a foreign port.

[quote name='3418ahl']Sorry, but I respectfully must disagree. The PSVA has to do with the passengers and the Jones Act has to do with the ship. The PSVA prevents one from embarking in one US port and debarking in a different one without visiting a DISTANT foreign port. The Jones Act states that the ship has to visit any plain old foreign port. This is a big advantage NCL has doing Hawaii. Since it is a US flagged vessel, it does not have to do a foreign port.[/quote]

You are welcome to disagree, but that does not change the fact that the Jones Act pertains to cargo vessels.

Boy, my question got a heated discussion!! Thank you for your responses. It would be so nice if we could end the cruise in San Diego, but now I understand the reason it can't. :mad:

But, I will still have a great time-it is vacation and a cruise!:)

[quote name='bob278']:DThere are 26 people on the roll call for the Hawaii-Ensenada cruise that will board in Sydney. All of them are legal passengers to continue on to Seattle.......[/quote][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]Bob278 has provided the correct explanation right there.

Embarking in Sydney (a foreign port) and disembarking in Seattle (a US port) is legal.

Embarking in Ensenada (a foreign port) and disembarking in Seattle (a US port) is legal.

But...... embarking in Honolulu (a US port) and disembarking in Seattle (a US port) is illegal.

It does not matter how many cruise segments are involved.
The vessel (i.e., the ship) is not allowed to transport passengers between two different US ports without stopping at a [B]distant[/B] foreign port.

As already pointed out numerous times on this bo[SIZE=3]ard[/SIZE], neither Ensenada nor Victoria qualifies as a distant foreign port.
[SIZE=3]

[/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='3418ahl']Sorry, but I respectfully must disagree. The PSVA has to do with the passengers and the Jones Act has to do with the ship. The PSVA prevents one from embarking in one US port and debarking in a different one without visiting a DISTANT foreign port. The Jones Act states that the ship has to visit any plain old foreign port. This is a big advantage NCL has doing Hawaii. Since it is a US flagged vessel, it does not have to do a foreign port.[/quote]

Sorry, but Gonzo is correct. Jones Act = Cargo, PVSA includes Cruise Ships and their Passengers.

The rest of your post is correct, it's just the wrong act. But to hit on your other post about Victoria for Solstice..It's a moot point because the cruise is starting outside the US. There is no need for Solstice to visit a foreign port because she's not starting in the US.

[quote name='3418ahl'][url]http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/what-is-the-jones-act-and-what-it-means-for-cruise-travelers/[/url][/QUOTE]

They are very often mixed up. It was the jones act they suspended during the BP clean up. Google PVSA vs Jones act and you should find lots of info

I don't think they are mixed up. The psva was originally part of the Jones Act (a section called "cabotage" applying to passengers). This section was turned into the PSVA, but believe what you will as to who is mixed up.

[quote name='3418ahl']I don't think they are mixed up. The psva was originally part of the Jones Act (a section called "cabotage" applying to passengers). This section was turned into the PSVA, but believe what you will as to who is mixed up.[/QUOTE]

Whatever makes you sleep at night. For anyone else reading this, the law that effects cruise ships is the PVSA

As you say, does not really matter...end result is one still cannot go on a trip other than with a stop in a foreign port of one sort or another. Unfortunately, not all of them are nice or interesting. It is also a shame that the Ensenada to Seattle cruise does not seem to be booking well so far, and I am assuming it is due to the departure point.

I believe one couple was able to book the B2B from Hawaii to Seattle, but instead of taking the full B2B, they are debarking in Victoria, which does not violate the act. Celebrity is booking it as a "partial" cruise. If one really wishes to take the b2b, they can look at this option and call Celebrity.

[quote name='3418ahl']As you say, does not really matter...end result is one still cannot go on a trip other than with a stop in a foreign port of one sort or another. Unfortunately, not all of them are nice or interesting. It is also a shame that the Ensenada to Seattle cruise does not seem to be booking well so far, and I am assuming it is due to the departure point.

I believe one couple was able to book the B2B from Hawaii to Seattle, but instead of taking the full B2B, they are debarking in Victoria, which does not violate the act. Celebrity is booking it as a "partial" cruise. If one really wishes to take the b2b, they can look at this option and call Celebrity.[/quote]

It's the price Celebrity is paying for using an S Class ship on this route. If it were Millennium we wouldn't be having this conversation as she'd fit into Vancouver and not have to go to Seattle. Embarking or disembarking in Ensenada would not be my first choice for a cruise.

Archived