No Fee Airline (SWA) to institue new and additional fees

klfrodo

Beginning sometime next year, Southwest will add a "no-show" fee that will apply customers who miss a flight but fail to cancel their seat prior to takeoff.

•Southwest will boost the price of its Early-Bird Check-in option from $10 to $12.50,

•Fees for overweight bags will rise from $50 to $100

•Southwest said it expects to add $100 million in revenue in 2013

full story at http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2012/12/14/southwest-airlines-to-add-a-no-show-fee-in-2013/1770127

I am not sure where you got the idea for the title of your post but SWA never said they were "no fees." You admitted as much when you then said "additional" fees. Those fees are all easily avoidable fortunately. Though I dont fly SWA much myself they must be doing something right - they carry more domestic passengers than any other airline.

Just not showing up without canceling should be charged a hefty fee by any airline. That is just common courtesy to cancel any reservation that you are not going to honor.

Once as a Southwest gate agent was handing me a 400 dollar certificate for taking a bump she called a passengers name another passenger said "oh he decided not to go today”. Gate agent was not happy said it wasn’t the first time, surprised they haven’t instituted a fee before.

The title of your post is wrong .. Southwest Airlines has never claimed to not have any fees. I don't know where you came up with that.

:) thanks for the catch. You and Frugal are correct. I should have used the word "frills" instead. No Frills Airline

Thanks for sharing the article.

In the end, the revenue has to come from somewhere. And if others are charging for some of these items as add ons then they can't just include it the overall airline fee. Wish they all would though.

The no show fee makes a lot of sense given how their pricing structure works.

Keith

:) thanks for the catch. You and Frugal are correct. I should have used the word "frills" instead. No Frills Airline

Well that wouldnt really identify SWA either. Most US airlines are "no frills" these days. In fact I got fewer frills from USAirways last week than I have ever gotten from SWA in the air. Checked luggage fees were irrelevat - for my weeklong trip I only had carry on. No need to change my ticket after booking but if I did SWA would have been more lenient than US. Just sayin.

Well that wouldnt really identify SWA either. Most US airlines are "no frills" these days. In fact I got fewer frills from USAirways last week than I have ever gotten from SWA in the air. Checked luggage fees were irrelevat - for my weeklong trip I only had carry on. No need to change my ticket after booking but if I did SWA would have been more lenient than US. Just sayin.

You're too funny :D

Anything else you want to nit pik on? All i did was report an interesting story. You sure you don't want to also correct me on the fact that I used SWA instead of correctly identifying Southwest as WN?

If its that important for you to be more correct than me regarding the title of my thread, then I bow to your superiority.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. (or am I incorrect on that also?)

You're too funny :D

Anything else you want to nit pik on? All i did was report an interesting story. You sure you don't want to also correct me on the fact that I used SWA instead of correctly identifying Southwest as WN?

If its that important for you to be more correct than me regarding the title of my thread, then I bow to your superiority.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. (or am I incorrect on that also?)

Don't let it get to you.... just remember to put on your thick skin and a helmet before posting on this board !! ;) :)

Gettin' back to the original issue.....I would assume they would waive the fee for being a "no show" if the reason you missed your flight is because the flight you are on to connect arrives too late for you to make the connection.

Gettin' back to the original issue.....I would assume they would waive the fee for being a "no show" if the reason you missed your flight is because the flight you are on to connect arrives too late for you to make the connection.

I would assume that is the case as charging a fee would not make any sense in this situation. But to be 100% sure best to check with the airline.

Keith

Archived