Free drinks package offer for UK bookings

iandjm

I know it sounds like I am moaning but I am booked on Eclipse for September 2013 to the Med and have just read the new UK booking offer giving a free drinks package for all new bookings. I appreciate I have already booked, but wouldnt it be nice if we were offered the chance to move to the new booking promotion, or a half price drinks package offer to take away the sour taste the new offer leaves you with? Either that or I feel I will simply cancel and rebook on Cunard. It seems that these days you are penalised for early booking.

Ian

I was called back by the agent a bit later and told Celebrity had called them back, and were offering a free cancellation so I could rebook with the new offer. When the prices were investigated it was going to cost £400 per persn more for the booking. I guess Ia m better off staying with the original booking eh.

Ian

I would be proper annoyed too; the drinks package is worth such a lot. How many days is your cruise for? Is it the Premium package that's included?

I've seen a few RCI offers including drinks packages: my friends have booked one, but not seen any Celebrity cruises offering it so far.

I don't think they should be obliged to offer anything in retrospect for old bookings tbh as they are entitled to do whatever it takes to get new bookings, but I would feel like cancelling too! :mad:

The press release which is being discussed in another thread states that they are looking for early bookings rather than people hanging on for deals. This drinks package offer makes me more determined never to book early again!

I was called back by the agent a bit later and told Celebrity had called them back, and were offering a free cancellation so I could rebook with the new offer. When the prices were investigated it was going to cost £400 per persn more for the booking. I guess Ia m better off staying with the original booking eh.

Ian

Talk about rubbing salt in the wound! :(

"Free" drink package when you book for $400 (sorry, no pound symbol) more sounds like they have added the cost of the package to the price. If the price had stayed the same and the "free" drink package were now part of the deal you should feel bummed. But since there is no such thing as a free lunch, and you are not paying, then you can still go on the cruise and believe that you are not getting %^&* ;)

I think it is the whole picture that needs to be looked at. There is a current incentive to book cruises but those who booked early got a better price [as well as full choice of rooms]. I am watching a number of cruises at the moment and the UK price has risen on every one where the categories I am watching have not sold out. I have never regretted booking early and usually book on the day a cruise is released for sale.

Sue

"Free" drink package when you book for $400 (sorry, no pound symbol) more sounds like they have added the cost of the package to the price. If the price had stayed the same and the "free" drink package were now part of the deal you should feel bummed. But since there is no such thing as a free lunch, and you are not paying, then you can still go on the cruise and believe that you are not getting %^&* ;)

Guess when you put it that way, it's just swings and roundabouts. If the new booking price is £400 more (to everyone, not just the people who want to cancel and rebook) to include the drinks package, then it's not really free at all is it? :rolleyes:

Before doing anything just check - our cruise was booked some months ago, the price went up last month and is now approx £1000 more than we have paid. Two of the drinks packages offered as free would cost us £700 so I see no reason to be upset by this offer in terms of its fairness

What I do worry about and I prepare to be flamed, is the type of UK passengers who may now be attracted to this cruise because its "free bevvy" and the impact on bar service, dining room wine service etc throughout the cruise

What I do worry about and I prepare to be flamed, is the type of UK passengers who may now be attracted to this cruise because its "free bevvy" and the impact on bar service, dining room wine service etc throughout the cruise

Well, I will NOT flame you for saying so. I think that you could well be correct.

Sue

Nothing is "free" No company is required to give anything away, tp orice match, drop prices, refund r cancel. No one forces us to book with any one line or another. When you ooked you obviously felt comfortable with price point. The decision is now yours as how to proceed.

If ypu book a non refundable fare with an airline, and the price drops, well there is no discussion. I don't see why people "expect" ths from the cruise line. I can understand .disappointment" but the cruise line is not obligated to take care of that.

Well, I will NOT flame you for saying so. I think that you could well be correct.

Sue

I have heard from friends on cruises from the UK that

The behaviour of some of the Passengers was not the best.

They advised me not to sail from the UK.

The Drink culture in the UK is getting so out of hand,

it will be very interesting to see the reviews/ feedback after the cruises,

I have heard from friends on cruises from the UK that

The behaviour of some of the Passengers was not the best.

They advised me not to sail from the UK.

The Drink culture in the UK is getting so out of hand,

it will be very interesting to see the reviews/ feedback after the cruises,

Us Americans are so well behaved :)

cant argue that many of our young drink too much, you only need to watch our reality TV programs to see it, of course in the UK you can drink at 18.

But I believe people will drink too much even if they have to pay, We were on P&O Ventura one year and 6 people were put ashore for getting drunk and fighting, that was a result of too many sea days with the bars open all day.

On the other hand Silversea and Regent are all inclusive - I didnt see anyone who was drunk, but we all had as much as we wanted.

Alan

It seems like they are raising base prices then giving out OBC's and now "free drinks" I am not a fan. We booked early this year for 2013 and actually got a better price than any of these other deals now being floated. But I'm wondering if they are introducing new base prices and in 2014 the extra incentives will disappear. Azamara did that, we switched to Celebrity, hate to see this happen again and have to find a new cruise home!

It does seem annoying. I've just seen this offer on my social networking account. But in hindsight it is true that the prices have gone up (£300 pp) for the cabin I booked and I also got $700 OBC on the booking. I also got the room I wanted (accessible cabin with verandah) and they've been sold out of these for some time on my sailing. I have no real reason to complain.

Ian

Since it appears you are on a 14 night sailing, it may still be worth it to cancel and rebook for 400 Euro more.

cant argue that many of our young drink too much, you only need to watch our reality TV programs to see it, of course in the UK you can drink at 18.

But I believe people will drink too much even if they have to pay, We were on P&O Ventura one year and 6 people were put ashore for getting drunk and fighting, that was a result of too many sea days with the bars open all day.

On the other hand Silversea and Regent are all inclusive - I didnt see anyone who was drunk, but we all had as much as we wanted.

Alan

Alan, good points, I think though those who go on Silversea and Regent are not of the mindset of "oh the drink is free lets have another and another" We were on a Celebrity cruise out of Southampton that attracted several P and O guests and there was instances involving too much alcohol and some "loutish" behaviour by some British guests who were old enough to know better

Archived